Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 and Vega 64 liquid cooled

Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 and Vega 64 liquid cooled  

RSS

John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

I have the Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 and the Vega 64 liquid cooled card. I noticed after purchase that while Sonnet advertises the breakaway box 650 supports water coolers they have in their GPU spec list it doesn’t support the liquid cooled edition of this card. Sapphire indicates on their site that the card draws 375 watts with a recommendation of 1000 watts. The latter of which I assume is for full desktop and not required for an eGPU. Has anyone had success with a higher watt SFX PSU that would fit this EGPU case and if yes which one would you recommend for power, stability and noise?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
xplisite
(@xplisite)
Eminent Member

Hi John i have an asus strix vega 64, and i put a waterblock and a radiator from EKWB, no problem with a 650 Watts, i think like you ,the recommendation of 1000 watts its for a full desktop setup.

Mid 2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 | MacOS Mojave | Windows 10 Pro
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 (Change PSU for Corsair HX850)
Custom WaterCooling ASUS Vega 64 Strix | EKWB Vega Strix waterblock and EKWB Combo Radiator/Pump

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

Posted by: xplisite

Hi John i have an asus strix vega 64, and i put a waterblock and a radiator from EKWB, no problem with a 650 Watts, i think like you ,the recommendation of 1000 watts its for a full desktop setup.

If that’s the case then is there a specific order for the 6 + 2 connectors from the enermax 650 PSU to your card? I’m wondering if it’s not an issue with the PSU and more to do with either the connectors 6 + 2 position or possibly MacOS High Sierra. The OS detects the breakaway box but not the GPU even though the Radeon logo is lit up and I can hear the cooler fan that is attached to the radiator running. The sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 water cooled box was missing the manual so I guessed at the connectors which had no markings to indicate needing a specific placement.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Steve the Developer
(@steve-the-developer)

I have the air cooled Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 card and it runs great in the Breakaway Box 650.

The card is hard to install as it fits the box like OJ Simpson's famous glove - extremely tight fit.
You will need to definitely remove the power connector from the box's daughterboard and maybe remove the PSU so you have more wiggle room.

ruslan liked
ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

Posted by: Steve the Developer

I have the air cooled Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 card and it runs great in the Breakaway Box 650.

The card is hard to install as it fits the box like OJ Simpson's famous glove - extremely tight fit.
You will need to definitely remove the power connector from the box's daughterboard and maybe remove the PSU so you have more wiggle room.

The Vega 64 air cooled Radeon RX and FE are certified by Sonnet for the Breakaway box 650. I’m using the Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 liquid cooled which isn’t detected by High Sierra so I’m trying to figure out if it’s the card set up, the Enermax 650 watt PSU or High Sierra.

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

I have th BB550 and Vega FE/LC.
It works ‘ok’ stock. I ended up replacing the PSU with an ATX to get it working better.

As far as I know, the 650 is no different than the 550 with Enermax PSU.

what Mac are you using?

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
limozeen
(@limozeen)

Posted by: John_Hillier
Posted by: Steve the Developer

The Vega 64 air cooled Radeon RX and FE are certified by Sonnet for the Breakaway box 650. I’m using the Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 liquid cooled which isn’t detected by High Sierra so I’m trying to figure out if it’s the card set up, the Enermax 650 watt PSU or High Sierra.

Whaaa? Just remove the fan. (As Sonnet says you may need to do in the manual.)

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with getting your GPU detected. Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to have much luck there as Sonnet explicitly says that the liquid cooled Vega 64 is not supported. If it's any consolation, I'm running an air-cooled Vega 64 in my Sonnet 650 and it works great - not crazy hot, either.

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

Posted by: Jyin

I have th BB550 and Vega FE/LC.
It works ‘ok’ stock. I ended up replacing the PSU with an ATX to get it working better.

As far as I know, the 650 is no different than the 550 with Enermax PSU.

what Mac are you using?

J

I’m using the 2017 MacBook Pro 15”. I noticed another forum member posted that she is using the Silverstone SX800-LTI PSU with a liquid cooled Vega in a Breakaway Box. It’s the highest SFX PSU on the market I could find that will fit this case and hope it will resolve my issue.

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

That might have been me.
I tried that PSU. I couldn’t get it to stabilize. The Geekbench test will cause the eGPU to shut down, 100%. I never figured out why, but power good signal on that PSU is known to be faulty.

You may have better luck than I.

Have you tried all 4 ports?

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

That might have been me.
I tried that PSU. I couldn’t get it to stabilize. The Geekbench test will cause the eGPU to shut down, 100%. I never figured out why, but power good signal on that PSU is known to be faulty.

You may have better luck than I.

Have you tried all 4 ports?

J

I tried all 4 TB3 ports. I’ll post back later in a week once I get the PSU delivered and after benchmarking it. I went with the liquid cooled Vega since it has higher frame rates which will reduce my rendering times in Blender and Unity 3D. Being quiet is a perk too 😎

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

This is how mine looks nowadays.
I think this will be my final configuration. 

F0164CB1 987C 4132 98A0 F5838BB97B1C

J

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

This is how mine looks nowadays.
I think this will be my final configuration. 

F0164CB1 987C 4132 98A0 F5838BB97B1C

J

What we need is someone to build an all in one SLI eGPU Box to hold a higher watt PSU as well expand on the graphics power to push pixels and geometry to our desire 😎

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

So I gave up on the Sapphire Vega 64 liquid cooled as neither Sonnet nor Apple would support it. Opted to buy the ASUS STRIX Vega 64 air cooled which is detected by High Sierra showing the “safely disconnect AMD Radeon RX Vega 64” in the top right menu but see no option to switch from the integrated Radeon Pro 460 to the eGPU. Restarting both the MacBook Pro and Sonnet 650 produces the same result.  Is it possible Apple is locking out specific graphics card resellers in High Sierra similar to their lack of support for NVIDIA? They only list on their eGPU page AMD, Saphhire and XFX air cooled cards. I’m at the point of installing Windows just to have a functional eGPU which is saying a lot being that I’m such an Apple Fanboy  🙄

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

Posted by: John_Hillier

So I gave up on the Sapphire Vega 64 liquid cooled as neither Sonnet nor Apple would support it. Opted to buy the ASUS STRIX Vega 64 air cooled which is detected by High Sierra showing the “safely disconnect AMD Radeon RX Vega 64” in the top right menu but see no option to switch from the integrated Radeon Pro 460 to the eGPU. Restarting both the MacBook Pro and Sonnet 650 produces the same result.  Is it possible Apple is locking out specific graphics card resellers in High Sierra similar to their lack of support for NVIDIA? They only list on their eGPU page AMD, Saphhire and XFX air cooled cards. I’m at the point of installing Windows just to have a functional eGPU which is saying a lot being that I’m such an Apple Fanboy  🙄

The ASUS STRIX Vega 64 air cooled plugged into the Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 (Enermax 650 watt PSU) works when the MacBook is connected in the following manner.

1. Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 cable rated at 40Gbps and 100 watts plugged from Thunderbolt port on back of Sonnet Breakaway Box to the Thunderbolt port on the MacBook Pro. I'm using the CalDigit 1 meter cable as I found the tiny cable that Sonnet provided is to short unless you want the box next to your MacBook 😉

2. DP to DP cable rated for at least a 4K monitor running from the graphics card DP port to the Dell P2415Q monitor DP port

3. MacBook Pro is left open (lid not closed)

Issues that I forwarded to Apple Bug Reporting which they are investigating:

1. High Sierra is unable to detect the eGPU when the MacBook Pro is connected to the Sonnet Breakaway Box only using the Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable

2. When tried using HDMI to HDMI cable from eGPU to the Dell monitor it caused the Dell monitor to fail when the MacBook Pro went to sleep. Basically looked like when you are on a channel with no reception and just see static

*I'll leave this thread open for now until Apple gets back to me about the above two bugs as well if they confirm I'll do no damage by connecting the eGPU card to the MacBook using DP to Thunderbolt cable and also have the Sonnet box connected to the MacBook via Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
michaeljlewis98
(@michaeljlewis98)

Hi, just came across this and thought i'd give my experience. So I have bot the Razer core X eGPU and the Sonnet BreakAway 650 breakaway box, using original PSU which is 650W for both. in the Sonnet I have a sapphire vega 64 which as expected works perfectly with 2017 iMac 4k (max specs). Then in my razer core X I took out the fan and was able to fit my MSI RX vega 64 Wave liquid edition. First time plugging in via thunderbolt it was recognised by High Sierra. Although I have not tried the MSI GPU in my Sonnet box, I recommend anyone who is stuck should just buy the razer Core X as its almost half the price (in the UK anyway), has same power and imo is a better design. I have photos I can upload/show if I knew how...  🙄 

ReplyQuote
(@mahmoud_benjawad)

Posted by: @john_hillier

I have the Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 and the Vega 64 liquid cooled card. I noticed after purchase that while Sonnet advertises the breakaway box 650 supports water coolers they have in their GPU spec list it doesn’t support the liquid cooled edition of this card. Sapphire indicates on their site that the card draws 375 watts with a recommendation of 1000 watts. The latter of which I assume is for full desktop and not required for an eGPU. Has anyone had success with a higher watt SFX PSU that would fit this EGPU case and if yes which one would you recommend for power, stability and noise?Nox https://vidmate.vet /" target="true">Vidmate VLC

I don't think you're going to have much luck there as Sonnet explicitly says that the liquid cooled Vega 64 is not supported.

This post was modified 5 months ago

ReplyQuote