Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
GTX1060 w 120W power supply

GTX1060 w 120W power supply  

RSS

naplox
(@naplox)

hey

I’ve ben searching the forums and understand that most go with 220W along with the GTX1060 in the AKiTiO thunder2. Though 

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/

Says it peaks at 122W. Now I already have a 120W charger so would it affect performance in anyway sticking to that?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

The Thunder2 requires ~15W for it’s operation, leaving you ~105W. If you experience instability or the power cutting out, especially under 3D load, then simply use MSI Afterburner to lower the GTX1060 power target, core & memory clocks by 15-20%.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

A GTX1060 requires an additional power input. You need to provide that somehow, or the card won't work.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote