Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Connecting 6+2 to 8pin socket? Sonnet Breakaway 350 w Sapphire Pulse RX 580 kit

[Solved] Connecting 6+2 to 8pin socket? Sonnet Breakaway 350 w Sapphire Pulse RX 580 kit  

RSS

LongEz
(@longez)

I have ordered the Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 "combo", (through Amazon), that includes the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 graphics card.
I cannot find anywhere a diagram or specific instructions for connecting the Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 power to the included Sapphire Pulse RX 580 card.  Neither the Sonnet Breakaway Box manual, nor the Sapphire RX580 manual have the particulars.  

(I looked here on egpu.io, on the Sonnettech website, the sapphiretech website, and the Amazon "answers to questions". )

I think the Sonnet BB350 has a "6+2" connector for cards which require 8 pin connectors.  Is that correct?  No where can I find if the 2pin connector should be on the side nearest the rear panel or nearest the front panel.

Anyone have a drawing showing the proper orientation?  (What pins should have yellow, which black?)

2018 Mac Mini, Radeon RX 580 8GB in Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, LG 25” 21:9 and Dell P2415Q 4K monitors (both on eGPU)

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Most 6+2 connectors really have only one way of fitting together. The pins are coded by shape, so it shouldn't fit the wrong way. In any case, you can see the pin out here.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

LongEz liked
ReplyQuote
LongEz
(@longez)

Posted by: Yukikaze

Most 6+2 connectors really have only one way of fitting together. The pins are coded by shape, so it shouldn't fit the wrong way. In any case, you can see the pin out here.

Thanks.  Perfect.

2018 Mac Mini, Radeon RX 580 8GB in Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, LG 25” 21:9 and Dell P2415Q 4K monitors (both on eGPU)

ReplyQuote