15" MacBook Pro 2018 with Razer core X Vega 56 suddenly got hard to get image on...

Notifications
Clear all

15" MacBook Pro 2018 with Razer core X Vega 56 suddenly got hard to get image on externally  

RSS

Joytimmermans
(@joytimmermans)

So I recently got a egpu and when I first got it everything worked fine. When I hooked up my MacBook for the first time everything just switched over and I got an image on the display. Then I also used it in bootcamp for a while but I had some problems getting it boot up but one day I had windows try to recover itself after I needed it to sut down for a couple of times because it wouldn't boot. and since that day I'm having a real hard time getting my egpu to play nice with macOS.

when I reboot my Mac the display is black but it is on. then as long as I'm in the login screen it still detects it but as soon as I log in I got some pink / purple lines always on the same spot for a sec and then my screen loses signal and goes into standby. what I have found to "fix" this. Is to reboot my Mac while holding shift, alt, cntrl to reset the smc then login again and then switch the HDMI output on my gpu. but as you can tell that is not a fun experience to go trough. It also doesn't get detected anymore when my Mac has been in sleep for a while and I have to reboot it again. Sometimes all I have to do is just switch the HDMI outputs what really confuses me why that would even work.

It works fine in windows where all I have to do is boot into windows without the egpu connected. then reboot windows and while it is shutting down plug in the egpu again and then it works fine the rest of the session. going to sleep and waking it back up still gives me a display

Some help would really be appreciated

I'm sorry if this is not in the right thread

This topic was modified 2 months ago

MacBook Pro 2018, Razer Core X, Vega 56

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@joytimmermans

Sounds like you are on Catalina. Upgrade to Big Sur as eGPU support is much better. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Joytimmermans
(@joytimmermans)

@mini-i5, I'm already on Big Sur, looks like I only tagged this post with it. only used the egpu with Big Sur. even downloaded the beta profile to see if that would fix it

MacBook Pro 2018, Razer Core X, Vega 56

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@joytimmermans

Try rebooting with Command - Option - P - R being held to reset the PRAM. Wait for the 2nd restart chime, then stop holding keys.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote