[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070

Notifications
Clear all

[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070  

of  9
  RSS

i4min
(@i4min)

@usafballer, amazing work, and thanks a lot for explaining your process and outlining multiple options.

Are you still happy with the setup? I'm planning to work on my new 1080 box, and am looking for a fool-proof setup, as the last time I did DUI work was a few years ago.

If I'm reading your steps correctly, the easiest setup would be:
- Sunon 40x40x20 Fan in the PSU
Scythe SY12124010L as the lower side
GDS Time 40x40x20 as the upper side fan (I wonder how much of a difference it would make to run that without a resistor to simplify setup)

Would it be too much to ask what other tools/parts would be needed for the project? Would I need a crimping tool to replace the connectors on all of these? 
I also wonder if I could get away with using a Noctua NF-A4x10 and Noctua NF-40x20 (4.8CFM + 5.5CFM) on the side, given that 1080 GPU has a larger fan compared to 1070 and would push some more air around the box.

Sorry if some of these questions are naive, any advice is highly appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

dream3 liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

@harshw So the ac infinity fan is not mounted in the box? just standing there?

@usafballer Do you think that sunon 40x20mm kpvx is less loud than the stock psu fan? Thinking whether it is worth the hassle or not

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

@dream3 I'm not @usafballer, but I did a bit of research and found that Sunon pkvx pushes 10.2 CFM @ 8,200 RPM and 27 dBA. According to OP, stock is 8.8 CFM @ 7800 RPM and 36dBA.

This discussion points out that the difference in noise between 27 and 36 is 10x objectively, which for human ear sounds twice as loud.

I'm very far from a DUI overclocking expert, but judging on pure numbers, the difference would be drastic. Especially if PSU unit regulates fan based on temperature, which would make Sunon operate at lower voltages than stock for the same airflow. Otherwise you can get the PKV1 that has exact airflow of the stock at 25.5 dBA, but it's a bit harder to find, being discontinued.

I went with PKVX, will report in 2 weeks when I have time to install it and test.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

@i4min you are right, the PKVX would be less loud and push more air. However I noticed it requires 1.4W at 12V, so 0.12A instead of the 0.10A from the stock fan.
I do no understand electrical jargon that much but wouldn't that put too much strain on the PSU internals?

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

@dream3 these are such microcurrents that it wouldn't move the needle at all. Besides, both @harshw and @usaballer used Sunons and ran extensive tests - so you shouldn't be worried about stability.

dream3 liked
ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member

Greetings! Thanks @harshw and @usafballer and everyone else for exploring this mod. I have the opposite problem addressed in this thread: my fans are too quiet!

I have the AORUS Gtx 1080 Gaming Box, running off a 2013 Macbook Pro, via a TB3 > TB2 adapter, and I believe this is throwing the drivers for a loop when I run Windows 10 via Bootcamp. The fans run weakly; it may be that only some of them are getting power, or that they're not getting proper speed adjustments from the drivers. I think the USB ports also don't connect to the laptop, if this is any clue. The main center fan spins and speeds up under load, but it's marginal. Also, the LED lights never come on.

Just for reference, under macOS the same gaming box performers loudly! Lights, fans, USB and everything, so it's just a mix-up under bootcamp Windows 10 which unfortunately is where I do all of my gaming.

So I came upon this thread because I'm thinking about modding the fans as a work around. Alternatively I'll also try messing with the various AORUS apps for changing fan speeds. Any suggestions?

Also wondering, what is that empty 4-pin connection near the 2-pin 40mm fan connection? For more fans perhaps?

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: dream3

@harshw So the ac infinity fan is not mounted in the box? just standing there?

@usafballer Do you think that sunon 40x20mm kpvx is less loud than the stock psu fan? Thinking whether it is worth the hassle or not

The AC Infinity Fan is just standing there, it isnt mounted. It can stand on its edge and is quite stable, i.e. it will not fall over

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: comfycat

Greetings! Thanks @harshw and @usafballer and everyone else for exploring this mod. I have the opposite problem addressed in this thread: my fans are too quiet!

I have the AORUS Gtx 1080 Gaming Box, running off a 2013 Macbook Pro, via a TB3 > TB2 adapter, and I believe this is throwing the drivers for a loop when I run Windows 10 via Bootcamp. The fans run weakly; it may be that only some of them are getting power, or that they're not getting proper speed adjustments from the drivers. I think the USB ports also don't connect to the laptop, if this is any clue. The main center fan spins and speeds up under load, but it's marginal. Also, the LED lights never come on.

Just for reference, under macOS the same gaming box performers loudly! Lights, fans, USB and everything, so it's just a mix-up under bootcamp Windows 10 which unfortunately is where I do all of my gaming.

So I came upon this thread because I'm thinking about modding the fans as a work around. Alternatively I'll also try messing with the various AORUS apps for changing fan speeds. Any suggestions?

Also wondering, what is that empty 4-pin connection near the 2-pin 40mm fan connection? For more fans perhaps?

The fans do spin up under MacOS - the main GPU fan spins at full speed. When you boot under Windows, the GPU fan spins down and so does the PSU fan (it's controlled). The two side fans spin at full speed regardless 

The best way to make sure that your fans are doing good is to watch the temps - what are the temps at idle and at load under Windows?

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

comfycat liked
ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: comfycat

Yeah it looks like a 4-pin Fan header doesn't it? Probably was meant to be a PWM controlled fan ... One of these days I will check the voltages on those pins ...

comfycat liked
ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member

Posted by: harsh
The fans do spin up under MacOS - the main GPU fan spins at full speed. When you boot under Windows, the GPU fan spins down and so does the PSU fan (it's controlled). The two side fans spin at full speed regardless

The best way to make sure that your fans are doing good is to watch the temps - what are the temps at idle and at load under Windows?

I've run the Unigine Heaven benchmark, on "Extreme", and the temps get up to 60C within the first ten minutes. I was able to adjust fan speed with the Aorus Game Engine application, which let me ramp up the fans, and this make it obvious that neither of the 40mm side fans are operating at all under Windows 10. The middle fan ramps up with the app controls, and marginally on automatic with the increase in temperature (I think it's generally a slower fan). No LEDs in Windows, and literally nothing from the 40mm. In macOS it's a different story; like I said, full everything. I found another user who said the same thing, similar configuration, also using the TB3 > TB2 adapter... Curious!

And just to clarify, I had the exact same problem with the Aorus 1070 gaming box, which I just returned, so it's not a faulty unit.

UPDATE: I just played Ghost Recon Wildlands for a couple hours, with the "auto" fan setting the temp got up to 87C, which makes me pretty nervous. I was able to manually force the fan speed to 100%, which caused it to speed up and brought the temp down to the 60C range again. Still pretty quiet, and no activity from the 40mms. Maybe I actually have something good going on here... I didn't like the LEDs anyways.

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.3 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  9