Sapphire rx570 nitro+ 4gb + ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - power issue

Notifications
Clear all

Sapphire rx570 nitro+ 4gb + ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - power issue  

RSS

Fr4nZ
(@fr4nz)

Hi, I've recently purchased a sapphire rx570 nitro+ 4gb with an ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 to use with my ThinkPad T470. To test all the system I used a recycled 250W power supply from an old Desktop PC. The problem is that when I connect all the cables in this way:

(Picture taken from the official ADK-Link website)

and I try to launch a game (or a benchmark), the power supply together with the GPU turn off. Even if I try to reduce the power limit by 50% using MSI afterburner the problem persists.
So my questions are:

• What is the max power that the ADT-Link can delivery to the GPU using the 8 pin port?
  • Is this

a better way to connect the PSU to the GPU in a way that it delivers more power? (My PSU unfortunately doesn't have the GPU power cable)

• Is a dell da-2 enough to power the GPU through the ADT-Link? Like this way but with both 6P and 8P connector connected to the GPU:

For reference, the GPU has 6P+8P power connector with a power consumption of 195W

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@fr4nz, Your old PSU is no good. I was able to use a Dell DA-2 to power the ADT-Link R43SG with RX 580 and RTX 2060S. It should be able to handle the RX 570.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote