Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

YLHanbai
(@ylhanbai)
March 12, 2018 5:00 am  

I saw another user's implementation (GTX 670 using a modified 8 pin to dual 6 pin connector) and I wonder if there has to be some load detected on the +2 pin? Perhaps simply shorting it isn't sufficient for the PSU to trigger. Perhaps is there a way to hack together an 8 pin to single 6 pin connector, which would be able to put a load on the +2 pin.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 12, 2018 2:10 pm  

I saw another user's implementation (GTX 670 using a modified 8 pin to dual 6 pin connector) and I wonder if there has to be some load detected on the +2 pin? Perhaps simply shorting it isn't sufficient for the PSU to trigger. Perhaps is there a way to hack together an 8 pin to single 6 pin connector, which would be able to put a load on the +2 pin.

That was likely my GTX670 attempt. I suggested the same thing there: Connecting the extra ground pins to the existing ones (since grounding a ground pin is not likely to do much). That said, some 6-pin cards do work, as do some cards without power plugs at all, so it is not entirely clear if that will solve the issue or not, or where the issue even lies.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
jc2222
(@jc2222)
March 23, 2018 4:21 pm  

I would like to add my findings when testing with a MSI GTX 1050 (no power connector) and Asus STRIX GTX 970. It does not seem like the 8-pin power connector affects whether the card functions or not, because I was able to get the GTX 970 working with 8-pin, 6-pin and no pins connected to power. The GTX 1050 would not work at all. I took some current measurements and tried drawing power from the 12v rail with resistors and that did not power on the card either.

It seems like there is some firmware or connector configuration that is preventing certain cards from being recognized.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
kqube
(@kqube)
June 13, 2018 3:17 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I need some help with grounding the spare 2-pin from the AORUS Gaming Box's PCIe 6+2 pin power cable. This enclosure seems to check for an 8-pin GPU. The Radeon RX 580 Mini ITX card I found only has a 6-pin connector. I've tried shorting the spare 2-pin together similar to the Dell DA-2 PSU trick. The AORUS Gaming Box does not light up when plugged into a computer. Power Delivery is the thing functional.

This RX 580 Mini ITX is a very tight fit. The graphics card's PCB is probably 2mm from touching the 24-pin power connector. It looks very nice installed inside this AORUS Gaming Box.

It might more tricky that that, I couldn't make my MSI RX 560 Aero ITX 4 Go OC working on an AORUS GTX 1070 enclosure. Also no luck with the sapphire 570 ITX (found this thread after buying it, hopefully used).

ReplyQuote
Dope
 Dope
(@dope)
June 15, 2018 12:05 am  

Solution is to directly apply 12v from the rail to the slot (or do this on the gpu itself). In my case with the HP rx580, it was due to half the vrms being powered by the 6 pin and the other half by the pcie slot. However, since only half the vrms are powered by the 6 pin initially, the gpu does not send the signal to the AGB to activate power for the rest of the vrms. Result is no boot.

nando4, kqube and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
zeric01
(@zeric01)
June 27, 2018 4:58 am  
Posted by: Dope

Solution is to directly apply 12v from the rail to the slot (or do this on the gpu itself). In my case with the HP rx580, it was due to half the vrms being powered by the 6 pin and the other half by the pcie slot. However, since only half the vrms are powered by the 6 pin initially, the gpu does not send the signal to the AGB to activate power for the rest of the vrms. Result is no boot.

how could I do that? could you give me a picture or video to help me. I really want to fix this issue. thank you.

ReplyQuote
Wolfred
(@wolfred)
June 30, 2018 2:43 pm  

I just came across this forum, I am on the same boat. I have a hp rx580 4gb oem with the aorus gaming box and it does not power on. Can you make a tutorial. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@aaron_leyesa)
July 5, 2018 5:27 pm  

Hey Dope, i too am interested on how you got rx580 working with agb. I did see another post where you said you jumped x16 present to x8 present, but not entirely sure what you meant.

My current setup is a zotac 1070 mini(6+2 pin) and it seems to only work under certain conditions:

*Basically having everything connected, except for gpu not in pcie slot.
*plug in thunderbolt cable to laptop.
*plug in power cable to outlet.
*when agb has been detected (lights and fans come on), we can now plug the gpu to pcie slot.
*Done

Only problem is i have to repeat this process whenever i restart or turn off laptop.😂

I feel that your implementation might be a workaround to my problem.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
August 21, 2018 1:15 pm  

Come on buddy, share how ya did it for others to follow... I have a spare 570 kicking about and have been hunting down one of these enclosures for it.

@itsage did you try this solution for your set up?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 21, 2018 3:02 pm  

@nando4 Can you comment on the steps @dope did to jump start the AORUS main board?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

84 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
kqube
(@kqube)
September 27, 2018 4:01 pm  

@dope bump! it seems everyone have hard time to figure out what you did, could you help us on this?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
September 27, 2018 4:26 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@nando4 Can you comment on the steps @dope did to jump start the AORUS main board?

He is directly powering the video card with 12V. If wanting to do this without soldering on the video card or Gaming Box, avoid using a PCIe riser with the only impact being raising the video card slightly then  do the following. Though note: valuable only if can jumper ON the Gaming Box PSU to supply the needed 12V. Didn't you had some problems getting the PSU on when using non-factory video cards? That would then be the root cause of the problem.

1. Acquire a US$3.50 PCIe slot extender

2. Find 12V (usually yellow) and GND (usually black) on the AORUS PSU cabling and route it to the 12V and GND pin on the PCIe slot extender (eg: side B pin 1,2 & 4). You'd be soldering some wiring onto the PCIe slot extender.  Here's a pinout reference for the PCIe slot extender. It says x1 slot, but the top part above the mechanical key containing the power wiring is the same as for a x16 slot.

3. Attach video card + PCIe slot extender into the AORUS Gaming Box.

4. Attach the Gaming Box to a host system, power it up and test.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

kqube and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
CodeByte
(@codebyte)
October 1, 2018 4:47 pm  

Has anybody tried to power up AMD Vega 56 nano with AORUS Gaming Box? It looks like the most compact and powerful solution for macOS devices... if it works of course. )

Macbook Pro 15' mid 2015 with AMD R9 M370X dGPU + Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box eGPU on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
October 1, 2018 4:52 pm  
Posted by: CodeByte

Has anybody tried power up AMD Vega 56 nano with AORUS Gaming Box? It looks like the most compact and powerful solution for macOS devices... if it works of course. )

Yes!

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

CodeByte and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
mattlukezahra
(@mattlukezahra)
October 16, 2018 11:12 pm  

Hi all, I just got a gigabyte aorus 1070 not knowing that mac does not support nvida (i'm so retarted) but got it for a very good price so i said why not, anyways if I understood the enclosure of the aorus wouldn't work with a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE ITX correct ?

thank you very much for your help

ReplyQuote
kqube
(@kqube)
October 17, 2018 7:39 am  

You can make it work with the nvidia 1070, it's just not out of the box:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

You can swap the card, but make sure to use a model reported to be compatible, even so, I wouldn't expect a 100% chance to see work, the enclosure is tightly coupled to the models cards it's been designed for, using the patching above is the safest way IMHO.

ReplyQuote
mattlukezahra
(@mattlukezahra)
October 17, 2018 5:06 pm  

Thank you for your reply @kqube, I tried that out and it started to work in macOS but i have a small issue, when i turn on my mac all 3 displays work (mac display and 2 displays connected to the 1070, but as soon as i log in and the mac display starts to use the Radeon  pro 560x the and turns gray but the other 2 still work, as soon as i try and shut down and all apps close before the mac shuts down it switches to intel HD and comes back again for a split second, i have attached a screenshot  https://ibb.co/hcueqf

ReplyQuote
Dope
 Dope
(@dope)
October 19, 2018 3:57 am  

Sorry for late reply..

The issue, specific to the gpu (the hp rx580 4gb, and also recently confirm by me, the dell rx580 8gb) that theitsage and I were trying to get working, was due to the power requirements that the cards needed. 

The AGB requires a hand shake (maybe pice presence or good power presence on the pcie slot) with the gpu in order to supply power to the slot. I think this is the issue most of you are facing.

All cards are built different but they should operate the same. GPUs are like stand alone computers, you need power to supply the vrms for the boot up chip and then power to feed the cpu and the ram. Without power to the boot up chip, power to the cpu and ram is pointless. 

Some cards have the vrms for the boot up chip tided directly into the pcie slot power and then take from the 6/8 pin for everything else. Some take it all from the 6/8 pin and nothing from the slot. Some do it all from the slot. Each card is different, but if you cannot supply power to the boot up chip, no hand shake is made and I think this is the reason for all of our troubles with the AGB (at least for swapping cards). 

For the specific rx580 I was working with, half the vrms were powered by the 6/8 pin and the other half was powered by the slot. Since the AGB did not power the slot, the card could not power up the boot chip to send the signal for the handshake. To fix this, I needed to power up the rest of the vrms, even just temporarily, so that it can make the handshake.  In the end, I taped off the pins on the card that takes 12v from the slot and powered the entire card directly from the 8 pin by joining both 12v rails. Reason for this is because I didn’t want to overdraw or burn out the AGB motherboard in the long run. I’d rather replace the psu. 

Bottom line here is that the AGB needs a signal to supply the slot with power. That signal comes from the GPU but it cannot supply that signal without power (endless loop). I’m sure there’s a way to bypass this with a resistor on the slot but I have not had time to figure it out. One day I will rig it to have an on and off switch so that I can use the AGB with the gpu and without the gpu without having to remove the card as it’s my main docking station and sometime I don’t need the gpu or the loud fans. 

I hope this helps. 

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
October 19, 2018 4:25 am  

@Dope, thank you for your reply. Would you mind practically outlining what you did with photos in a step-by-step manner. This will help others replicate your pioneering findings.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
mattlukezahra
(@mattlukezahra)
October 19, 2018 12:04 pm  

@Dope thank you very much for your reply, i really appreciate it,

so just if i understood correctly the Gigabyte gaming box wouldn't work with a graphics card that is 6pin,

but if i where to use this card which is 8 pin would it work ? ASUS-R9-NANO-4GB or any other R9 NANO as long as it has 8 pins ?

Thank you again

Kind Regards,

Matthew

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
October 24, 2018 6:45 pm  

It's not 6 or 8 pins, it's how the card is built. The simplest way is to try.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
steve500
(@steve500)
Eminent Member
November 3, 2018 5:41 am  
Posted by: chx

It's not 6 or 8 pins, it's how the card is built. The simplest way is to try.

This is true. The PSU and controller has no idea how the card is receiving its' 12v bus power. The two original 12v busses the factory power supply has are internally bridged into one big 12v bus anyhow. All negative/sense PCIE wires are connected in parallel to the same ground bus in the PSU. 

Has anyone tried manually tripping the PWR_ON pin on the 24pin connector to see if a non-compatible GPU becomes magically compatible? 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev