Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Skull Canyon would not boot with RTX 2080 Ti pluged in.

Skull Canyon would not boot with RTX 2080 Ti pluged in.  

RSS

marpid
(@marpid)

Hello everyone. I received my RTX 2080 Ti in October and swapped out my GTX 1080 Ti that was working for me without an issue. However, when I plug the new card into the Skull Canyon, the system would be stuck at boot with only the Intel NUC logo displaying but no spinning dots. Hotplugging works fine, and that is how I am using the card now. I contacted Intel, Razer, and Nvidia. Intel said the problem was on Nvidia. Nvidia said the issue was likely to be the compatibility of the Razer Core. To their credit, I tried the card on a friend’s PC and it works fine. Razer simply said it had not tested the card yet. I have no idea what to do now. Is it possible that it is actually a compatibility issue with the Razer Core? I thought it could work with anything over PCIe. Can anyone help me? I am using a Skull Canyon NUC, Razer Core v1, and a Founder’s Edition RTX 2080 Ti.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

This is likely a compatibility issue between Intel 6th gen i7-H CPUs and RTX GPUs. I experience the same thing on a 2016 15″ MacBook Pro [i7-6700HQ]. The eGPU enclosure is not the issue because I tried different enclosures and it’s the same behavior when connected at boot.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
marpid
(@marpid)

Thanks for the reply. I guess I’ll see how the new Mac mini performs and replace me nuc then.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@alaric_fernandes)

I've had a similar issue.
I'm running a 7700, with XG Station pro and RTX2070.
if i just switch the computer on, the fans spin at full speed but no ext display.
If i switch the computer on and boot to the bios and leave it there for a min, the fan speeds regulate to a lower speed.
I discard changes and exit and the computer restarts to windows.
This is the only way I can switch my computer on with an eGPU connected.
Lemme know if this works for you.

ReplyQuote