Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
2018 MBP 15" + 1080Ti FTW3 & the Mantiz on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030)

[Solved] 2018 MBP 15" + 1080Ti FTW3 & the Mantiz on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030)  

RSS

tkthree
(@tkthree)

Hey Guys,

First post here, super sorry if someone has already asked this, but I feel like I've tried everything and I'm still dealing with problems. 

I've installed every script listed on the site header, including Fr34ks script, and even when booting when the EFI boot script (which only works once then I have to recreate it) I get a black screen on my main screen and just the blurred login screen with no place to login on my external screen. 

Any help is appreciate, thanks you guys! 

EDIT : SOLVED!

My process. Shoutout to Korie Cull for the help

1. Clean install of high sierra 
2. Purge wrangler script 
3. Reboot into CMD + R mode and run command the command: csrutil disable :  to disable SIP
4. Boot back in, hotplug, recognized! 

Full system list: 
Intel Core i9
32GB ddr4
1tb SSD internal 
Radeon 560x + onboard internal graphics

Mantiz Venus 
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 

This topic was modified 3 days ago

MBP 2018 i9 + 1080ti FTW3

ReplyQuote
MayhemGang - Minecraft
(@mayhemgang_-_minecraft)

Meanwhile, Exact same specs, GPU 1050 RTX Gigabyte, I detect the gpu but don't use it. Damn.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tkthree
(@tkthree)

Posted by: MayhemGang - Minecraft

Meanwhile, Exact same specs, GPU 1050 RTX Gigabyte, I detect the gpu but don't use it. Damn.

What scripts / methods have you used to get it detected? 

Also, you're living my dream rn lol. Share some of that hardware magic please 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@louis_zhou)

Hey I'm gonna need a little bit context here. Are you running Windows on an external SSD via the eGPU enclosure? I just went through this process yesterday?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tkthree
(@tkthree)

@louis_zhou

I need it to work on MacOS, 99% of eGPU setups work seamlessly on windows because of driver support

ReplyQuote
MayhemGang - Minecraft
(@mayhemgang_-_minecraft)

Hey guys, I figured some more things out. The eGPU only shows up as detected on About Your Mac, if you have an external display, and set that display to your main display. eGPUs only work well using an external monitor. Using set-egpu, I was able to override this, and set GPU priority to all my apps. Now, I went through the trouble of compiling CUDA and Tensorflow-gpu on the mac, using a python .whl.....

Anyways, now I can finally use my eGPU to do tensorflow! I can't make a tutorial, as this is a process different for many, but I suggest the mac-egpu.sh script, the set-egpu script, and purge-wrangler to do the job for you. 😀

This is a direct reply to you, @tkthree.
As I said above. set-egpu and purge-wrangler works very well, along with the obvious egpu.sh script. You should remember though, you can't hot-plug using my current setup. Hot-plugging only works nicely for AMD Vega gpu cards, as Mac Mojave supports them. I am using an NVIDIA card for tensorflow(cuda support), and thus I plug my egpu in before booting up my iMac/macbook pro. Disconnecting it while using the macbook results in an instant full crash of the computer.

This post was modified 1 day ago

ReplyQuote