5600m in bootcamp will NOT work with VR (5500 worked). eGPU needed. Details insi...

Notifications
Clear all

5600m in bootcamp will NOT work with VR (5500 worked). eGPU needed. Details inside.  

of  2
  RSS

Rave-TZ
(@rave-tz)

I'm a VR developer and wanted to point out some interesting things I found out about the 5600m GPU.

The 5500m worked fine with many VR platforms with limited performance. I upgraded to the 5600m to find it outperformed my "VR Ready" laptop in benchmarks. However, I came to find a fatal flaw with the 5600m with VR. It does NOT support Direct Display Mode. The GPU treats the headsets as external monitors and no amount of tweaking things made it any better.

Tried this with Rift, Rift S, and Valve Index.

Direct Display Mode takes VR content and renders it directly to the headset without Windows treating it as an additional monitor.

I've tried this with Windows 10 1903 and 2004.

I also tried force feeding the Red driver from April on the 5600m. It gave me the gamer options and reported the right number of cores, VRAM, memory type, but called it a 5500m instead of a 5600m.

None of this had any effect.

Now, I have every relevant VR HMD in at my studio so I'm happy to test any configuration if anyone has any ideas.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rave-tz, We likely have to wait for new Radeon drivers that enables Direct Display Mode in the RP 5600M dGPU. Which version did Boot Camp drivers come with? I got a Dell G5 SE this past weekend with the 5600M dGPU. How do I check if the drivers/GPU support Direct Display Mode?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Zhao Lang
(@zhao_lang)

Does it work with oculus link since that's over a USB cable?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rave-TZ
(@rave-tz)

@itsage, The ncluded bootcamp drivers matched the version number with the new AMD release (19.50 6/29/2020)

The Radeon software is reporting a 4/20/2020 driver release date.  I installed the drivers from AMDs website too.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

To test direct mode, you need to connect a VR headset to your laptop (via Thunderbot / USB-C to DisplayPort adapter).  If your VR headset is detected as an additional monitor, it didn't work.  You can try installing the VR software (SteamVR / Oculus) to double check.

@zhao_lang, Yes.  Oculus Quest Link works.

ReplyQuote
jfclemay
(@jfclemay)

Hi,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 16 with the latest 5600m graphics card, specifically to do VR walk-throughs of architecture with my clients.  I've just received my Oculus Rift S and tried connecting it with a TomToc DisplayPort to USB C adapter, and a TomToc USB to USB C adapter.

It doesn't work.  The computer detects the Oculus as an external display.  I'm using a fresh Boot Camp installation with Windows 10 and the latest AMD driver (19.50.32.01).  The Oculus set-up application detects the USB connection, but not the DisplayPort connection.  It allowed me to update the headset firmware, but this didn't help.

In the Radeon control panel, I've tried setting the Oculus as the "preferred display".  This didn't help either.

I've reported the problem to Oculus.  I hope AMD are working on a driver update.

Thank you,

Jf

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Samy2019
(@samy2019)

@rave-tz, I am having the same exact problem, just one more voice to add to this dilemma.  I have received my MacBook Pro 16 inch with 5600m just few days ago and it looks like it will have to go back (be returned) if a fix is not available within the next 7 days.  5600m and VR is the only reason why I purchased it and paid a premium price for it over other options.  Because I can't test how well it works in VR I can't keep it.  

This is incredibly disappointing especially after waiting 2 weeks for it only to discover that I can't decide if it is fast enough or not.  What a mess.  

ReplyQuote
Lucster
(@lucster)

@samy2019, Hi. I have a MacBook Pro 16 late 2019 maxed out, as follows: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM; AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB dGPU; 8 TB SSD storage. I use a DP to USB C adapter for the Valve Index and the April 2020 Adrenaline drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com for the AMD dGPU in Windows 10 Pro 64 bits, version 2004.

VR works well with Beat Saber but has a bit of stuttering in Half Life Alyx and No Man's Sky, giving me headaches. It's a bit disappointing to be honest, considering that my setup costs a whole lot of money. This leads me to think that if one really wants to do VR in a "civilized manner" (meaning no stuttering, no headaches, no nausea) at this point in time, one may as well build a gaming desktop PC with a least an Intel Core i9 9900 KF CPU (or i9 9900 KS CPU) combined with an Nvidia RTX 2080 Super or RTX 2080 TI, which will easily cost $3k to $4K USD.

Considering that my MacBook Pro 16 is my main work machine, I will explore purchasing an eGPU with an Nvidia GPU card strictly for gaming and VR in Bootcamp, like the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 TI eGPU ($1,500 USD), provided of course that it actually works with the Valve Index. If anyone has experience running an eGPU with the Index, please let me know if it works properly. I know that there is a performance penalty by using an eGPU for gaming but an eGPU with an Nvidia RTX 2080 TI will surely beat the internal AMD 5500m for VR.

So, in conclusion, VR is very far from mainstream given the cost of the setup required to enjoy it properly. Maybe I' simply sell my Valve Index and wait a few years until VR really becomes mainstream.

Best regards.

Luc

ReplyQuote
Lucster
(@lucster)

At the end of the day, I"ll probably purchase a desktop gaming PC, most likely an Alienware Aurora R11 with a solid configuration.

ReplyQuote
gabe
 gabe
(@gabe)

I just got my Macbook Pro 16" and have been working on getting VR working for several days now (In Windows / Boot Camp). I also came to the conclusion that the AMD Drivers do not have Direct Display Mode.

Since the Driver may need an update, I made a suggestion to AMD on their website and hope others will also to show AMD that this is a needed feature we want.

https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D20A5E1335

My Macbook Pro specs:

2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 Memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 Memory
4TB SSD storage

I have a HTV VIVE
Using 2 different USB-C to HDMI Adapters.

Thanks for reading

ReplyQuote
Gabrahamandfriends
(@gabrahamandfriends)

Any update on this? I submitted reports to Apple and AMD and also sent donation to bootcampdrivers.com with message hoping to have this expedited. Has anyone tried forcing a certain driver revision onto the Mac with 5600M that worked?

ReplyQuote
 of  2