Notifications
Clear all

Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

of  8
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thanks to all for your help. This mini ITX is an RX 580. It's not sold separately by a vendor. You can only find them in select HP desktops. I tested it in a desktop and confirmed it's an RX 580 4GB. It's one of the very few RX 580 with a 6-pin connector.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Have you tried bridging the two spare contacts with an resistor? This is a somewhat know "tool" to fool circuits into thinking there's a device connected. However I do not know about the appropriate dimensions in this usage scenario.

According to the wiring of the 8 pin connectors a workaround should be shorting pins 7 and 8 (ground) and 4 and 6 (sense).

5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

Here is an adapter doing exactly this in revers. (6 female to 8 male)

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wimpzilla, you're right on. The sensing circuit is not complete when the extra 2-pin is open. Therefore the AUROS Gaming Box main board refuses to power on. I'd like to use adapters prior to soldering into either GPU or the enclosure wirings.

@Rastafabi, I was reading that same blog post a few nights ago too. I will see if I have an adapter similar to that one you linked laying around.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

Rastafabi liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

@TheITSage, @Rastafabi,

Yep something like this, usually extreme modders shorts the pins directly on the gpu to remove the power identification telling the gpu to accept any power delivery option.

I think in your case you would not solder directly on the gpu, not sure either that removing completely the power identification would unlock the psu/box board.

I have not tested it myself directly so could not give you precise advice on how to.

Here an example:

Ident

He connected together the additional ground 2pin and also the sense and ground pin on the 6pin, this for a 8pin configuration. Dunno if it apply in you case too with only a 6pin but the @Rastafabi scheme seems right.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

Rastafabi and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I haven't made progress but I tried something last night that's worth an update. I was wondering if connecting only 6-pin to a GPU was the culprit of this AORUS Gaming Box not powering up. So I decided to connect the GTX 1070 mini ITX GPU to the AORUS Gaming Box by using the 6-pin only to its 8-pin connector. The fan spun up and the enclosure powered on with full LEDs just fine.

Posted by: Rastafabi

According to the wiring of the 8 pin connectors a workaround should be shorting pins 7 and 8 (ground) and 4 and 6 (sense).

5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

I shorted Pin 4 to Pin 6 and Pin 7 to Pin 8 to see if the RX 580 mini ITX GPU would work. It's still no-go. Any guess as to what else I could try?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

My guess, at this point, is that the box read the 12v rail on the pci-e

I do not think, but it could be, that Giga used a special psu, rather i guess the box pcb read the power consumption, TDP using the pci-e 12v rail and shut down the card if it does not meet the requirement.

As you noticed on the picture i posted before, Buildzoid linked the 12v pci-e rail to the 8/6pin connector, not sure this would help and would not advice to do it.

Check the 12v rail power circuit on the pcb, how it get the power from the 24pin.

Try with another PSU!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

Dope and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I guess the minimum load of the PSU is not met. The 24pin connector must have a missing voltage on some of the pins. I would test with a multimeter all 12V, 5V and 3.3V and compare what is missing between 8pin/6pin cards.

From the PSU manufacturer's specs:

2.6 Remote on/off control

When the logic level "PS-ON" is low, the DC outputs are to be enabled.
When the logic level is high or open collector, the DC outputs are to be disabled.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Posted by: itsage

I haven't made progress but I tried something last night that's worth an update. I was wondering if connecting only 6-pin to a GPU was the culprit of this AORUS Gaming Box not powering up. So I decided to connect the GTX 1070 mini ITX GPU to the AORUS Gaming Box by using the 6-pin only to its 8-pin connector. The fan spun up and the enclosure powered on with full LEDs just fine.

Posted by: Rastafabi

5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4

I shorted Pin 4 to Pin 6 and Pin 7 to Pin 8 to see if the RX 580 mini ITX GPU would work. It's still no-go. Any guess as to what else I could try?

It might be interesting to try another GTX 1070 (1060/1080) from a different manufacturer to exclude firmware blacklisting as the culprit. 

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

I really want you to achieve this because the other cases are enormous. Please inform us. If you can do it, I'll make the same setup for my Mac.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  8