Notifications
Clear all

Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

of  9
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ronin74 I will check the GPU and see if there's a part number on it.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ronin74
(@ronin74)

Hi there,

Sorry to bother, I was wondering if you had any luck finding a part/serial number on that RX580, many thanks Smile

JL

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ronin74 the HP part number for this RX 580 4GB is 931738-001.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ronin74
(@ronin74)

Hi,

Many thanks for that part number, will check it out and see if I can get one 🙂 

JL

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Hello @itsage how does your progress with the RX 580 & Aorus Gaming box? Is it works? 

Macbook PRO 15' 2017 i7 3.1 / RP 560 + Aourus Gaming Box / Mac OS only

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@stanislavm I haven't had much success with this RX 580 & Aorus Gaming Box.

ReplyQuote
YLHanbai
(@ylhanbai)

I saw another user's implementation (GTX 670 using a modified 8 pin to dual 6 pin connector) and I wonder if there has to be some load detected on the +2 pin? Perhaps simply shorting it isn't sufficient for the PSU to trigger. Perhaps is there a way to hack together an 8 pin to single 6 pin connector, which would be able to put a load on the +2 pin.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I saw another user's implementation (GTX 670 using a modified 8 pin to dual 6 pin connector) and I wonder if there has to be some load detected on the +2 pin? Perhaps simply shorting it isn't sufficient for the PSU to trigger. Perhaps is there a way to hack together an 8 pin to single 6 pin connector, which would be able to put a load on the +2 pin.

That was likely my GTX670 attempt. I suggested the same thing there: Connecting the extra ground pins to the existing ones (since grounding a ground pin is not likely to do much). That said, some 6-pin cards do work, as do some cards without power plugs at all, so it is not entirely clear if that will solve the issue or not, or where the issue even lies.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jc2222
(@jc2222)

I would like to add my findings when testing with a MSI GTX 1050 (no power connector) and Asus STRIX GTX 970. It does not seem like the 8-pin power connector affects whether the card functions or not, because I was able to get the GTX 970 working with 8-pin, 6-pin and no pins connected to power. The GTX 1050 would not work at all. I took some current measurements and tried drawing power from the 12v rail with resistors and that did not power on the card either.

It seems like there is some firmware or connector configuration that is preventing certain cards from being recognized.

2017 15" Dell Precision 7520 (Q M2200M) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
kqube
(@kqube)

Posted by: itsage

I need some help with grounding the spare 2-pin from the AORUS Gaming Box's PCIe 6+2 pin power cable. This enclosure seems to check for an 8-pin GPU. The Radeon RX 580 Mini ITX card I found only has a 6-pin connector. I've tried shorting the spare 2-pin together similar to the Dell DA-2 PSU trick. The AORUS Gaming Box does not light up when plugged into a computer. Power Delivery is the thing functional.

This RX 580 Mini ITX is a very tight fit. The graphics card's PCB is probably 2mm from touching the 24-pin power connector. It looks very nice installed inside this AORUS Gaming Box.

gigabyte aorus gaming box rx 580 mini itx close up
gigabyte aorus gaming box rx 580 mini itx 6 pin 2 pin

It might more tricky that that, I couldn't make my MSI RX 560 Aero ITX 4 Go OC working on an AORUS GTX 1070 enclosure. Also no luck with the sapphire 570 ITX (found this thread after buying it, hopefully used).

ReplyQuote
 of  9