Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Aorus Gaming Box 2070 -Side Fan Behavior post Quiet Fan Firmware update

Aorus Gaming Box 2070 -Side Fan Behavior post Quiet Fan Firmware update  

RSS

ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

I replaced the side fans in the Aorus Gaming Box 2070 with aftermarket 40x10mm fans. I used the crimp and soldier technique to wire the two new fans in parallel, testing for functionality using a 9V battery before installing into the Aorus Gaming Box 2070. I also used a JST PH2 header connected via solder and crimp to attach the fans to the TB controller board.

The entire system worked fine with the side fans spinning once the Gaming Box was powered on. I recently installed the latest firmware update posted on the Gigabyte website which is labeled as AORUS_N2070IXEB-8GC_VER1.3 (described as providing quiet idle performance)

After installing this fan, it seems that the side fans will no longer spin up on powering up the unit. The Aorus Gaming Box still works but the side fans stopped working. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I usually don't have extended gaming sessions so the Gaming Box doesn't have a chance to run really hot. With the new firmware, due to noise considerations, is it the case that the side fans will only spin up once a certain temperature threshold is reached? Thanks for any insights from the community.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The 1.3 FW update turns the two side fans off during idle. They would kick on when certain temp is reached during load.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

@itsage, thank you for the information. This definitely makes sense of the behavior. I wanted to provide some additional data points for the community/anyone else experiencing this and also in case you have any additional expertise to lend.

1. Prior to receiving your response, I disassembled the Gaming Box, removed the side fans, and tested for functionality of the side fans on a 9V battery. The fans spun up immediately when connected to a the battery power source. --> The side fans are not electrically/mechanically malfunctioning

2. I tried adjusting the fan curve using MSI Afterburner and was only able to affect the main GPU fan's performance. Using the Aorus Engine Software (the latest 1.6 does not work, I had to use the prior 1.5.2 release) I was unable to affect the fan curve at all. Tweaking settings under the fan tab, the points on the graph remain stuck at 0% and I couldn't drag the points up. --> The Firmware update may have locked down the fan tweak or perhaps the older software is not interfacing correctly with the Gaming Box.

3. I used MSI Kombustor and ran an extended loop for about 30 minutes at 4K. The GPU load was around 91-92% and the highest temperature achieved was 73 degrees Celsius. The temperatures plateaued after this. At this temperature and load, the side fans still did not kick in. --> The threshold is really high or the software trigger is broken based on the newest firmware.

If any other community members have insights to lend, they would be very helpful and appreciated. Thank you much!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The two side fans in my Gaming Box come on during Fire Strike. They are stock fans so there may be a difference in terms of voltage supplied to the fans.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

Follow-up: I tested the stock side fans to ensure that they worked using the 9V battery. After confirming that they functioned, I replaced the aftermarket side fans with the stock side fans and restarted the EGPU enclosure.

Thus far, I have run Firestrike (Free Version) and also the Superposition Benchmark at 4K using Gaming Box. Unfortunately, the side fans still did not turn on during either the run of the programs. GPU Temperatures reached about 70-71 degrees Celsius as reported by the monitoring software of the benchmarks an the GPU fan had audibly spun up. However, the stock side fans remain off. My guess at this point is that the FW update may have introduced a glitch or that the TB3 board circuitry is messed up somehow. I tried applying the FW 1.3 update and did not see any behavior change.

Should anyone else have other information, thank you for sharing them.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ishikawa_goemon Sorry to hear. There's definitely something not working right with your Gaming Box. I'll run my Gaming Box (w/ 1.3 FW) soon and report the temp at which the side fans kick on.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

Another update:

I contacted Gigabyte Technical Support and they pointed me to the latest Aorus Engine 1.62 link. After installation, I still cannot get this piece of software to open and run (MSI and any other 3rd party software was uninstalled). Therefore, I was unable to use this utility to tweak the fan settings as per the Technician's recommendation.

I failed to mentioned that when previously disassembled to test the fans, I also used a multi-meter to check for resistance on the 2x fan headers which supply power to the side fans. I am registering normal looking values. I'm not an electrical engineer but my guess is that this shows the electrical circuit is unbroken (or otherwise I would have received an error reading for the resistance).

I will report back with any major updates. My next step may be to try and source just the Thunderbolt 3 board and see if that will get the fans to start spinning. Should anyone have access to older firmware that can be used, that's another avenue I can explore.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

@itsage, another update for the community and solicitation to see if anyone has ideas:

I was able to get my hands on a new RTX 2070 Aorus Gaming Box in order to test the fans. Big thank you to the fellow engineering student who let me use his new toy while he traveled. Since this unit was new, everything was 100% stock. After booting it up, I noted that once again, the side fans did not spin up! Without doing the firmware update (to avoid messing it up for new owner), I checked to see if the previous version numbers (PD and FW) were the same. I noted that they were. I checked on the Dell Website and updated my XPS 9570 to the latest drivers and Thunderbolt Firmware as well as drivers and the new Gaming Box's side fans still did not start up.

My conclusion to this is that it is likely a software rather than a hardware issue with the Gaming Box. The likelihood that a brand new unit would exhibit the same behavior due to the same hardware failure seems less plausible. With all that said, I dug around the forums and noted a few possible leads. It seems that some other Aorus Gaming Box users (1080 version) had reported issues with the side fans not starting up even though the GPU worked (same situation as me). There was never a full solution but it seemed the possibilities being thrown around included a USB issue.

One of the forums said that the USB controller was what started the side fans. Another user suggested unplugging the Gaming Box from a power supply for anywhere from 10minutes to 10hours to let the power discharge to get the fans to start back up. This is as far as I have gotten so far but I will check this weekend (my Gaming Box has been unplugged for 2+days). Meanwhile, should you have any other leads or pointers, please send them my way.

P.S. One of the users who experienced fan start-up failure (1080 Gaming Box) stated that when plugging in the TB3 cable, he would get the USB-device not recognized error (w/ yellow warning triangle) from Windows 10. I also had the same issue and it would take a few restarts, unplugs, etc before the Gaming Box would recognize and power on. This could point to a hardware issue on the laptop but I haven't been getting any failures detected from my hardware scans. My guess is that the FW 1.3 software had a glitch somewhere. Is there any program to read the .bat file and check the code?

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

PARTIAL FIX

@itsage I was able to find a partial solution for the side fan behavior caused by FW update 1.3. The good news is that the side fans work again. However, the negative is that I no longer have the RGB lights. I guess I would prefer a more muted, albeit cooler (temperature) device...

After updating to the latest Thunderbolt Controller Driver (Non-DCH) through Dell, I decided to try some RX580 firmware updates with the assumption that the TB3 controller board would be the same between the various Gaming Box models. After applying the FW 1.1 Update from the Aorus Gaming Box RX580 site (RX580IXEB_VER11), I noted that my side fans were working again. After running a stress test, I noted that the side fans do spin faster when the load is higher (though they do not appear to spin at the same speed - I used a flashlight and my eyes aren't great so it could be an illusion). The side fans are not off at idle though, they always spin.

The bottom line is that Gigabyte's Firmware updates seem to cause errors on some Windows Laptops (I have a Dell XPS 9570). If you apply FW 1.3 and error out, you will be unable to downgrade by applying older Firmware Versions (e.g. H2D). @gbt_brian - if this information is helpful, please relay to the drivers team over at Gigabyte. Happy to contribute to solving this hurdle for an otherwise great product!

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member

Update - FULL (though inelegant) SOLUTION

I was able to get LED lighting as well as side fan power. As stated in the previous post, I had to use FW 1.1 from the RX580 Gaming Box to get my side fans to run again. I installed the latest version of the Aorus Engine as well as the RGB Fusion software. When I boot up the RGB Fusion, the Gaming Box's RGB lighting turns on and is able to be controlled as well. I ended up uninstalling the Aorus Gaming Engine since I still cannot adjust the fan settings (though the side fans run now). Using MSI's Afterburner and the RGBFusion 2.0 Software (Gigabyte), I am back to normal behavior.

ReplyQuote
in_drive_we_trust
(@in_drive_we_trust)

I have the same situation, but I have completely stock hardware: no any modifications.
Just F1.3 update.
After some time side fans + RGB Led stopped working.

Finally, this is what worked for me to make RGB+Fans to work as expected:
1. F1.3 is still there
2. Disconnect all the usb devices connected to Gaming Box.
3. Shutdown the host PC/Laptop.
4. Cut Gaming Box from power and TB (somebody at the forum recommended 10 min-10 hours. ~30 min worked for me. Less than 1 min - did not)
5. Plug the power cable back to GB, connect TB to the host and turn your rig on
6. Never connect anything to GB usb

It seems that some sort of usb devices like optical mouse or keyboard (with LED?) makes something to crash at windows boot.

P.S. Windows 10, the latest NVIDIA driver.

- NUC8i7BEH, Gskill 16 Gb, Samsung EVO 970 500Gb M.2 + Samsung EVO 850 500Gb SSD
- Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote