Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Akitio Node + EVGA 1080 Ti SC2

Akitio Node + EVGA 1080 Ti SC2  

RSS

fiddy
(@fiddy)

The PSU from my Akitio Node is shutting itself off when under load. Does anybody have a solution? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

I have this exact setup and I didn't have any issues whatsoever with it shutting off under load, but this has been a complaint from some others  about their PSU being "marginal" and not capable of the rated power.

I did replace the Node's PSU recently, but that was only to address the noisy PSU fan.  My Node with the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 has been rock-solid out of the box.  I would suggest contacting AKiTiO and opening an RMA.

Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe SSD, 32GB memory
Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan
2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Really? So there's this kind of issue? I'm currently running an EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with my akitio thunder2 + EVGA PSU 600w. I'm looking for changing to Akitio Node, but I may reconsider if the PSU of it is an issue for these powerful cards.

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

I wouldn't rule out the Node due to a potential PSU issue.  Even when replacing the PSU with a better one for $100 or less the Node is still a good value, IMO.  It uses a standard SFX PSU and takes all of 5-10 minutes to swap out if you want something better or quieter.

Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan
2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Posted by: drax392

I wouldn't rule out the Node due to a potential PSU issue.  Even when replacing the PSU with a better one for $100 or less the Node is still a good value, IMO.  It uses a standard SFX PSU and takes all of 5-10 minutes to swap out if you want something better or quieter.

Oh so indeed its possible to swap the PSU? Any specific dimensions that I should look or my current EVGA 600W would fit?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Rycco
Posted by: drax392

Oh so indeed its possible to swap the PSU? Any specific dimensions that I should look or my current EVGA 600W would fit?

Yup, super easy.  As I mentioned before, you can put any SFX form factor PSU in the Node.  It looks like that EVGA PSU is an ATX form factor so it won't fit.

This is what I installed, they also have 450W version for $30 cheaper, but I wanted to make sure I had a fair amount of power overhead.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-SF600-Performance-Power-Supply/dp/B01CGI5M24

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Thanks! Sorry I didn't know the difference about ATX and SFX haha. It's been a while I don't deal with desktops. 
But, if I'm adding $100 bucks for the new PSU I would be better buying an Mantiz Venus, no? I know the 550w is not REAL 550w, but should be more than enough, no?

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

Thanks! Sorry I didn't know the difference about ATX and SFX haha. It's been a while I don't deal with desktops. 
But, if I'm adding $100 bucks for the new PSU I would be better buying an Mantiz Venus, no? I know the 550w is not REAL 550w, but should be more than enough, no?

I don't have any experience with the Venus so I can't comment.  The 400W in the Node should be more than enough, too, but...  Keep in mind that I don't believe Mantiz makes their own PSU, AKiTiO doesn't make their own, they are sourced from a 3rd party.  Defective parts can happen anywhere.

If the Venus PSU and case fan are silent and noise is a concern then going that route may save some annoyance, but if the Venus PSU is noisy like the Node then that may be an issue.  I don't know if the Venus uses a standard PSU or a custom one.  Something to look into.

ReplyQuote
fiddy
(@fiddy)

Thanks for your responses. When I under-clock my card to 50%, the PSU does not shut down. Quite a drag that the node can't give to power it was rated for. I will send them an e-mail. Hopefully they do something.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Maybe I'll get a Sonnet Breakway box instead of the Akitio. Does anyone know how hard is to replace its PSU?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Maybe I’ll get a Sonnet Breakway box instead of the Akitio. Does anyone know how hard is to replace its PSU?

The Sonnet Breakaway Box has a Akasa AK-SF035AF01 PSU as seen here and fan opening here .  That model yields no details on google, nor does it look like a High Power SFX-350BR (though it mentions it on the label) shown here since the fan chassis appears different plus has a larger 9cm fan.

There is however an upcoming SFX PSU Akasa AK-PS035AF03, to be released soon as documented here , pictured and summarized below. This is a good quality PSU. I’d bet they are very similar.

Akasa AK-PS035AF03 SFX Power Supply
350W
supports SFX form factor and ATX ia bracket
single 12V rail
ultra quiet 9cm fan
dimension: 120 x 100 x 63mm (WxDxH)
85% efficient, active PFC

The review summary being:

The Akasa SFX is also from Sirfa/High Power, this time using the same platform as the SilverStone ST30SF V2.0 and ST45SF V3.0, or at least the 450W for sure since that’s the unit pictured. I would think that the 300W is the same however.

Weirdly Akasa doesn’t seem to have a 80 PLUS certification and is labeling it as “85% efficient”, which would correspond to Bronze. I’m not sure if this is just temporary until testing is complete or if they intend to sell it like that. The 500W is the same way but with a “90% efficient” label for the equivalent of Gold.

I misplaced my notes for these units, but presumably they will release in a similar timeframe to the Venom RG to get that sweet, sweet synergy.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

Rycco liked
ReplyQuote