Notifications
Clear all

[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070  

of  8
  RSS

harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

I have the AORUS 1080 box and I use it to play Prey and Wolfenstein II on my 2017 MBP. I like the fact that it's all relatively portable and I can take the laptop and the box and play on the TV or on my computer monitor. The only problem? Fan noise.

If you want to replace the fans here's how:

First the box itself has two fans next to the PSU and on the other side of the video card. These serve to expel the hot air that would otherwise be trapped between the GTX1080 and the PSU. The fans are 40mmx10mm PowerLogic and are LOUD. The PSU fan is an ADDA (they make quality fans) but still unnecessarily loud. IMHO, Gigabyte could have used a PSU with a temp controlled fan and they could have used 80 mm / 92mm fans either on the front panel or on the sides. Why they chose to build the box in this manner is beyond me.

Side fans: (note that they're 2-pin, wired in parallel and the leads are short). These come from PowerLogic. I have not been able to figure out their CFM rating but it seems to be pretty high - like definitely 6-7 CFM.

PSU fan: From ADDA US the specs are 8.8 CFM @ 7800 RPM and 36dBA (  http://www.adda.com.tw/data/file/AD4020.pdf)

Replacement fans. I wanted to choose replacement fans that were high quality, didn't cost a small fortune (e.g.: the Noctua fans were priced at 3x the cost of the Scythe replacements) and were 2-pin.

Replacement Side fans: I chose Scythe SY12124010L. These do 4.11 CFM @ 14dB and 3500rpm ( http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/mini-kaze.html) and don't cost that much. This is what they look like wired in parallel and with the proper connector.

Replacement PSU fan: Sunon KDE1204PKV1: This does 8.9 CFM @ 25.5 dB and 7200 rpm. It's a lot quieter and smoother than the ADDA. The new Sunon fans have different model numbers but are functionally equivalent.

DO NOT replace the PSU fan with one that has a much lower CFM rating - doing so is asking for trouble. The PSU is very compact and runs hot. It needs the cooling fan!

All the fans in the AORUS box have JST PH 2-pin headers. Which means they look like this:

If you're working with RC batteries, Raspberry PI or Arduino - these should be familiar. If not - grab a crimping tool (any will do - for example the IWISS SN-2549 or the Engineer PA-09). Grab whatever crimping tool you like and crimp 2-pin connectors to the fans. Measure the lead length so that it is a perfect fit. There's not much space either in the PSU or the box itself. Shorter leads will mean the fan wont fit and longer leads are not particularly safe or useful - especially in the PSU. 

Side cooling: AC Infinity 120mm USB fan: 52CFM @ 18dB and 1300 rpm. This is a USB fan that conveniently runs off one of the the USB ports on the AORUS 1080, and extracts the hot air from the video card and the PSU. It's super quiet, I run it at low or mid and cannot hear it over the GPU fan. It makes a big difference to the overall box temps. Before this I was considering swapping out the top side fan for a Scythe 40mmx20mm. A 20mm thick fan will not fit in the lower fan slot. However this is now unnecessary.

Does all this work? Here's my GPU temps running Prey maxed out at 4K:

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

T430up, Arzen, comfycat and 5 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Excellent work! Thank you for documenting and sharing the fan replacement process in the AORUS Gaming Box.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Awesome! Thanks very much harshw!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
Markus Koepke
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the guide 1What kind of performance are you getting on your Macbook, fps / resolution wise on Prey? I have the same machine and will be getting the Gaming box 1080 soon. Was wondering if purchasing a 4K screen makes sense? Will the Macbook get to 60fps on 4k with the box?

Oh, and another (potentially dumb) question regarding your fan replacement: did you attach the "AC Infinity 120mm USB fan" to the outside of the box, as shown in the picture? or does the box have a big fan like this inside which you swapped out? In case of the former, how did you attach the fan to the outside – and is it not inconvenient? Is it necessary to add this fan when switching out the other ones? Thanks a lot!

Macbook Pro Touchbar 2017 i7 3.1Ghz Kaby Lake 16GB Ram | Aorus Gaming Box 1080 | HTC Vive

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ghostronaut

Thanks for the guide 1What kind of performance are you getting on your Macbook, fps / resolution wise on Prey? I have the same machine and will be getting the Gaming box 1080 soon. Was wondering if purchasing a 4K screen makes sense? Will the Macbook get to 60fps on 4k with the box?

Oh, and another (potentially dumb) question regarding your fan replacement: did you attach the "AC Infinity 120mm USB fan" to the outside of the box, as shown in the picture? or does the box have a big fan like this inside which you swapped out? In case of the former, how did you attach the fan to the outside – and is it not inconvenient? Is it necessary to add this fan when switching out the other ones? Thanks a lot!

I get 50-60 FPS @ 4K and medium detail settings. Be sure to turn vsync off in the game as well. I’ll post some screenshots with the FPS later. Overall the game is quite smooth and I didn’t notice any slowdowns. The real fun is when I can take the MacBookPro and connect it to the GPU and also connect it to my HDTV for some big screen 4K gaming Smile

As for the 120mm fan - it’s an external fan powered by USB. The enclosure itself only has the two 40mm fans on the side and the one 40mm fan that’s inside the PSU. The GPU has the single 92mm fan attached to it. There are no other fans in the enclosure.

The USB fan comes with a grill on both sides and can stand on its own. Here’s the link:  https://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s3-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-120mm/

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Markus Koepke
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member

I get 50-60 FPS @ 4K and medium detail settings. Be sure to turn vsync off in the game as well. I’ll post some screenshots with the FPS later. Overall the game is quite smooth and I didn’t notice any slowdowns. The real fun is when I can take the MacBookPro and connect it to the GPU and also connect it to my HDTV for some big screen 4K gaming Smile

That sounds great! Do you get that kind of performance on the internal screen or already hooked up to an external display? On reddit some people say the performance is really bad when using the internal screen.

As for the 120mm fan - it’s an external fan powered by USB. The enclosure itself only has the two 40mm fans on the side and the one 40mm fan that’s inside the PSU. The GPU has the single 92mm fan attached to it. There are no other fans in the enclosure.

The USB fan comes with a grill on both sides and can stand on its own. Here’s the link:  https://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s3-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-120mm/

I see! So did you get that external fan just to get the entire temps even lower, thus reducing the internal fan speeds – or is it a necessity? Because I would like to keep the box mobile and adding another fan on the outside would kind of bug me, I guess. 

Macbook Pro Touchbar 2017 i7 3.1Ghz Kaby Lake 16GB Ram | Aorus Gaming Box 1080 | HTC Vive

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ghostronaut

That sounds great! Do you get that kind of performance on the internal screen or already hooked up to an external display? On reddit some people say the performance is really bad when using the internal screen.

I see! So did you get that external fan just to get the entire temps even lower, thus reducing the internal fan speeds – or is it a necessity? Because I would like to keep the box mobile and adding another fan on the outside would kind of bug me, I guess. 

This is with external monitors. I didn't even try with the internal monitor.

If you don't want the external fan, try putting a Sunon 40mm x 20mm to the TOP of the twin fan config on the side. This is louder (25dB) than the Scythe (14dB) but does 8.9 CFM. Remember the total noise is actually decided by the max dB rating of all the fans. Since you already would have a 25 dB PSU fan, putting one more fan on the side in lieu of the 14dB one will not really affect the overall noise level. Check the GPU temps and the box temps (although you would need a laser thermometer for that). The original side fans are high CFM for a reason Smile

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Thanks for this guide, may try as you stated, put two 20mm thick sunons, one in the PSU, and the other in the top slot, with they scythe on the lower.  I'm only tempted because I love projects like these.  Because I use a 2m cable, I can tuck the AGB 1070 out of sight and mask the industrial sound it makes after an hour of gaming.  Perhaps with this mod, it will be more pleasant to have on the desk and it's fun to poke around inside and see what this thing is made of.

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9575 (VegaMGL) [8th,4C,G] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Partially completed project here.  A few points

I ended up installing two 40x20mm Sunon fans (rated at 8200 RPM/10.2CFM/27 dBA) - so not the same as the OP.  I placed one in the PSU, and the other along with the Scythe 40x10 in the chassis - the screws used to secure the 10mm thick fans don't really work with the 20mm...I ended up using a drill to "countersink" the posts a bit along with a little removable adhesive tape.

IMG 0132

The specific Sunon Maglev I bought was actually louder than stock when running as the chassis fan (but moves a ton of air), so I'm currently using a ~200 ohm resister to cut voltage to around 5V.  The Scythe 10mm fan is very quiet.  I plan to source a new 40x20 and second Scythe.  It's a GDCTech (5800 RPM/8.3CFM/22 dBA) - I think I will end up with the GDCTech in the PSU, an two Scythe 10mm fans for the chassis.

The PSU fan is voltage regulated by the PSU.  It defaults a little over 4V on a cold startup - I don't know what it ramps up to, but it's not the full 12V.  The chassis fans run at 12V from boot as far as I can tell.

The header leads I bought needed to be wired in reverse (so red to black on the fan, and black to red on the fan leads)

Even with my shoddy EE work - the results are an impressive reduction in sound output.  Add to that that the sound profile is more pleasing (it's more whooshing than buzzing or industrial sounding).

Here is table of my results measuring from multiple points

Measurement Before After
6" above trackpad 45 41.6
GTX 1070 Fan 55.4 50.7
PSU Fan 50.3 47.4
Chassis Fan 55.2 50.3
GPU Temp* 75C 73C

* This is after 1 hour of Unigine Heaven Benchmark running on loop

IMG 0122
IMG 0136

Based on the reduced temp under load - I think the two Scythe 10mm fans will be sufficient in the chassis without worry (and no resistor).  Since the PSU regulates voltage on the other fan, my Sunon may stay in there since it can get up to over 10CFM, but I may try the GDCTech in there to see if I can cut sound output even more. I may also leave the PSU alone and put that GDCTech in as the second fan.  Not sure yet.

Update:

I wanted to say I finalized my setup.  I decided to stick with two of these:

Sunon 40x40x20 Fan

The one in the PSU is already voltage regulated - and at 12V max, the fan can be fairly loud, but I'm not noticing that the PSU drives the fan to that voltage(yet).  On the chassis, I used a 1/2 watt 150 ohm resistor to cut the fan noise to a level that's on par with the scythe, but pushes significantly more air.

The GDSTime 40x40x20 is a solid alternative ( GDS Time 40x40x20) , and comes with long post screws which are useful to mount the 20mm fan in the chassis mount.  However, I found it to be loud enough at 12V that it still needed a resistor to cut the RPMs and the overall fan profile was a bit more whiny/buzzy than the Sunon.  Also, I noticed when I put the GDSTime in the PSU, it was VERY quiet, but seemed to push significantly less air.  I'm erring on the side of a fan with higher CFM for now.  

This whole setup is so much quieter, not only in sound output, but there is no industrial sounding buzzing/whirring - it is a much more pleasing sound profile.  Thanks so much to the OP for pioneering the way here!  If anyone has any questions, I'd love to hear them.

I highly recommend this mod for even moderately skilled DIYers - I have no problem gaming with the Aorus Gaming Box right next to the laptop.  For the most part, the laptop speakers completely eclipse the fan noise from the box, and it is actually running cooler now (at least the GPU).

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9575 (VegaMGL) [8th,4C,G] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
WHC
 WHC
(@whc)

Very good work.

Could you kindly advise me about "wired in parallel" between two side fans?

I am now confused because there is only one connector but the fans work together.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

i4min liked
ReplyQuote
 of  8