Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter requires TB3 PCs with NVM 18 or newer

Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter requires TB3 PCs with NVM 18 or newer  

RSS

nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@itsage emailed me this fails on a XPS 9350 with NVM 16. At https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/apple-tb3tb2-adapter-fails-on-xps-9350-detected-only-as-usb-c/#post-917 we see PC notebooks require NVM 18 or newer to be able to use this adapter to connect to older TB2 peripherals.

I tried it on my XPS 13 9350. Unfortunately, the computer could only detected the adapter as a USB-C device and it’s not working correctly. I took this screenshot.

Please share it when you have a minute.

This is with a XPS 13 9350 to Apple TB3 < – > TB2 to Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable to AKiTiO Thunder2 w/ GTX 980. This setup works with the 2016 non-touchbar MacBook Pro.

Apple TB3 adapter XPS 9350

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Aw snap. Thanks for testing guys.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

This is downgrading from TB3 port -> TB2 enclosure. itsage only has older Apple machines to try a TB2 port ->TB3 enclosure. So a bit of bad news for those with PC TB2 ports looking to attach say a TB3 AKiTiO Node.

The other US$73 Startech TB3->TB  and US$99 Kanex TB3->TB  adapters are designed to allow TB3 machines (inc non-Apple) to use TB2/TB1 peripherals.  

Posted by: Yukikaze

Aw snap. Thanks for testing guys.

ReplyQuote
XCVG
 XCVG
(@xcvg)
Trusted Member

From what I've read, the Apple adapter requires Thunderbolt firmware NVM18 or later. The XPS 13 9350 still only has NVM16. Until they update the Thunderbolt firmware, the Apple adapter won't work.

There are a few PCs with NVM18 or later and at least a few people have the adapter working. I can try to dig up  some references if you want.

Late-2015 15" Dell XPS 9550 GTX960M + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + Win10

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Excalibur
(@excalibur)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nando4

itsage only has older Apple machines to try a TB2 port ->TB3 enclosure. So a bit of bad news for those with PC TB2 ports looking to attach say a TB3 AKiTiO Node.

I'm confused here since original post doesn't have any information about TB2 port -> TB3 enclosure. Does that mean we cannot connect this way?

This is one of few bidirectional adapter.

Current: Thinkpad W540 - i7 4900MQ - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro K2100M - Akitio Thunder2 - GTX 660 OEM
Retired: Thinkpad W520 - i7 2860QM - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro 1000M - EXP GDC Beast - GTX 560 Ti - GTX 660 OEM

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Here’s the reference to the Apple adapter requiring Thunderbolt3 NVM 18 or newer: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5gc4op/apple_thunderbolt_3_to_2_adapter_issue_in_xps_15/ where it says:

So, I tried the same device in MSI GS63 and it picked up both Apple TB adapter and ethernet adapter. I checked Thunderbolt 3 NVM firmware version and it was 18, higher than 16 of XPS 15 9550.

Looks like NVM firmware 16 does not support these adapters correctly: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-Thunderbolt-Firmware-NVM-Update/m-p/3471905 Dell need to update NVM firmware anyway.

Posted by: XCVG

From what I’ve read, the Apple adapter requires Thunderbolt firmware NVM18 or later. The XPS 13 9350 still only has NVM16. Until they update the Thunderbolt firmware, the Apple adapter won’t work.

There are a few PCs with NVM18 or later and at least a few people have the adapter working. I can try to dig up  some references if you want.

ReplyQuote
FricoRico
(@fricorico)
Eminent Member

I ordered the Apple TB3 -> TB2 adapter in order to test a custom build eGPU board (really neat one at that). I hope it will allow me to run it with my 2015 MBPr. Will keep you posted.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ualwayslose confirms Apple TB3->TB2 adapter allows TB3 peripherals to be used on TB2 Macbooks. REF: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5h9un2/my_experience_with_razer_core_and_macbook_air/?st=ixf3c87d&sh=0fe69151

Posted by: FricoRico

I ordered the Apple TB3 -> TB2 adapter in order to test a custom build eGPU board (really neat one at that). I hope it will allow me to run it with my 2015 MBPr. Will keep you posted.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I can also confirm the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 works with non-Apple computers as long as the NVM firmware is 18 or newer. Attached is a screen cap of an Intel NUC Skull Canyon connected to an AKiTiO Thunder2 via Apple TB3<–>TB2 adapter.

Also worth of note is the Thunderbolt Controller in the Intell NUC Skull Canyon, Thunderbolt 3 (1575). This is the same Thunderbolt controller as in my Dell XPS 13 9350 which has NVM firmware 16 and does not show support for external GPUs nor does it work with the Apple adapter. Hopefully Dell releases a Thunderbolt firmware update soon. 

Skull Canyon NUC Thunderbolt Software

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

I am picking up this adapter today. I am going to test if the TB2 -> TB3 direction works on non-Macs. Then I'll test the same direction on a borrowed 2013 MBAir, too.

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Excalibur
(@excalibur)
Eminent Member

ualwayslose's reddit post is really great as it opens the possibility to use cheap TB2 laptop to build a budget system while being future proof. I'm thinking about upgrading my current Thinkpad W520 to W541 so I can reuse my 32GB DDR3 memories instead of buying new set of DDR4 memories.

Some tests about the performance difference between a native solution and the adapter will be great. Although I believe that the adapter solution will be faster than ExpressCard regardless and can still be used in full speed in the future, unlike the TB2 native solution.

Current: Thinkpad W540 - i7 4900MQ - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro K2100M - Akitio Thunder2 - GTX 660 OEM
Retired: Thinkpad W520 - i7 2860QM - 32 GB DDR3L - Quadro 1000M - EXP GDC Beast - GTX 560 Ti - GTX 660 OEM

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

As luck would have it, the adapter is not in stock in any of my nearby Best Buys. I ordered it from Apple, but it won't be here until Thursday. Argh.

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member

Hi guys,

I am thinking of also getting an eGPU since I am super disappointed with the new Apple Laptops, so I will keep my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro until the next ones come out.

However I was wondering if someone could please confirm that the Akitio Node does work on a TB1 Macbook Pro (2012) under Bootcamp in Windows 10 with the Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter.

I know it works under OSX Sierra, but didn't find any clear information if the Akitio Node AND the graphics card (980Ti in my case) will work properly in Bootcamp using an older Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt Adapter.

Thanks all!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: [email protected]

I know it works under OSX Sierra, but didn’t find any clear information if the Akitio Node AND the graphics card (980Ti in my case) will work properly in Bootcamp using an older Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt Adapter.

Thanks all!

Yes, using a Node with Apple TB3->TB2 adapter works in Windows: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2015-11-macbook-air-gtx980ti16gbps-tb2-akitio-node-via-apple-tb3-tb2-adapter-win10-itsage/

ReplyQuote
sh@dow
(@shdow)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the fast reply nando!

This is absolutely amazing news, seems like the Node is THE eGPU solution for Macs. I still believe I am dreaming, will definitely order one at B&H as soon as they are available next month.

Just one more question, as it seems the Firmware of the Node needs to be updated, would that be possible using a TB1 connection (with adapter) on Bootcamp and Win10 too? I read you can only update the firmware of the Node on a native TB3 laptop. Hopefully Akitio will ship the Node next month with the latest firmware.

Again thanks so much to all of you guys here!

ReplyQuote
Jaye
 Jaye
(@jaye)
Eminent Member

Is there any way to make it work in other way under Windows PC?

EX: Thunderbolt 2 laptop  => Akitio Node (Thunderbolt 3)

2017 13" HP Spectre 13" x360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10
2016 15" Asus UX501VW GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Jaye, only Apple TB1/TB2 systems have worked with TB3 enclosures via the Apple TB3->TB2 adapter. PC TB1/TB2 notebooks have had zero success trying to do the same.

ReplyQuote
Jaye
 Jaye
(@jaye)
Eminent Member

I want to confirm that TB2 Host to TB3 Device works through Apple adapter under Windows OS. 

I had a chance to test that on friend's ASUS UX501JW (older i7-4700HQ, TB2 version of UX501) - it worked with Akitio Node. However, it didn't worked until I connected it in some strange way (flipping cable).

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots, but CUDA-Z reported speed of 720MiB, which is, as far as I know, is lower than it should be for TB2. GTX1080 in Node shows good fps, but when dynamic changes happen - shutters appear (even worse than H2D issue on my own UX501VW before).

ASUS UX501JW has bdw-tbt-lp controller - at least BIOS says that. 

2017 13" HP Spectre 13" x360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10
2016 15" Asus UX501VW GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote