Sonnet Breakaway Box upgraded PSU

Sonnet Breakaway Box upgraded PSU  

RSS

JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

Hi All,

I have the Apple Dev Kit versions of the Sonnet Breakaway Box.  I have since upgraded to a 2017 15in MBP and the upstream power is not enough to charge the 15in MBP.  I know at least one person here has upgraded their PSU, but I am wondering if anyone else has?  If so, could you please share your suggestions on what PSU you chose.  Obviously my main goal would be to have one with enough upstream power to charge my 15in as well as to possible upgrade the video card at a future date.  Also, it would be great if its fan was also quiet like the one that comes stock in the Breakaway Box.

Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Is it a standard ATX power supply? Or a small form factor?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

It uses SFX power supply. The firmware of the enclosure dictates the power delivery rating. I don’t think it’ll change when you swap the PSU. The Sonnet Breakaway Box as part of the Apple Dev Kit gets 60W power delivery using a 350W PSU. The retail version uses the same components but only has a 15W power delivery.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

It uses SFX power supply. The firmware of the enclosure dictates the power delivery rating. I don't think it'll change when you swap the PSU. The Sonnet Breakaway Box as part of the Apple Dev Kit gets 60W power delivery using a 350W PSU. The retail version uses the same components but only has a 15W power delivery.

But the 550 version delivers 87W upstream power.  So is it your belief that the 550w unit has different firmware?  And if so, if on the same hardware can one just update the firmware?

I know someone on these forums upgraded their PSU, we discussed it in another thread.  I wonder if he can measure the power upstream.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I believe it’s the firmware that decides how much power delivery is sent over the TB3 cable. My retail version Sonnet Breakaway Box has version 25.2 with 15W. The one with Apple Dev Kit has version 25.1 with 60W. A firmware update would definitely change this PD number.

Mantiz Venus has the same TB3 board and the early firmware had 60W. We provided Mantiz team with feedback about the needs for 87W power delivery to accommodate the 15″ MacBook Pro. They baked a new firmware and Intel approved it.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

I'm deciding between buying the Akitio Node vs Sonnet breakway 350. I dont care about charging or not the macbook, but I care a lot about high performance. I have a evga 1080 ti ftw3, and I know I'll probably have to replace the eGPU enclosure PSU. So it is possible to upgrade the Sonnet PSU right? Between the two, considering the PSU upgrade, which one would you pick guys?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@Rycco, the following features of the Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 are why I’d be buying it instead of the Node:

• Breakaway Box‘s quieter fan
  • noticably lighter and easier-to-access chassis
  • Using a common DSL6540C V1.0 circuitboard (also in Mantiz Venus,  Powercolor DevilBox, Apple’s Sonnet Breakaway 350 with 60W PD). Useful if needing to source these or will have more value as a parts enclosure in the secondhand market.
  • Apple using the Sonnet Breakaway 350 in the dev kit ensuring it’s passed Apple’s quality checks
  • Sonnet having better international representation (important for Brazilians or when offloading the unit)
  • Sonnet has a good quality 350W Akasa AK-PS035AF01  SFX PSU, shown here and probably similar to this

The single spec advantage of the 400W PSU in the Node may  itself be of questionable quality or has a lower real wattage given:
https://egpu.io/forums/psu-cables/akitio-node-turn-off-by-itself/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

sixsixone liked
ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Posted by: nando4

@Rycco, the following features of the Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 are why I'd be buying it instead of the Node:

• Breakaway Box's quieter fan
  • Using a common DSL6540C V1.0 circuitboard (also in Mantiz Venus,  Powercolor DevilBox, Apple's Sonnet Breakaway 350 with 60W PD). Useful if needing to source these or will have more value as a parts enclosure in the secondhand market.
  • Apple using the Sonnet Breakaway 350 in the dev kit ensuring it's passed Apple's quality checks
  • Sonnet having better international representation (important for Brazilians or when offloading the unit)
  • Sonnet has a good quality 350W Akasa AK-PS035AF01  SFX PSU, shown here and probably similar to this

The single spec advantage of the 400W PSU in the Node may  itself be of questionable quality or has a lower real wattage given:

Nando4 thanks so much for your inputs. Yeah I'll stick with Sonnet and upgrade its PSU as soon as I get it. Last question, replacing its PSU won't require any other tool/special cable right? 

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

sixsixone liked
ReplyQuote
sixsixone
(@sixsixone)

Posted by: Rycco

@Rycco, the following features of the Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 are why I'd be buying it instead of the Node:

• Using a common DSL6540C V1.0 circuitboard (also in Mantiz Venus,  Powercolor DevilBox, Apple's Sonnet Breakaway 350 with 60W PD). Useful if needing to source these or will have more value as a parts enclosure in the secondhand market.
  • Apple using the Sonnet Breakaway 350 in the dev kit ensuring it's passed Apple's quality checks

Nando4 thanks so much for your inputs. Yeah I'll stick with Sonnet and upgrade its PSU as soon as I get it. Last question, replacing its PSU won't require any other tool/special cable right? 

Nope, use a SFX PSU, swap the screws, and you are good to go. Just keep in mind if you haven't already that it would likely make more sense to go with a modular unit as only the 24-pin and PCIe power connectors are needed.

I replaced the PSU in my Sonnet Breakaway box (from Apple Dev Kit) with a SilverStone SX600-G without any issues. You may want to look into Corsair as well.

Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

Posted by: sixsixone
Posted by: Rycco

Nope, use a SFX PSU, swap the screws, and you are good to go. Just keep in mind if you haven't already that it would likely make more sense to go with a modular unit as only the 24-pin and PCIe power connectors are needed.

I replaced the PSU in my Sonnet Breakaway box (from Apple Dev Kit) with a SilverStone SX600-G without any issues. You may want to look into Corsair as well.

Hope this helps!

Do you know what your upstream power is now that you upgraded?  I'm wondering if it will charge a 15 in MBP

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: JDug

Do you know what your upstream power is now that you upgraded?  I’m wondering if it will charge a 15 in MBP

Maximum power delivery (PD) is set in the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure firmware. Upgrading the PSU makes no change to PD.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

sixsixone liked
ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

Do you know what your upstream power is now that you upgraded?  I'm wondering if it will charge a 15 in MBP

Maximum power delivery (PD) is set in the Thunderbolt 3 enclosure firmware. Upgrading the PSU makes no change to PD.

Has anyone tried putting the firmware for the 550 on the 350 b0x?  I would upgrade my PSU if I can update my firmware to allow enough power delivery to charge my 15in mbp.  I know the firmware for the 550 delivers enough power to do so.  I cannot find a link to their firmware page.  It seems to be blank.  http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=524&expand=_a13&action=a3#a3

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

I just heard back from Sonnet tech support and they claim the 550 box has a different board in it and that is why it provides more upstream power delivery and even with upgrading the power supply it is not possible for greater power delivery on the Dev kit box. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Axam
 Axam
(@axam)

Another tricky thing is cable. Thunderbolt 3 cables certified up to 60W. There are cables with e-chip inside certified for 100W, but they are not certified for Thunderbolt 3. Haven't seen cable certified for Thunderbolt 3 and 100W at the same time.

ReplyQuote
benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member

@Axam I'm using the CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Cable with an Aorus Gaming Box as the only cable between the eGPU and MacBook Pro 15-inch (2016). It successfully powers/charges the MacBook Pro from the Gaming Box, I haven't needed the Apple Charger at all with this setup.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

I just heard back from Sonnet tech support and they claim the 550 box has a different board in it and that is why it provides more upstream power delivery and even with upgrading the power supply it is not possible for greater power delivery on the Dev kit box. 🙁

But people have upgraded successfully to higher W PSU.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
adrian1989
(@adrian1989)

Hi I am planning to get akitio thunder 2 for my mac mini 2012 and imac 2013 late 27 inch 
I have a few questions:
1. Since the box does not have enough power supply as i plan to use a rx 580
can i connect a 4 pin male molex connector between 500 W power supply and akitio thunder 2 box, instead of soldering a molex connector to the motherboard?

2. Also, do i need an external monitor if i use it for imac or mbp?

3. also is it a must to run eGPU in bootcamp for mac devices or i can run it in MacOS also"? sorry im new. and its hard to find resources.

ReplyQuote
ruslan
(@ruslan)

Can confirm that a 550w Enermax power supply works well in a 350w unit.

Pending to give context to my posts: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature

ReplyQuote
BobBobby21
(@bobbobby21)

@sixsixone

Hey. Would the

Corsair SF600 Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply

Work with the sonnet 350w?Will it fit?Thank you for any answers!

ReplyQuote
sixsixone
(@sixsixone)

Posted by: @bobbobby21

@sixsixone

Hey. Would the

Corsair SF600 Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply

Work with the sonnet 350w?Will it fit?Thank you for any answers!

No longer have my Sonnet Breakaway Box, but yes that Corsair model SFX PSU will work/fit just fine in there! Good luck!

ReplyQuote