Notifications
Clear all

Power up RX 580 Mini ITX with AORUS Gaming Box  

of  8
  RSS

madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Now that there is 2070 Box announced this is a bit unnecessary but might help with other setups.

Parts:
1. Grabbed a PCIE 16x powered riser meant for mining. ~10$
2. An ATX extender cable. ~10$
3. Spare Molex adapter. ~2$

Process:
1. Unwired a ground and 12v totally from the ATX extender.
2. Added the female molex connectors to the 12v and ground.
3. Hooked up to the 16x extender. All 12v connections are replaced by direct connection from the ATX. 

I'm going to clean this up by removing the riser ribbon but need to work on my soldering. That said, 2070 Mini working well, slightly more powerful than the 750 GT.

direct 12v

Early 2015 13" MBP with Thunder2 RX 470 on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.1 (Formerly)

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen and 2070 RTX Aorus Gaming Box (Custom)
Web development, Video Editing, 2D + 3D animation

wackro liked
ReplyQuote
007craft
(@007craft)

Hi Everybody.  I had a bit of a hard time understanding all the information in this thread so I thought I would do a more in-depth tutorial, including an easy $0 cost, solder free fix.

Problem: The Arorus Gaming Box (AGB) does not supply power to the PCIE slot until it receives a power signal from the graphics card on Pin 1.  On all the Gigabyte cards, power is sent to the graphics card either through Pin 3 on the pcie slot, or the external 6 or 8 pin connector on the graphics card.  The cards are built in a way that once they receive this power, pin 1 on the graphics card will activate and send the signal "hey, I'm here".  Unfortunately this is not how every graphics card is built.  Some graphics cards need power to pin 1 to initially boot up, so they wont work in the AGB because the card is waiting for power on pin 1 to start and the AGB board is wiating for power from the card on pin 1).  Its an old fashioned standoff, with each component waiting for the other.  Please note that your card having a 6, 8 or 0 pin external connection up top does not matter at all.  It all depends on how your graphics cards motherboard is wired.

This could easily be fixed through the AGB motherboard firmware but dont count on Gigabyte to ever update it because they have no reason to, as all their cards are built to work the way it currently is.  You could buy a proper EGPU of course, which arnt made this way, and just start supplying power to pin 1 right away but of course we all want to use the AGB because its CHEAP compared to other Egpus that offer 65+W power delivery.  So plug your card in and see.  If you get lucky, your card will turn on because it works similar to the Gigabyte cards, otherwise see below for the fix if you plugged your card in and the AGB wont power up (Leds on)

Solution:  The fix is simply to apply 12v power to Pin 1 on the PCIE slot directly from the power supply, bypassing the AGB motherboards limitation.

This can be done by inserting a wire into the 1st hole of the PCIE slot, right in front of pin1 and connecting that wire to one of the 12v lines from the power supply.  This will NOT block the slot so you can still plug in your graphics card.  To get the 12V wire out of the AGB power supply, simply grab it with some flathead pliers and pull it out.  If youre lucky, it will pop out with the metal connector still attached.  Then you just plug in your wire into the metal connector and youre done.  You can solder if you want but its not even needed.  Just wrap it in electrical tape or a heatshrink tube.  Please see my pictures below.

Pulling the cable from the power supply:

Inserting my wire.  Make sure you use a small enough gauge to fit in the hole.

Now its just ready to be connected here.  You can just push your wire into the metal slot of the wire you pulled or throw some solder on for a stronger connection (But you dont need to solder).  Wrap it in electrical tape afterwards.

The final product, working great.  I have some yellow heat shrink which I'm going to slip over and heat up, but you can use electrical tape as well.  For reference, this card is a Zotac Geforce 1660 TI (Mini not Amped) card.  The box is the AGB 1080 model.

For reference here is an ATX power supply pinout.  You'll see I pulled from pin 11, but you could pull from pin 10 too, as long as its 12v.

This post was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@007craft Excellent tutorial! Thank you very much for the clear instructions and photos.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
banda banda
(@banda_banda)

Posted by: chx

This is fascinating, I would love to see an 1050 Ti tested in this... 
https://redtube.onl/ https://beeg.onl/ https://spanktube.vip/spankbang/

I could only suppose that the box pcb do not see enough load, even with the other 2 ground pin connected to the ground plane.

This post was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Teo Nguyen
(@teo_nguyen)

Posted by: @007craft

Hi Everybody.  I had a bit of a hard time understanding all the information in this thread so I thought I would do a more in-depth tutorial, including an easy $0 cost, solder free fix.

Problem: The Arorus Gaming Box (AGB) does not supply power to the PCIE slot until it receives a power signal from the graphics card on Pin 1.  On all the Gigabyte cards, power is sent to the graphics card either through Pin 3 on the pcie slot, or the external 6 or 8 pin connector on the graphics card.  The cards are built in a way that once they receive this power, pin 1 on the graphics card will activate and send the signal "hey, I'm here".  Unfortunately this is not how every graphics card is built.  Some graphics cards need power to pin 1 to initially boot up, so they wont work in the AGB because the card is waiting for power on pin 1 to start and the AGB board is wiating for power from the card on pin 1).  Its an old fashioned standoff, with each component waiting for the other.  Please note that your card having a 6, 8 or 0 pin external connection up top does not matter at all.  It all depends on how your graphics cards motherboard is wired.

It's Work perfectly ! Thank you very much. I soldered pin 1 from riser cable & connect to 12v 8 pin GPU. When thunderbolt connected, it power up 12v line & send it to cable soldered to power up argb.

This post was modified 7 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jason Hsu
(@jason_hsu)

I tried 007craft's method it worked for a MSI RX 560 Aero ITX, for some reason while others reported this works without modification, I still needed connect ATX pin 11 to PCI-e pin 1. Since I had to modify the AGB anyway, I thought I'd try the Sapphire Pulse RX 570. It boots up, and Catalina 10.15.2 recognizes it, but it would randomly disconnects and reconnects.

It was stable enough to run Heaven at 4K for a while, but it's now constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. Any idea what might've caused this? Thanks

ReplyQuote
Jason Hsu
(@jason_hsu)

I was able to make it boot and stay running this morning by taking the box apart, re-inserting the GPU, and plugging it in at login screen. However, when I disconnected it to put the AGB cover on, it won't boot anymore when I plugged it back in.

ReplyQuote
bonifaczi
(@bonifaczi)

@itsage

The problem is solved? Is there a working solution to use?

MBP 13 2017 + Gigabyte (Aorus) Gaming Box RX580

ReplyQuote
joshlac
(@joshlac)

Hi,

I've Aorus Gaming Box that I modified following this guide to have it work with RX 580:

https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/power-up-rx-580-mini-itx-with-aorus-gaming-box/paged/2/#post-58175

Question:  Can I leave the Aorus Gaming Box modded the way it's described above and plug the Inno3d GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Compact card? will it not damage it?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joshlac It should be fine.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  8