Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
DIY 8-Pin Molex 220W PSU From a XBOX One PSU?

DIY 8-Pin Molex 220W PSU From a XBOX One PSU?  

RSS

(@sajid_ahmed)

I came across the Xbox One's psu which is rated at 220W and 12V. Has someone tried splicing them together with a 8 pin molex connector for the EXP GDC (for example?) to make a diy Dell DA-2 alternative? If it is theoretically possible, I can give it a shot.

Looks to me like it has a Fast-On 2 Pin with +12v, 5v, Sense and GND. We can discard the 5v rail and spliced the others, yes?

What do you guys think?

Here in Sri Lanka, we don't have Dell Da-2 units readily available, and it goes up to 40$ via ebay with shipping and the sort. I can get the spliced Xbox One PSU setup (if possible) for around 15$ which feels fair.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I’m pretty sure this has been done on here! Try hunting using the search... I think it was don’t with an Akitio Thunder 3 but I may be wrong. IMO the dells are pretty low quality so anything else could be a better solution!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@sajid_ahmed)

Yup @Eightarmedpet. Saw a Akito build somewhere laying around with some useful pinouts. Waiting on my EXP GDC, 3D Printed Enclosure and a set of screw and nuts to arrive, while I had a guy to let me know if we can source any Xbox One PSU's locally. Seems to be out of luck on that too but getting one down online from AE costs 1/2 of what a Dell would cost. I also ordered an extra spare 24pin to 8 pin + 4 pin connector... The same that comes with the EXP GDC so I will have an extra set of connectors to splice on to. Once I have my parts in hand, I will go get the 1060 6GB. All in all might take a few weeks to settle in. Excited to see how it goes.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote