Mac Mini 2018 (Mojave). - wrong resolution - eGPU not showing entire screen

Notifications

Mac Mini 2018 (Mojave). - wrong resolution - eGPU not showing entire screen  

RSS

MacBowtie
(@macbowtie)
Eminent Member

Hi,

I received my Aikitio Node Pro and XFX AMD 580 today. Setup was straightforward: insert card --> disconnect USB-C/HDMI screen from MacMini --> connect enclosure to 2018 MacMini (which was already booted up) --> connect screen to eGPU case (via DVI) --> change screen input to DVI --> carry on working.
All I had to do is restart Photoshop for it to recognise the card. Worked for a few hours, then did a restart.

This is where problems started happening:

Restart with screen connected to eGPU:
Apple logo shows up, Mac Mini boots fine... but then doesn't show the usual login screen.
When I change the screen input back to USB-C, the login screen appears. So I log in, and once I see the finder/desktop, I change back to eGPU input. I can see the mouse pointer, but only a small part of my finder and menu bar. When I click onto the menu bar, a white box appears instead of the usual pull-down menu.

I need to mention: My main system is sitting on an external SSD (which has Mojave installed)

So I restart from the INTERNAL hard drive (which has Catalina installed), without eGPU. After I see the finder, I change to eGPU, and it all works fine.

I don't think the problem is with Mojave or Catalina. As I said before: I could work for several hours in Mojave, with the eGPU attached.
It rather seems that the problem is some sort of "screen resolution sync problem". The screen seems to "remember" the eGPU resolution I set before (2560x1440), but only displays to 1920x1080 resolution. At least that's how it looks like. (Hope this makes sense... hard to describe otherwise).

The only workaround I could find so far is:
1) Attach the screen via BOTH screen cables (HDMI/USB-C to MacMini, and DVI/DVI to eGPU at the same time), so the System Preferences indicate that I have two screens attached.
2) Select "Mirror Display" in System Preferences
3) Set screen input to eGPU and detach HDMI/USB-C.

Can anyone help? I mean, I really like the fact that the eGPU enclosure automatically turns on and off with the MacMini. So, in an ideal world, I'd like to place the eGPU underneath my table and then completely forget about it. Turn on in the morning / turn off in the evening, without having to mess around with cables and system preferences...

Many thanks for your help!

2018 MacMini i7 / Mac OS Mojave / 4k iiyama screen

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@macbowtie If you had installed Catalina on this 2018 Mac mini, it has a firmware that’s known to cause issues with eGPU connected monitor at boot. It’s been nearly half a year and we’re still waiting for a fix.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
MacBowtie
(@macbowtie)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the info. I got it working again now. Will try not to restart the machine too often (I usually put it into sleep mode rather than turning it off),

2018 MacMini i7 / Mac OS Mojave / 4k iiyama screen

ReplyQuote