Custom eGPU: Dell DA-2 + GTX-1070: Blue Screen (Kernel-Power, ID 41) after ~4h G...

Notifications
Clear all

Custom eGPU: Dell DA-2 + GTX-1070: Blue Screen (Kernel-Power, ID 41) after ~4h GTA-V  

RSS

Axleelxa
(@axleelxa)

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I received my final parts for my custom eGPU-build. It is my first GPU in general, so I'm not too experienced. But everything worked very plug&play and I'm really happy! My 14-inch i5-laptop now manages GTA-V on highest settings on a 3440x1440-screen!

However after some hours I got a blue-screen. The shown event is ID. 41 - Kernel-Power.

Now I suspect it could be caused by a power peak from the GPU and too small power supply? The DA-2 achieves 216W based on the Specs. Theoretically a GTX 1070 should have around 160W max power. But I've also seen tests where random peaks would go slightly above 200W.

Now my question: Could this even be a reason for a blue-screen (if eGPU has not enough power)? Or would the symptoms look different? If yes, are there nice ways to limit GPU-power to not reach these peaks? Would you know other reasons for this problem?

I'm asking this early because I soon would like to start building the enclosure for the eGPU. There I'd like to know first if I can use my PSU.

eGPU-Components:
- Gigabyte GTX-1070
- ADT-Link R43SG GPU to M.2 adapter
- JEYI Leidian M.2 to TB3
- Dell DA-2 power supply
- External screen connected to eGPU

Laptop:
- Lenovo C940
- i5-1035G4 CPU
- 16GB Ram
- 2TB SSD (upgraded from original 512GP)

I would be very happy about every hint towards finding the root of this problem Smile

Best wishes already for 2021!

EDIT: Just 2 minutes after sending this I had the next issue: The computer just froze. I couldn't do anything anymore. I never had this before (have the laptop already a few months). Only browser open, so no GPU load. First time after like maybe 10hours of running with eGPU.

EDIT2: This was again Kernel-power nr 41 in the windows-event-viewer. So really weird, this time without blue-screen and without any load. So yes, probably not the PSU....

EDIT3: Due to the new symptom (freeze) I could find more in the internet. I changed the Nvidia-GPU-settings to "maximum performance" as suggested by other threads. I'll see if this helps and if so update here.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Axleelxa
(@axleelxa)

Update for others experiencing the same:

As hinted by EDIT3, changing the Nvidia-settings solved the problems and I never experienced issues again in the last two weeks.

Open your NVIDIA control panel --> 3d-settings --> energy management mode --> Prefer maximum performance

(actual wording could be slightly different as I translated my settings from german)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

fndg liked
ReplyQuote