Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

YLHanbai
(@ylhanbai)
March 12, 2018 5:00 am  

I saw another user's implementation (GTX 670 using a modified 8 pin to dual 6 pin connector) and I wonder if there has to be some load detected on the +2 pin? Perhaps simply shorting it isn't sufficient for the PSU to trigger. Perhaps is there a way to hack together an 8 pin to single 6 pin connector, which would be able to put a load on the +2 pin.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member
March 12, 2018 2:10 pm  

I saw another user's implementation (GTX 670 using a modified 8 pin to dual 6 pin connector) and I wonder if there has to be some load detected on the +2 pin? Perhaps simply shorting it isn't sufficient for the PSU to trigger. Perhaps is there a way to hack together an 8 pin to single 6 pin connector, which would be able to put a load on the +2 pin.

That was likely my GTX670 attempt. I suggested the same thing there: Connecting the extra ground pins to the existing ones (since grounding a ground pin is not likely to do much). That said, some 6-pin cards do work, as do some cards without power plugs at all, so it is not entirely clear if that will solve the issue or not, or where the issue even lies.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
jc2222
(@jc2222)
March 23, 2018 4:21 pm  

I would like to add my findings when testing with a MSI GTX 1050 (no power connector) and Asus STRIX GTX 970. It does not seem like the 8-pin power connector affects whether the card functions or not, because I was able to get the GTX 970 working with 8-pin, 6-pin and no pins connected to power. The GTX 1050 would not work at all. I took some current measurements and tried drawing power from the 12v rail with resistors and that did not power on the card either.

It seems like there is some firmware or connector configuration that is preventing certain cards from being recognized.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
kqube
(@kqube)
June 13, 2018 3:17 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I need some help with grounding the spare 2-pin from the AORUS Gaming Box's PCIe 6+2 pin power cable. This enclosure seems to check for an 8-pin GPU. The Radeon RX 580 Mini ITX card I found only has a 6-pin connector. I've tried shorting the spare 2-pin together similar to the Dell DA-2 PSU trick. The AORUS Gaming Box does not light up when plugged into a computer. Power Delivery is the thing functional.

This RX 580 Mini ITX is a very tight fit. The graphics card's PCB is probably 2mm from touching the 24-pin power connector. It looks very nice installed inside this AORUS Gaming Box.

It might more tricky that that, I couldn't make my MSI RX 560 Aero ITX 4 Go OC working on an AORUS GTX 1070 enclosure. Also no luck with the sapphire 570 ITX (found this thread after buying it, hopefully used).

ReplyQuote
Dope
 Dope
(@dope)
June 15, 2018 12:05 am  

Solution is to directly apply 12v from the rail to the slot (or do this on the gpu itself). In my case with the HP rx580, it was due to half the vrms being powered by the 6 pin and the other half by the pcie slot. However, since only half the vrms are powered by the 6 pin initially, the gpu does not send the signal to the AGB to activate power for the rest of the vrms. Result is no boot.

kqube and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
zeric01
(@zeric01)
June 27, 2018 4:58 am  
Posted by: Dope

Solution is to directly apply 12v from the rail to the slot (or do this on the gpu itself). In my case with the HP rx580, it was due to half the vrms being powered by the 6 pin and the other half by the pcie slot. However, since only half the vrms are powered by the 6 pin initially, the gpu does not send the signal to the AGB to activate power for the rest of the vrms. Result is no boot.

how could I do that? could you give me a picture or video to help me. I really want to fix this issue. thank you.

ReplyQuote
Wolfred
(@wolfred)
June 30, 2018 2:43 pm  

I just came across this forum, I am on the same boat. I have a hp rx580 4gb oem with the aorus gaming box and it does not power on. Can you make a tutorial. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@aaron_leyesa)
July 5, 2018 5:27 pm  

Hey Dope, i too am interested on how you got rx580 working with agb. I did see another post where you said you jumped x16 present to x8 present, but not entirely sure what you meant.

My current setup is a zotac 1070 mini(6+2 pin) and it seems to only work under certain conditions:

*Basically having everything connected, except for gpu not in pcie slot.
*plug in thunderbolt cable to laptop.
*plug in power cable to outlet.
*when agb has been detected (lights and fans come on), we can now plug the gpu to pcie slot.
*Done

Only problem is i have to repeat this process whenever i restart or turn off laptop.😂

I feel that your implementation might be a workaround to my problem.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
August 21, 2018 1:15 pm  

Come on buddy, share how ya did it for others to follow... I have a spare 570 kicking about and have been hunting down one of these enclosures for it.

@itsage did you try this solution for your set up?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 21, 2018 3:02 pm  

@nando4 Can you comment on the steps @dope did to jump start the AORUS main board?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

68 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 22, 2018 7:51 am  

@theitsage, it is not clear what the vrms terminology @dope is referring to and how he is powering the slot directly from the 12V rail.  There is what looks to be a CPU 4-pin to PCIe 6-pin cable shown.

@dope, if you are listening, please clarify how you are powering up your mini-iTX HP RX580.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35Several build guides
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev