Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box

Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I need some help with grounding the spare 2-pin from the AORUS Gaming Box‘s PCIe 6+2 pin power cable. This enclosure seems to check for an 8-pin GPU. The Radeon RX 580 Mini ITX card I found only has a 6-pin connector. I’ve tried shorting the spare 2-pin together similar to the Dell DA-2 PSU trick. The AORUS Gaming Box does not light up when plugged into a computer. Power Delivery is the thing functional.

This RX 580 Mini ITX is a very tight fit. The graphics card’s PCB is probably 2mm from touching the 24-pin power connector. It looks very nice installed inside this AORUS Gaming Box.

gigabyte aorus gaming box rx 580 mini itx close up
gigabyte aorus gaming box rx 580 mini itx 6 pin 2 pin

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

kqube and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Try using 2x open paperclips to wire through the 6-pin black GND pin to the two unconnected 8-pin GND pins:

That RX580 mini is looking the goods. This combo of small enclosure & supported macOS 10.13 eGPU a dream for our Macbook owners.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thank you for the suggestion, @nando4. I tried it just now but the enclosure behaves the same way. The fan seems like it wants to start spinning but can’t quite get going. The charging tone on the MacBook Pro confirms PD is active.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Why did you not start by measuring the voltage output of the 6pin on the gpu with a multimeter when you power up the box?!

Why did you not start by powering the gpu using an external psu to check if the gpu boot and work along the board?! Hope this will not fry the box pcb.

I could only suppose that the box pcb do not see enough load, even with the other 2 ground pin connected to the ground plane.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member

No offence, but is shorting out the connector a good idea!? If the PSU has a 6+2 pin connector, then it should work, right?

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@wimpzilla and @switch, Thank you for chiming in. I should share more observations on this project. The AORUS Gaming Box seems to check to make sure the connected GPU has an 8-pin connector (same as GTX 1070 Mini ITX). So in a sense, that 2-pin is the ground source to power on the TBT board. I’ve tried an R9 285 Compact card (8-pin connector) in this AORUS Gaming Box and it powered the enclosure on perfectly fine. Only 6-pin connector cards are the ones I’m struggling with. I’ve reached out to Gigabyte support for more information but have not heard back.

There’s this capacitor connected to the 24-pin cable. It looks to be on pin 2 and 3. Anyone knows of its purpose?

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

The 6 pin or 8 pin have different power output, where the 6 pin allow 80Watt, 8 pin is 150Watt.

But why have you no success using the trick connecting the 2pin to the 6pin ground plane in you case?

IMO because the 8 pin connector on the gpu pcb have some sensing circuit that tell the card if a 8pin or 6pin is plugged , in return the card allow itself to draw 80Watt or 150watt or not work at all.

Since your gpu have no native 8pin, only a 6pin, it miss the sensing circuit that make the difference between 8/6pin, so the power draw is lower than what the box pcb/psu are used to be, so no boot.

I saw user mod the 8pin connector on the gpu itself to get rid of the power identification. So yeah IMO if not enough load on the whole 8pin from the gpu, no boot.

Usually caps are used as filtering caps, to smooth the voltage and avoid voltage drop when under high load. If between the in 2/3 and the psu use a standard 24pin, i would say it's to filter the 3.3v used to power up the logic.

E=Mc²

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

Silverstone has 8 pin to 6+2 pin connector;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silverstone-pci-8-pin-to-6-2-pin-pcie-cable-25-cm-black-red-cm-027-sv.html

Also, where can I get rx580 mini itx, it would be great to have this and aorus’ small enclosure.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member

I don't think that connector will help - it looks like it's a simple physical connector. You should be able to get the same results by simply plugging the current cable in...

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
Smackintosh
(@smackintosh)

I'm confused.  Are you sure this is an RX 580 and not an RX 570?  As far as I know, all RX 580 cards are 8 pin at a minimum, with ref as > 150w.  and I didn't think anyone actually made a mini itx card with the 580 just yet. 

Hopefully we get mini RX 580's with an 8-pin connector for compatibility with the Aorus.  If the Vega 56 nano shows up, and it fits in the power envelope, and the price isn't crazy, and we get ahead of the miners, hooray.   But I think an RX 580 mini ITX is the best bet for the foreseeable future.

2016 13" Macbook Pro TB + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS10.14 (waiting impatiently for web driver)+ Win10 (using goalque EFI boot, Thanks!)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thanks to all for your help. This mini ITX is an RX 580. It’s not sold separately by a vendor. You can only find them in select HP desktops. I tested it in a desktop and confirmed it’s an RX 580 4GB. It’s one of the very few RX 580 with a 6-pin connector.

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Have you tried bridging the two spare contacts with an resistor? This is a somewhat know "tool" to fool circuits into thinking there's a device connected. However I do not know about the appropriate dimensions in this usage scenario.

According to the wiring of the 8 pin connectors a workaround should be shorting pins 7 and 8 (ground) and 4 and 6 (sense).

5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

Here is an adapter doing exactly this in revers. (6 female to 8 male)

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@wimpzilla, you’re right on. The sensing circuit is not complete when the extra 2-pin is open. Therefore the AUROS Gaming Box main board refuses to power on. I’d like to use adapters prior to soldering into either GPU or the enclosure wirings.

@Rastafabi, I was reading that same blog post a few nights ago too. I will see if I have an adapter similar to that one you linked laying around.

Rastafabi liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@TheITSage, @Rastafabi,

Yep something like this, usually extreme modders shorts the pins directly on the gpu to remove the power identification telling the gpu to accept any power delivery option.

I think in your case you would not solder directly on the gpu, not sure either that removing completely the power identification would unlock the psu/box board.

I have not tested it myself directly so could not give you precise advice on how to.

Here an example:

Ident

He connected together the additional ground 2pin and also the sense and ground pin on the 6pin, this for a 8pin configuration. Dunno if it apply in you case too with only a 6pin but the @Rastafabi scheme seems right.

E=Mc²

Rastafabi and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I haven’t made progress but I tried something last night that’s worth an update. I was wondering if connecting only 6-pin to a GPU was the culprit of this AORUS Gaming Box not powering up. So I decided to connect the GTX 1070 mini ITX GPU to the AORUS Gaming Box by using the 6-pin only to its 8-pin connector. The fan spun up and the enclosure powered on with full LEDs just fine.

Posted by: Rastafabi

According to the wiring of the 8 pin connectors a workaround should be shorting pins 7 and 8 (ground) and 4 and 6 (sense).

5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

I shorted Pin 4 to Pin 6 and Pin 7 to Pin 8 to see if the RX 580 mini ITX GPU would work. It’s still no-go. Any guess as to what else I could try?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

My guess, at this point, is that the box read the 12v rail on the pci-e

I do not think, but it could be, that Giga used a special psu, rather i guess the box pcb read the power consumption, TDP using the pci-e 12v rail and shut down the card if it does not meet the requirement.

As you noticed on the picture i posted before, Buildzoid linked the 12v pci-e rail to the 8/6pin connector, not sure this would help and would not advice to do it.

Check the 12v rail power circuit on the pcb, how it get the power from the 24pin.

Try with another PSU!

E=Mc²

Dope and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I guess the minimum load of the PSU is not met. The 24pin connector must have a missing voltage on some of the pins. I would test with a multimeter all 12V, 5V and 3.3V and compare what is missing between 8pin/6pin cards.

From the PSU manufacturer's specs:

2.6 Remote on/off control

When the logic level "PS-ON" is low, the DC outputs are to be enabled.
When the logic level is high or open collector, the DC outputs are to be disabled.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Posted by: itsage

I haven't made progress but I tried something last night that's worth an update. I was wondering if connecting only 6-pin to a GPU was the culprit of this AORUS Gaming Box not powering up. So I decided to connect the GTX 1070 mini ITX GPU to the AORUS Gaming Box by using the 6-pin only to its 8-pin connector. The fan spun up and the enclosure powered on with full LEDs just fine.

Posted by: Rastafabi

5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

I shorted Pin 4 to Pin 6 and Pin 7 to Pin 8 to see if the RX 580 mini ITX GPU would work. It's still no-go. Any guess as to what else I could try?

It might be interesting to try another GTX 1070 (1060/1080) from a different manufacturer to exclude firmware blacklisting as the culprit. 

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

I really want you to achieve this because the other cases are enormous. Please inform us. If you can do it, I'll make the same setup for my Mac.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
iaomw
(@iaomw)

Great, you have RX580 mini, what's the vendor and model? I cannot find it one internet.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: iaomw

Great, you have RX580 mini, what’s the vendor and model? I cannot find it one internet.

These mini-ITX RX 480/580 GPUs are only equipped with certain HP desktops. They are not available individually.

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

This is fascinating, I would love to see an 1050 Ti tested in this...

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
Ryncewynd
(@ryncewynd)

Can’t help with the power issue, but I have the box running with an evga 1060 6gb which only uses a 6pin power connector and that works fine. So it could be checking for an nvidia gpu?

ReplyQuote
attachsnow
(@attachsnow)

I have Aorus Gaming Box with two AMD Graphic Cards. Asus R9-NANO works correctly and Sapphire RX 570 pulse itx gets the same problem with you.

It's very disappointed that RX 570 itx cannot be detected. But I think that is not 6 pin problem.

I saw someone changed Inno3D GTX 1060 with 6 pin and worked fine. Link URL

Here is my R9-NANO with passive cooling :

Sky11 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Your R9 Fury Nano with white cooler and passive cooler is beautiful. I haven’t gotten to the bottom of why the 6-pin AMD cards not working with the AORUS Gaming Box. Please share if you have more information.

ReplyQuote
attachsnow
(@attachsnow)

I tried 4 graphic cards and only one was failed.

MSI RX560 AERO 4G - Worked

GALAX GTX 1050 LP - Worked

Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX with 6 pin - Failed

Asus R9-NANO 4G with 8 pin - Worked

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thank you very much for the update. What is your guess for why the AORUS Gaming Box doesn’t power on the Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX?

ReplyQuote
attachsnow
(@attachsnow)

Posted by: itsage

Thank you very much for the update. What is your guess for why the AORUS Gaming Box doesn't power on the Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX?

Maybe Polaris 20 chip is too newer to be recognized by TB3 chip. RX560 is Polaris 11 and RX570/580 is Polaris 20.

ReplyQuote
(@ronin74)

Hi there,

Is it possible for you to post the serial number or part number of that Radeon RX580 card?
I want to buy one from HP and one of the providers we use were I work (I work in IT...) can get me one if I know the part number...
Hope you can post it and thanks in advance 🙂

Regards,

JL

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ronin74 I will check the GPU and see if there’s a part number on it.

ReplyQuote
(@ronin74)

Hi there,

Sorry to bother, I was wondering if you had any luck finding a part/serial number on that RX580, many thanks 🙂

JL

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ronin74 the HP part number for this RX 580 4GB is 931738-001.

ReplyQuote
(@ronin74)

Hi,

Many thanks for that part number, will check it out and see if I can get one 🙂 

JL

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Hello @itsage how does your progress with the RX 580 & Aorus Gaming box? Is it works? 

Macbook PRO 15' 2017 i7 3.1 / RP 560 + Aourus Gaming Box / Mac OS only

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@stanislavm I haven’t had much success with this RX 580 & Aorus Gaming Box.

ReplyQuote
 of  2