Recent Posts

Recent Posts
Forums  |  Topics  |     

of  17
  Post Title Forum
itsage RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By itsage, 23 hours ago

What gear should I buy?
  @eightarmedpet Radeon drivers for the RX 5700 XT are not very good for internal display/loopback yet. I ran the RTX 2070 Super last night and internal display mode vs external monitor were much closer...
itsage RE: 2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T-Plus) + Win10 1903 [itsage]  

By itsage, 23 hours ago

Builds
  Similar to the RX 5700/XT cards, Nvidia RTX cards do not have drivers in macOS. I paired an RTX 2070 Super to the Mantiz Venus and ran some tests last night. While the internal display mode performanc...
lefuturdelavenir RE: External PSU for the Razer Core V2  

By lefuturdelavenir, 1 day ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  @ningauble77 Industrious indeed! Well done and thank your feedback. Did you take some pics? Those PSU are definitely not designed to be silent. Razer clearly make a mistake by choosing this form facto...
jefniro RE: AMD Navi 7nm for eGPU - Radeon RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT  

By jefniro, 1 day ago

What gear should I buy?
  @wimpzilla That's it....
joevt RE: TB3 Active cable performance  

By joevt, 1 day ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  @esatamacmodular You need to remove the trailing parenthesis ) If you go to that link, it says the cable only does Thunderbolt 3 and USB 2.0, just like the AKiTiO cable. It does not do USB 3.x or Dis...
Kid RE: Replacing Razer Core X stock fans with Noctua for silent(er) operation  

By Kid, 1 day ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  I have the same setup, Razer Core X and Vega 64 Nitro but mine is the limited edition with 3 x 8 pin so I used an external PSU. I replaced the case fan with a noctua one with 4 pin pwm and connected i...
Ningauble77 RE: External PSU for the Razer Core V2  

By Ningauble77, 1 day ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  Nice work, I was feeling industrious today and partially dismantled my Core v2 to replace the PSU fans with 2 Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX fans, purchased from Amazon It took me quite some time to figure out ...
esatamacmodular RE: TB3 Active cable performance  

By esatamacmodular, 1 day ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  @cuppino Ok thanks, I see these specs listed for belkin and then akitio - both 2m cables: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 male to Thunderbolt 3 male connectors Transfer data at up to 40 Gbps Connect to Thund...
cuppino RE: TB3 Active cable performance  

By cuppino, 1 day ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  Posted by: @esatamacmodular Posted by: @cuppino I'm using this ( and I'm finding it great! I haven't had any performance loss, on the contrary it's all very stable! You can also find it on the a...
esatamacmodular RE: TB3 Active cable performance  

By esatamacmodular, 1 day ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  Posted by: @cuppino I'm using this ( and I'm finding it great! I haven't had any performance loss, on the contrary it's all very stable! You can also find it on the apple website. I bought it there...
Vrakyas Replacing Razer Core X stock fans with Noctua for silent(er) operation  

By Vrakyas, 2 days ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  Hi everyone! I just wanted to share the results of an experiment I've done trying to reduce the noise of the Razer Core X enclosure by replacing them with Noctua fans. The choice I made was NF-S12A FL...
Yukikaze RE: "CY Thunderbolt3 to PCIe" - A test of a TB3 to PCIe board off ebay.  

By Yukikaze, 2 days ago

Custom eGPU Chassis
  I decided to follow the cheapest possible way to turn this thing into an eGPU board. Sure, I could get a R43SG, but where's the fun in that. We want to connect crazy things together. I decided to buy ...
cuppino RE: TB3 Active cable performance  

By cuppino, 2 days ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  Posted by: @teltersat Hey guys, I have a question that has been digging through my brain for quite a bit. Is there any performance degradation when you use a long TB3 Active cable (2m) vs a short p...
cuppino RE: Suggestion purchase thunderbolt 3 cable for egpu: CalDigit or Belkin?  

By cuppino, 2 days ago

PSU, Fans & Cables
  I decided to take the Belkin cable. It arrived today. I chose by instinct and I really think I chose well! The cable works great and works even better than the stock included in the razer core x.
odin RE: To future eGPU users — do your homework first!  

By odin, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  @baronkrause It should just work, it would be yet another GPU in the system. The problem might come with which one a game will use by default. You can switch this in the nvidia control panel, or worst...
lefuturdelavenir RE: External PSU for the Razer Core V2  

By lefuturdelavenir, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  @brookafish Hi. I still have the cable and the original PSU. Those are designed to fit the V2 but I guess they will be fine in the V1. Can you confirm the colours of your PSU connector matches the one...
Eightarmedpet RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By Eightarmedpet, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  @itsage what kinda tests and what kinda results? AIB cards are coming through now and prices are close to £100 cheaper than the 2070 S, and I'm very interested in the upscaling which appears to be sup...
sskillz RE: [HELP] Can I move SSD to external USB C (3.1) enclosure and boot windows 10 from it?  

By sskillz, 2 days ago

Laptop Computing
  Sadly IT re-encrypted the drive, and I can't test which flag worked right now (hw config one, or current config one, I'm guessing the current config one). The preboot decryption/validation used  in mc...
itsage RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By itsage, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  I have been testing both and the RX 5700 XT is the better card for Mac users. It's a matter of time before we see macOS drivers for them. In terms of Boot Camp setup, Nvidia cards tend to be easier. W...
itsage RE: Razer Core X Chroma + MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X  

By itsage, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  Thank you for sharing your experience with the MSI RTX 2080Ti Gaming X Trio. We'd love to see a build guide and photos of your eGPU!
RE: Crash! (AKITIO Thunder2 + RX480)  

By Adriano Ansaldi II, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt macOS Setup
  I bought another DELL DA-2. I try to see if it's a PSU problem. Thanks everyone!
steve4332 RE: macOS Catalina - Tidbits & eGPU Updates  

By steve4332, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt macOS Setup
  After booting up instead of the login screen a blank white screen appears and the eGPU seems to be under heavy load (warms up rapidly). The system appears to be frozen. However if I briefly power off ...
itsage RE: macOS Catalina - Tidbits & eGPU Updates  

By itsage, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt macOS Setup
  @steve4332 Can you describe to us this white screen of death issue? I updated my 2018 Mac mini to Dev Beta 6 yesterday and it worked well. Boot screen eGPU support remained functional and even worked ...
ngthtg735252 RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By ngthtg735252, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  For performance, and don't care about eGPU in MacOS, go with Nvidia If you want to use it with MacOS later, go with 5700XT (for official driver support, plug and play, no headache).
uhzyaj Razer Core X Chroma + MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X  

By uhzyaj, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  Hey guys,   Just jumped on board the EGPU train. Started with the Razer Core X Chroma and went with the MSI RTX 2080Ti Gaming X Trio. DO NOT GET THIS for a Razer Core X. Even with a splitter cabl...
BeardedBro RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By BeardedBro, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  Posted by: @jefniro Example: AMD GPU price 400$ NVIDIA GPU price 550$ If you change your GPU every 2 years usually (for example) you will have in 6 years: AMD total costs: 1200$ NVIDIA total costs:...
jefniro RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By jefniro, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  Example: AMD GPU price 400$ NVIDIA GPU price 550$ If you change your GPU every 2 years usually (for example) you will have in 6 years: AMD total costs: 1200$ NVIDIA total costs: 1650$ So, hypothetical...
nando4 RE: [HELP] Can I move SSD to external USB C (3.1) enclosure and boot windows 10 from it?  

By nando4, 2 days ago

Laptop Computing
  @sskillz , great investigative work. Once you've completed your testing, would you mind summarizing the process needed to boot a NVME SSD in a USB-C enclosure in the opening post? This sskillz method...
guosenhui RE: egpu not working on macOS catalina  

By guosenhui, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt macOS Setup
  @elbert No, the battery shows charging, but the battery percentage keeps dropping, I guess the box is charging the computer, but not as fast as it runs out.
BeardedBro RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By BeardedBro, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  I know Navi isn’t fully supported on Mac OS, though hopefully this gets fixed soon. So the 5700 xt is reduced to basically its bootcamp abilities atm. I just am not sure which card has more to offer, ...
Espionage724 2014 13" MacBook Pro Retina [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Linux Fedora 30 [Espionage724]  

By Espionage724, 2 days ago

Builds
  Attachment: IMG_0110-copy.JPG     Original installation steps for eGPU acceleration with built-in display Specs: CPU: Intel i5-4278U (HT enabled) RAM: 8G...
sskillz RE: [HELP] Can I move SSD to external USB C (3.1) enclosure and boot windows 10 from it?  

By sskillz, 2 days ago

Laptop Computing
  I have two SSDs, work one WD SN520, and the bench in last post is when booted to it from thunderbolt/usb-c port. But it seems the enclosure can handle more (or because I booted to it), when I tested S...

By sskillz, 2 days ago

Laptop Computing
  Hey it worked! 🙂 Changed the BootDriverFlags  in a different location this time. I have 2 entries for it in my WIN 10. One in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control (which is symbolic link to either, H...
RE: 2016 Macbook with Aorus gaming box 2070  

By Brian Weigand, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  @mac_editor @itsage Thank you guys for you help...but I didn't get it to work...I don't think this method that @itsage works at all, I have literally followed each step now...and nothing.... I am goin...
C Films RE: Use USB-C port on RTX 2080 for Bootcamp  

By C Films, 2 days ago

Thunderbolt Enclosures
  @itsage That's good. Means I might be able to use a UltraFine 4K Display with it, or the new 5K model that downscales to 4K with a USB-C connection (In Bootcamp. I don't think it'll work in Mac OS sin...
odin RE: Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

By odin, 2 days ago

What gear should I buy?
  @beardedbro I'm assuming you are looking at the 5700 XT as the 5700 and 2070 Super are in two different classes really. There's a better selection of AIB boards for the 2070 super, but it's more expen...
 of  17