[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070

Notifications
Clear all

[GUIDE] Quiet fan replacement for AORUS Gaming Box GTX 1080/1070  

of  8
  RSS

(@mehdi_fanai)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Sorry I have been AFK for a bit here, spending time ramping up for a deployment so I've not had the time to browse the forums like usual.

If there are any outstanding questions, let me know if any need addressing.  I can report my eGPU has been working flawlessly since the fan mod.  Overall sound output stays in the low 40s even after hours of gaming.  I haven't seen any temp or stability issues yet.  You can definitely go with a resistor free setup, but I found the keep acoustics in check, it was required.  

Side fans are always operating at 12V unless you use a resistor, PSU fan is temp controlled and doesn't really ever hit 12V max.  I'd venture using two Scythe on the side fans and the Sunon I referenced in the PSU would be an easy setup without resistors, but I used a 150 ohm resistor for the sake of moving more air on the side.

As for tools, I used some soldering skills to attach the resistor and also some shrink tubing to secure things where I spliced any wires.  Other than that it's basic needle nose pliers, wire strippers, etc.

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9575 (VegaMGL) [8th,4C,G] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Posted by: i4min

@usafballer, amazing work, and thanks a lot for explaining your process and outlining multiple options.

Are you still happy with the setup? I'm planning to work on my new 1080 box, and am looking for a fool-proof setup, as the last time I did DUI work was a few years ago.

If I'm reading your steps correctly, the easiest setup would be:
- Sunon 40x40x20 Fan in the PSU
Scythe SY12124010L as the lower side
GDS Time 40x40x20 as the upper side fan (I wonder how much of a difference it would make to run that without a resistor to simplify setup)

Would it be too much to ask what other tools/parts would be needed for the project? Would I need a crimping tool to replace the connectors on all of these? 
I also wonder if I could get away with using a Noctua NF-A4x10 and Noctua NF-40x20 (4.8CFM + 5.5CFM) on the side, given that 1080 GPU has a larger fan compared to 1070 and would push some more air around the box.

Sorry if some of these questions are naive, any advice is highly appreciated!

I would recco going with two Scythe fans on the side if you want to avoid resistors, and one Sunon in the PSU.  The GDSTime was nice because it included the longer mounting screws which were compatible with the upper bracket on the side, but I ended up using two 40mm Sunon fans (one in the PSU and the other on the top side mount using the GDSTime screws - lol).  If you use two Scythe on the side, just run a benchmark and a game or two and monitor GPU temps for a while to see if all is well.  I know there is no way to assess the PSU temp inside the AORUS Box, so YMMV.  Without the resistor, I found both the specific Sunon model and GDSTime 40mm fan I bought didn't offer much of a change over stock fans in terms of noise!

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9575 (VegaMGL) [8th,4C,G] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

Thanks for the response! I ended up getting 2 Noctua fans (40x10 and 40x20) for the sides just to stay safe. Noise-wise they should be similar to 2x Scythe but will push a little more air.
I’ll report as soon as I get a chance to work on this setup next weekend.

Good to know that your setup has been stable! Are you running in macOS or Windows?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

I mainly run in bootcamp - don't find performance in Mac to be good enough in most titles - and I spent the time getting everything setup in Windows.  I have a few games I run off the iGPU that seems to work quite well in both OSes.  One day I hope for smooth hot plug capability in Windows though.  I've also debated just grabbing a Windows based ultrabook to pair with the eGPU - such a better experience.  Still prefer Mac OS for everything else though day to day.

ReplyQuote
i4min
(@i4min)

Posted by: usafballer

I mainly run in bootcamp - don't find performance in Mac to be good enough in most titles - and I spent the time getting everything setup in Windows.  I have a few games I run off the iGPU that seems to work quite well in both OSes.  One day I hope for smooth hot plug capability in Windows though.  I've also debated just grabbing a Windows based ultrabook to pair with the eGPU - such a better experience.  Still prefer Mac OS for everything else though day to day.

Got it! What issues are you still experiencing in Windows? Do the USB ports work? Do you have to disable some of the Thunderbolt ports?
i’m actually debating whether I should get a MacBook or a windows ultrabook as my secondary laptop, and it will depend a lot on how well eGPU is supported.

ReplyQuote
usafballer
(@usafballer)
Eminent Member

Posted by: i4min
Posted by: usafballer

Got it! What issues are you still experiencing in Windows? Do the USB ports work? Do you have to disable some of the Thunderbolt ports?
i’m actually debating whether I should get a MacBook or a windows ultrabook as my secondary laptop, and it will depend a lot on how well eGPU is supported. 

USB Ports work, I have a 4TB Western Digital and literally taped a Samsung T5 500GB SSD to it as well.  Both plug into the USB ports on the Aorus Box.  I use a BT connected Xbox One controller and a BT mouse.  I find that if I do plug something in the right side TB3 ports on the MacBook, I have issues.  I haven't formally disabled anything in device manager though, I just don't use the right side ports.  I also use a 3M cable as well and it works well with minimal loss in any sort of performance.  I also have prevented Windows from updating to the Fall creators update - because I had issues originally in that build.  I also run on the half H2D firmware if you can believe it, because performance deltas aren't enough, and I found that on the full-H2D firmware some games would crash every now and then when running off the external drives.  Additionally, I have to use a script to automate disable-and then re-enabling of audio devices in order to make sure my sound card works in bootcamp!

I am not happy that the thought that a driver or firmware update could render the eGPU non functioning with my MacBook.  Even though I adore the little thing, and this eGPU setup, it's quite a duck-tape like setup.  If you don't have a need for Mac OS, or prefer it heavily, and want to go eGPU, I would stay away from Mac, even though you *CAN* get it working.  Plugging an eGPU into my windows laptop (the Dell 7577) is a breeze in comparison, even though the performance upgrade on my 7577 doesn't really warrant the use of an eGPU at this point.  There are some huge advantages to the eGPU (mainly acoustics and that I can hide the device out of sight with a 3m cable), but a lot of that is offset by the fragility of the setup.

ReplyQuote
TheAlphaLion
(@thealphalion)

Posted by: harshw
Posted by: comfycat

Also wondering, what is that empty 4-pin connection near the 2-pin 40mm fan connection? For more fans perhaps?

Yeah it looks like a 4-pin Fan header doesn't it? Probably was meant to be a PWM controlled fan ... One of these days I will check the voltages on those pins ...

Yes, I'm also wondering if it's a fan header or some kind of diagnostics header for the board. Would be great if it was a fan header. I'm seriously wondering if I can fit the 12mm thick Scythe Slip Stream 120mm fan ( http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/slip-stream-120-mm-slim.html) between the PSU and the grills. It'd do wonders for the cooling, since my box still runs pretty hot under load (the front Aorus panel is pretty hot to the touch), the PSU also gets quite a lot of heat from the backplate of the GPU.

I've also done the mod similar to harshw. 2x scythe SY124010L on the side and Sunon KDE1204PKVX at the PSU. My method was different though, I simply used a soldering iron to disconnect the wires from the original fans and then soldered them to the new fans, so I ended up keeping the same fan wires (easier since the side fan wires are short and connected in parallel, and the PSU fan wire is short and thick). 

comfycat liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Guys arent the Scythes on the side too weak for the box? Id be worried..

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

The Scythes work fine with the box during heavy gaming. The one thing you could do is replace the top fan with a 40x20mm Sunon or Noctua and the bottom one with a 40x10mm Scythe. Remember that the side fans work at full voltage and are not controlled in any way whatsoever, hence you have a tradeoff between noise and (somewhat) elevated temps due to the hot air from the back of the GPU. 

In my experience, it has been okay - I have run the box at full tilt without the side AC Infinity fan and the temps have been the same as before fan replacement. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  8