Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" MacBook pro GTX 1070 GIgabyte Gaming Box help 🙁  

of  3
  RSS

FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

Please forgive me guys I'm frustrated and feel like I'm always finding partial guides that don't fully address what to do.  I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro with the 560 graphics and just purchased the gaming box gtx 1070.

I already had bootcamp. Gaming Box is plugged into the TB3 port closest to the screen. It boots into windows and illuminates the LEDS. It charges MBP.

1. I restarted and booted into recovery mode to disable SIP
2. I loaded rEFINED
3. Booted into Windows
4. Downloaded Gigabyte's Gaming Box Firmware
5. Downloaded TB3 software recommended in Gaming Box's file
6. Ran the Gaming Box Firmware and selected the .bin file
7. Ran DDU. Uninstalled Radeon, Intel, and Nvidia hardware.
8. Restart and using rEFINED I boot back into windows
9. Downloaded and tried to install the Intel 630 UHD drivers found in the build guide. Older drivers but the one told to go with. End in 4664
10. Try to install Intel driver and met with "you do not have the right hardware" type warning.
11. Download nvidia drivers and try installing. At roughly 30 seconds into the install the computer locks up entirely.

That's where I'm at right now. What am I missing? I've looked at the closest build guide for my machine and not getting it working.  I do not have an external display I play to use MacBook's display.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

I wanted to give an update.  I don't know why but I shut everything down, rebooted, redownloaded the nvidia drivers (the large 500+MB one not the 350MB one and it has done a full install. Not sure how functional as of yet. Unigen threw fatal errors and will not load. I'm currently downloading 3d mark but I'm in a hotel and not the fastest wifi. It's a 4.5GB file so will have to test tomorrow.

ERRORS:

1) Right clicking in windows and selecting Nvidia Control Panel tells me "You are not currently using a display attached to a Nvidia GPU".

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Enky_bubu
(@enky_bubu)

I would suggest try hotplugging the egpu immediately after selecting windows from the boot drive, within one second of the windows logo appearing. (Holding the option key at boot allows for boot drive selection, so one can time it better).

This allowed/facilitated the MBP in detecting the GPU and monitor.

I am using a razer core X with a MBP 2017 15", and if I plug the egpu at any other time, I may see the same error (You are not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu)

-Macbook Pro mid 2017 15"
-Razer Core X
-RTX 2080 (MSI Gaming X Trio)
-ROG PG279Q

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

I’ve followed the guide to the letter still having issues.

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

It would appear that even though intel downloaded and installed the video driver itself my MacBook did not like it and it is causing a ton of issues. I uninstalled the driver and it's not "normal".  My eGPU however is not showing up when booting into windows and I am doing the switch. The eGPU is no longer lighting up. I don't know why windows does not recognize it.  I've been hitting google and found where someone had an issue with after updating the gigabyte gaming box software they needed to reinstall the VGA driver hardware. I'm working on that now. 

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

Intel keeps wrecking the windows install. Lost support for TB3 somehow and couldn't get it working again so starting from scratch with a fresh windows install. Wish me luck.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@flyingtexan Why do you need reFind/etc. for the iGPU?  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-15-mid-2017-aorus-gtx-1080-gaming-box/

The 2017 15" MBP is plug-n-play on Windows with NVIDIA eGPUs without any hacks. Remove all drivers, then boot with eGPU plugged in. Windows should automatically install drivers (monitor in the task manager). If you don't want Windows to auto-install drivers, disconnect from the internet after keeping a saved copy of the latest drivers downloaded. Don't plug in any peripherals to any other thunderbolt ports while setting up. Hot-plugging should typically work as well.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@flyingtexan Why do you need reFind/etc. for the iGPU?  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-15-mid-2017-aorus-gtx-1080-gaming-box/

The 2017 15" MBP is plug-n-play on Windows with NVIDIA eGPUs without any hacks. Remove all drivers, then boot with eGPU plugged in. Windows should automatically install drivers (monitor in the task manager). If you don't want Windows to auto-install drivers, disconnect from the internet after keeping a saved copy of the latest drivers downloaded. Don't plug in any peripherals to any other thunderbolt ports while setting up. Hot-plugging should typically work as well.

I don't know I was just following the guide. But apparently because you need to be able to force the MacBook pro to use the integrated graphics because I'm not plugging anything into an external monitor. I'm sitting on a hotel with my MacBook and the egpu. Right now the egpu isn't even lighting up anymore I'm afraid something has happened to it.  I hear the sound of plugging something into the computer but I can't get windows to recognize anything.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@flyingtexan The Aorus Box sometimes does not light up as it gets "stuck". Disconnect everything from the box for 10min and retry.

The guide is not accurate for the 2017 15" MBP I'm afraid. You don't need to activate iGPU for your 2017 15" MBP even if you are not plugging in any monitor to your eGPU. Windows 1803 allows setting GPU preferences (so your low performance GPU = 560, and high perf = 1070). I mentioned there that it needs updating. I'm on a 2018 MBP which has more problems (2017 15" is the easiest for eGPU on bootcamp, 2018 has some other issues) and even I can run the NVIDIA eGPU on internal display without hacks.

To clean up your system from all the iGPU stuff you've done, reset SMC, NVRAM, and boot into macOS cleanly twice.

So in a working system, you would have the 560 running your internal monitor, but apps/games can be made to use eGPU using the Windows setting (which requires a functioning GPU running the display, which your 560 will be).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FlyingTexan
(@flyingtexan)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@flyingtexan The Aorus Box sometimes does not light up as it gets "stuck". Disconnect everything from the box for 10min and retry.

The guide is not accurate for the 2017 15" MBP I'm afraid. You don't need to activate iGPU for your 2017 15" MBP even if you are not plugging in any monitor to your eGPU. Windows 1803 allows setting GPU preferences (so your low performance GPU = 560, and high perf = 1070). I mentioned there that it needs updating. I'm on a 2018 MBP which has more problems (2017 15" is the easiest for eGPU on bootcamp, 2018 has some other issues) and even I can run the NVIDIA eGPU on internal display without hacks.

To clean up your system from all the iGPU stuff you've done, reset SMC, NVRAM, and boot into macOS cleanly twice.

So in a working system, you would have the 560 running your internal monitor, but apps/games can be made to use eGPU using the Windows setting (which requires a functioning GPU running the display, which your 560 will be).

Knocking on wood, with my forehead, I had actually unplugged the gaming box to take the case off to see if the inside breaker was blown. That took long enough that I plugged it in and it lit up. So then I rebooted into windows and nvidia drivers recognized and installed. As of right now it's recognized in Windows but no idea if it's really working so downloading unigen.

On a side note the screen flicker ended up being bad driver through intels install. On top of that the next issue was getting thunderbolt three to update correctly as it kept saying it wasn't being used.  Turns out the older software is like 80MB while the updated was only 6MB. Running either one on their own caused issues. So running the 80MB file first then updating it to the newest with the 6MB download somehow got it working correctly again. At least that part.

Before, even though I had the GTX 1070 recognized and drivers installed I couldn't access the nvidia control panel because it kept saying I wasn't attached to an external monitor. That's why I went the apple_set_os route and integrated.bat Let me see if unigen works.

ReplyQuote
 of  3