Notifications
Clear all

Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

of  9
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I need some help with grounding the spare 2-pin from the AORUS Gaming Box's PCIe 6+2 pin power cable. This enclosure seems to check for an 8-pin GPU. The Radeon RX 580 Mini ITX card I found only has a 6-pin connector. I've tried shorting the spare 2-pin together similar to the Dell DA-2 PSU trick. The AORUS Gaming Box does not light up when plugged into a computer. Power Delivery is the thing functional.

This RX 580 Mini ITX is a very tight fit. The graphics card's PCB is probably 2mm from touching the 24-pin power connector. It looks very nice installed inside this AORUS Gaming Box.

gigabyte aorus gaming box rx 580 mini itx close up
gigabyte aorus gaming box rx 580 mini itx 6 pin 2 pin

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

kqube and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Try using 2x open paperclips to wire through the 6-pin black GND pin to the two unconnected 8-pin GND pins:

That RX580 mini is looking the goods. This combo of small enclosure & supported macOS 10.13 eGPU a dream for our Macbook owners.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for the suggestion, @nando4. I tried it just now but the enclosure behaves the same way. The fan seems like it wants to start spinning but can't quite get going. The charging tone on the MacBook Pro confirms PD is active.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Why did you not start by measuring the voltage output of the 6pin on the gpu with a multimeter when you power up the box?!

Why did you not start by powering the gpu using an external psu to check if the gpu boot and work along the board?! Hope this will not fry the box pcb.

I could only suppose that the box pcb do not see enough load, even with the other 2 ground pin connected to the ground plane.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Estimable Member

No offence, but is shorting out the connector a good idea!? If the PSU has a 6+2 pin connector, then it should work, right?

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (Q P1000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wimpzilla and @switch, Thank you for chiming in. I should share more observations on this project. The AORUS Gaming Box seems to check to make sure the connected GPU has an 8-pin connector (same as GTX 1070 Mini ITX). So in a sense, that 2-pin is the ground source to power on the TBT board. I've tried an R9 285 Compact card (8-pin connector) in this AORUS Gaming Box and it powered the enclosure on perfectly fine. Only 6-pin connector cards are the ones I'm struggling with. I've reached out to Gigabyte support for more information but have not heard back.

There's this capacitor connected to the 24-pin cable. It looks to be on pin 2 and 3. Anyone knows of its purpose?

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

The 6 pin or 8 pin have different power output, where the 6 pin allow 80Watt, 8 pin is 150Watt.

But why have you no success using the trick connecting the 2pin to the 6pin ground plane in you case?

IMO because the 8 pin connector on the gpu pcb have some sensing circuit that tell the card if a 8pin or 6pin is plugged , in return the card allow itself to draw 80Watt or 150watt or not work at all.

Since your gpu have no native 8pin, only a 6pin, it miss the sensing circuit that make the difference between 8/6pin, so the power draw is lower than what the box pcb/psu are used to be, so no boot.

I saw user mod the 8pin connector on the gpu itself to get rid of the power identification. So yeah IMO if not enough load on the whole 8pin from the gpu, no boot.

Usually caps are used as filtering caps, to smooth the voltage and avoid voltage drop when under high load. If between the in 2/3 and the psu use a standard 24pin, i would say it's to filter the 3.3v used to power up the logic.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

Silverstone has 8 pin to 6+2 pin connector;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silverstone-pci-8-pin-to-6-2-pin-pcie-cable-25-cm-black-red-cm-027-sv.html

Also, where can I get rx580 mini itx, it would be great to have this and aorus’ small enclosure.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Estimable Member

I don't think that connector will help - it looks like it's a simple physical connector. You should be able to get the same results by simply plugging the current cable in...

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (Q P1000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Smackintosh
(@smackintosh)

I'm confused.  Are you sure this is an RX 580 and not an RX 570?  As far as I know, all RX 580 cards are 8 pin at a minimum, with ref as > 150w.  and I didn't think anyone actually made a mini itx card with the 580 just yet. 

Hopefully we get mini RX 580's with an 8-pin connector for compatibility with the Aorus.  If the Vega 56 nano shows up, and it fits in the power envelope, and the price isn't crazy, and we get ahead of the miners, hooray.   But I think an RX 580 mini ITX is the best bet for the foreseeable future.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  9