Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] PSU for eGPU and other things (Aorus RX580)  

RSS

Maciej Sowilski
(@maciej_sowilski)

[SOLVED] I have just found the thing called pico PSU, they are ~160W, so if I used that on the eGPU mobo, and had a switch for "engage egpu" with 12V line to pico PSU and 12V on the card itself that should work? Is 160W enough for the eGPU motherboard?

Hello,

I'm rebuilding my portable DIT case and would like to use one power supply for all the stuff I have in my case. The goals are: reducing the noise level, and freeing up some space in the case taken by power bricks. Right now I'm using separate power bricks for the 4 different devices I have (ethernet router with poe, caldigit ts3, hdd dock, HD-SDI I/O), and a separate AC feed for the eGPU. My idea for an upgrade is ~600W ATX power supply powering everything in my case. All the other devices will be fed from 12V line of the PSU with some step-up/down converters, I have it more or less figured out so it's not an issue here.

The issue is:
I do not always use the eGPU, and sometimes I cannot spare a thunderbolt port just to keep it on. Can I just bypass the on/off control of the eGPU's motherboard and just provide the power to eGPU at all time without having a thunderbolt plugged into that? Or is there a smarter solution, like a power supply that would take 12V DC as an input? (so I will then have a PSU for everything and a 12V one for just the eGPU?)

This topic was modified 5 months ago

MacBook Pro 16.1, Radeon RX580 in Gigabyte Gaming Box

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
timginter
(@timginter)
Eminent Member

Thread is marked as [SOLVED] - how did you solve it in the end? Share so someone with a similar problem/question will benefit from it, not just "thanks, fixed" 😀

Clevo N141ZU + Win10 + M.2 ADT R3G + Zotac RTX 2070 8GB Mini
Clevo N141ZU + Win10 + M.2 ADT R3G + Asus GTX 1060 6GB STRIX OC
Lenovo x230 + Win8.1 + EC PE4C V3.0 + Asus GTX 1060 6GB STRIX OC
Lenovo x230 + Win8.1 + EC PE4C V3.0 + Asus GTX 950 2GB STRIX OC
https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/dell-da-2-to-any-output-adapter

2018 14" Clevo N141ZU [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // 5cm NVME extender used to create pluggable NVME port [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Maciej Sowilski
(@maciej_sowilski)

@timginter, hi, as mentioned in the begining of the edited first post:

I am using a server PSU, which is 12V only, slim and kinda not too heavy. It's set to always on, whenever powered. From that I'm distributing 12V all over the devices I need, with Pico PSU plugged into the eGPU motherboard, and 12V straight to the GPU. eGPU powers as soon as the thunderbolt is connected, and rest of the devices have power despite the status of eGPU

timginter liked
ReplyQuote
timginter
(@timginter)
Eminent Member

Thanks, I can't see the edit about the server PSU.

They are great for higher wattage - just finished modding a HP 750W for my rig and it's brilliant. Fairly quiet at max 400W draw, too. Ugly as hell without a case mod or re-spray, though 😀

Clevo N141ZU + Win10 + M.2 ADT R3G + Zotac RTX 2070 8GB Mini
Clevo N141ZU + Win10 + M.2 ADT R3G + Asus GTX 1060 6GB STRIX OC
Lenovo x230 + Win8.1 + EC PE4C V3.0 + Asus GTX 1060 6GB STRIX OC
Lenovo x230 + Win8.1 + EC PE4C V3.0 + Asus GTX 950 2GB STRIX OC
https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/dell-da-2-to-any-output-adapter

2018 14" Clevo N141ZU [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // 5cm NVME extender used to create pluggable NVME port [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Maciej Sowilski
(@maciej_sowilski)

@timginter, yeah, I will post the pics as soon as I'm done with final version, but in my case the look is not that much a problem - portability is

ReplyQuote