Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2016 Macbook with Aorus gaming box 2070

2016 Macbook with Aorus gaming box 2070  

RSS

(@brian_weigand)

So i have been lurkering in the shadows on this forums for along time and finally got the courage to buy a EGPU. I wanted something simple where i could just plug and play--the razor chrome x seemed like i needed an computer science/system degree to install the graphic card....so i went with the aorus gaming box after watching numerious video it seem like i just needed to install window boot camp (1903) and plug it in and i would have a monster gaming computer....i was wrong...this whole thing has been a nightmare...

I tried everyhing from the how to install...DDU

Can anyone help me?

Pending: 2016 Macbook Pro 2.9 I7 16 GB Ram Radeon Pro 460, RTX 2070 Aorus Gaming box

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

2016 MacBook Pros in general are more challenging to set up an eGPU in Boot Camp due to no Large Memory allocation. The 2016 15" model is particularly tricky due to having an AMD discrete GPU. There are workarounds to set it up though. My recommendation is to use Windows 10 1903 which has better hot-plug detection support. You can use automate-eGPU EFI to load a pre-compiled dsdt.aml file in order to allocate Large Memory for your MBP. I have the same model and can use any eGPU once the laptop has Large Memory. Here's the most recent build guide with step-by-step instructions. Since you're using an Nvidia eGPU, you don't have to install BootCampdrivers.com modified drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@itsage

1. Install Windows 10 1903 through Boot Camp Assistant then finish Apple driver installation [in macOS & Windows]
  2. Download latest modified Radeon drivers (also contains DDU) from BootCampdrivers.com [in Windows]
  3. Run DDU to remove all default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated driver installation [in Windows]
  4. Create a 24MB FAT partition in Disk Utility and copy @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI onto it [in macOS]
  5. Copy matching pre-compiled DSDT.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS folder inside EFI partition [in macOS]
  6. Remove apple_set_os.efi from EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI [in macOS]
  7. Hold OPTION at boot to select EFI drive and hit Q to access automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
  8. Install modified AMD graphics drivers for Radeon Pro dGPU then restart [in Windows]
  9. Boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]

https://www.aorus.com/GV-N2070IXEB-8GC (this is where I am looking for driver for the aorus gaming box 2070) Where do I get the drivers for the gaming box?

Itsage I need some help I got to step e....and now I am stuck....also I am not sure this egpu works now....I don't see any of the lights working —how do you know if a egpu is working correctly? How can I know my egpu isn't dead on arrival and I should return it for another one ?When I plug the thunderbolt 3 cable it does charge my MacBook pro, could you  share your DSDT.aML File with me?

This post was modified 5 days ago

Pending: 2016 Macbook Pro 2.9 I7 16 GB Ram Radeon Pro 460, RTX 2070 Aorus Gaming box

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@brian_weigand This link contains the pre-compiled DSDT files from our community. You want to match the dGPU with your laptop which is Radeon Pro 460 (RP460). Locate and download Apple_2016_late-15in-Macbook-Pro-RP460_theitsage.zip. Follow the instructions and don't connect the eGPU until the last step. Even if you use an Nvidia eGPU, there's benefits in using modified Radeon graphics drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.

Regarding the Gaming Box, the LEDs don't always light up. They would typical light up immediately when first plugged in. Depending on the Thunderbolt connection status the LEDs may turn off and wouldn't come back on. If your MacBook Pro is charging through it and the graphics card fan is running, the eGPU is good.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@itsage

When I go to the bootcampdriver page which one do I download there are a lot for the MacBook Pro. ( I download the one with the MacPro vega card....) 

dont I still need the Nvidia driver for the 2070 gaming box?
What egpu driver do i need?
Can you link me where to find them?
Should i just get them off the nvidia website?
Are the 2070 gaming box driver the same as the 2070 drivers?

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

is there a way I can remove my dGPU and just use my eGPU--I don't really care about using them both together. 

Would this installation be easier if I told you I was just going to be using this with a 4k monitor and never on the internal screen?

also so I haven’t seen the fans go on the egpu just it charging my laptop, is that still a good sign? 

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@mac_editor
Maybe you can help me? I really want this to work--I think I am so close!

This post was modified 2 days ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@brian_weigand

With your existing attempts, what do you see in the Device Manager with eGPU connected?

I have zero experience with the 2016 model. @itsage's steps are the most accurate in almost all cases if executed correctly.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@mac_editor @itsage 

I almost got everything up and running, the egpu works----but when I plug my hdmi cable into the back of the egpu it wont go to an external display...and....

I am getting a little triangle next to the rtx 2070, I installed the June Adrenaline MacBook pro.

So now I don't know what to do? but I am getting better and better everyday.....ohh this time I didn't run DDU in safe mode....and that seem to work...but I dunno

ReplyQuote
(@brian_weigand)

@mac_editor @itsage

Thank you guys for you help...but I didn't get it to work...I don't think this method that @itsage works at all, I have literally followed each step now...and nothing....

I am going to throw in the towel probably...unless I hear something back.

But I have gone over and over in a circle and it doesn't work.

The egpu never is recognized by the EFI system, after I DDU and run the bootcamp.com driver. I have plugged it into the right side and the left side and restarted many many times......please HELP! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO NOW. 

ReplyQuote