Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2016 MBP 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports eGPU sweetspot

2016 MBP 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports eGPU sweetspot  

RSS

Profila
(@profila)

For the first gen TB3 13" macbook with dual-core CPU what do you think is the sweetspot in terms och GFX performance.

I am going to play WoW Classic primarily, and I feel the latest AMD GPUs will be severely bottlenecked by the CPU.

If someone could point me to another article or topic discussing the above I would love to dig in myself 🙂

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Profila
(@profila)

@eightarmedpet

Awesome thanks, too bad the Gaming Box 580 is EOL? 🙁

We need more small mainstream enclosures..!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I would usually agree but not a fan of the gaming boxes due to the number of issues I hear people having (might be due to lots of people having them rather than lots of faults) and the noise from the small psu.
Could try the Zotac Amp box mini and an ITX single fan card?
Or.. for you... I'd almost be inclined to go Node Lite and a 1650 if you are ok with running windows?
I have an RX560 inside a Node lite and the performance in 1080 is just about bearable... just...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Profila
(@profila)

That's invaluable information. Thanks a million.

I would prefer to keep it AMD, fortunately WOW Classic runs pretty well on MacOS. With some luck I might even be able to activate Freesync on my monitor.

I might have stumbled upon a super cheap Gaming Box RX 580... Still in shock, looking forward to sharing my experience.

ReplyQuote