Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Akitio Node Pro seems to be underpowered for an Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 (2017 15"...

Akitio Node Pro seems to be underpowered for an Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 (2017 15" MacBook Pro). Am I missing something?  

RSS

limozeen
(@limozeen)

I thought I'd give the combination a shot because [I thought] I had seen a few instances online of people who had that same combination, but my Akitio Node Pro arrived a few days ago along with an Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 and... no dice.

First, the Node Pro is a really slick looking enclosure. I'll give it that for sure. And I love the handle design. (Shame I'm returning the thing!)

But more importantly, with the GPU installed in the Node Pro I plugged it into my 2017 15" MacBook Pro (already logged in), and then flipped the power switch on the Node Pro. It powered up the GPU, fans spinning like mad and red lights aglow. System Information did not recognize the Vega 64 nor did it seem to recognize that there was a GPU installed there ---- although it did see that something was there and reported its product ID.

I had read reports of the eGPU alleviating enough of the power requirements of the MBP that the 60 watt PD from the Node Pro was sufficient to keep a MBP charged and even to slowly charge it. No such luck with my machine, which was very slowly draining power.

I plugged in my computer's power cord, which should - per Akitio - have left the GPU with a solid 475 watts of power to play with, but it was still not recognized on my MBP.

THAT IS... until I unplugged it. At that point a notification popped up saying that I had disconnected an external graphics card without first ejecting it. No crash, no logout/login requirement. Just the notification. And right around then, for a few seconds, the eGPU icon actually appeared in my menu bar.

I tried again, this time with my computer's power cable plugged in the whole time but I got the same exact result. I ordered a Sonnet 650 which will arrive in a couple of days and which should do the trick, but am I missing something? Because - despite the GPU's power rating - everything I have read regarding the Vega 64's actual power draw says that 475 Watts should be plenty to power it comfortably. (This is my first foray into the whole eGPU thing. Holy hell, was that card HOT when I took it out!!)

-limozeen

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

Posted by: limozeen

I thought I'd give the combination a shot because [I thought] I had seen a few instances online of people who had that same combination, but my Akitio Node Pro arrived a few days ago along with an Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 and... no dice.

First, the Node Pro is a really slick looking enclosure. I'll give it that for sure. And I love the handle design. (Shame I'm returning the thing!)

But more importantly, with the GPU installed in the Node Pro I plugged it into my 2017 15" MacBook Pro (already logged in), and then flipped the power switch on the Node Pro. It powered up the GPU, fans spinning like mad and red lights aglow. System Information did not recognize the Vega 64 nor did it seem to recognize that there was a GPU installed there ---- although it did see that something was there and reported its product ID.

I had read reports of the eGPU alleviating enough of the power requirements of the MBP that the 60 watt PD from the Node Pro was sufficient to keep a MBP charged and even to slowly charge it. No such luck with my machine, which was very slowly draining power.

I plugged in my computer's power cord, which should - per Akitio - have left the GPU with a solid 475 watts of power to play with, but it was still not recognized on my MBP.

THAT IS... until I unplugged it. At that point a notification popped up saying that I had disconnected an external graphics card without first ejecting it. No crash, no logout/login requirement. Just the notification. And right around then, for a few seconds, the eGPU icon actually appeared in my menu bar.

I tried again, this time with my computer's power cable plugged in the whole time but I got the same exact result. I ordered a Sonnet 650 which will arrive in a couple of days and which should do the trick, but am I missing something? Because - despite the GPU's power rating - everything I have read regarding the Vega 64's actual power draw says that 475 Watts should be plenty to power it comfortably. (This is my first foray into the whole eGPU thing. Holy hell, was that card HOT when I took it out!!)

-limozeen

I noticed the same issue with the Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 and the Vega 64 liquid cooled card. Sonnet is detected by MacOS High Sierra but not the card. When unplugging the Thunderbolt cable without shutting down my MacBook Pro the eGPU icon briefly displays in the top righ menu bar. I submitted a bug report to Apple but have yet to get a response. Reached out to Sonnet who said the card isn’t supported with this box as they were unable to get it to work with High Sierra and that changing to a higher watt PSU would make no difference due to transient power from the PSU through their motherboard to the card and to the Mac. They recommended sticking with aircooled cards so I ordered an ASUS Strix Vega 64 and will post back how that goes. The Vega cards definitely seem to have a higher power requirement than Nvidia cards. This is apparent when I see eGPU companies listing support for Nvidia liquid cooled cards but not for AMD Vega. What’s surprising is that sliding the BIOS switch on the card to reduce the power requirement still doesn’t resolve the issue. I’ve spent close to $3000 just trying to get the egpu to work with High Sierra. To say I’m frustrated is an understatement. I can at least recover some of the lost revenue by selling the liquid cooled card and second PSU SX800-LTI but for now they are just paperweights on my desk 😎

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

I had bad luck with SilverStone’s SX800 in the Sonnet BB550.
My Vega FE/LC behaved better with stock PSU. 

I gave up on SFX PSU for the time being, and decided to use the ATX PSU. 
I still get random crashes in OS X, but I am beginning to think its causes are not HW.
I have two 120mm fan (nice and quiet ones) blowing directly at the GPU chip from both side, and the card itself is now merely warm to the touch even at full load.

But the system is now stable enough that it is 99% good. The crashes are once every few days now.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

Posted by: Jyin

I still get random crashes in OS X, but I am beginning to think its causes are not HW.
I have two 120mm fan (nice and quiet ones) blowing directly at the GPU chip from both side, and the card itself is now merely warm to the touch even at full load.

But the system is now stable enough that it is 99% good. The crashes are once every few days now.

J

Which ATX PSU are you using with the Sonnet Breakaway Box? Does it fit inside your Sonnet box? As for the original poster the Node Pro is  smaller in width than the Sonnet box but the ATX PSU may resolve the OP issue.

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: John_Hillier
Posted by: Jyin

J

Which ATX PSU are you using with the Sonnet Breakaway Box? Does it fit inside your Sonnet box? As for the original poster the Node Pro is  smaller in width than the Sonnet box but the ATX PSU may resolve the OP issue.

The ATX I use is Seasonic SSR-850TR. It will not fit in the box without some minor modifications.

There is enough room to put it there, but not enough room for the thick cables to go around, nor the opening on the back big enough. 

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

Did any of you get the Vega 64 to work in the Akitio Node Pro? If so, how?

ReplyQuote
limozeen
(@limozeen)

To circle back on this, I have been happily cruising along with my Vega 64 in a Sonnet 650W enclosure. No problems whatsoever, and even without an external display I am consistently seeing eGPU benchmarks beating dGPU benchmarks by a massive 700%.

@mois - I don't think it works with the Node Pro. If you have both already, you almost certainly need to decide which one you are going to return for a different model. Sorry to be the bearer of the same bad news I started this thread with, but I since I started it in mid-April no one has reported the combination as working (and I know that my GPU was fine, because I'm using right now in a Sonnet 650W).

@John Hillier - Thanks for the detailed info on that, and sorry to hear about your trials getting set up. Have you found a satisfactory working setup for yourself yet?

ReplyQuote
Jesse Harlin
(@the_simian)

According to what I am reading, the Vega 64 needs to have a *minimum* of a 550 watt power supply, which the node pro doesn't have. It seems like the Node pro just barely supports a vega 56 (which is what I have puchased) lets hope that works out

Macbook Pro mid 2015
AkiTio Node Pro with Tb2 -> Tb3 adapter
Amd Vega 56

ReplyQuote
John_Hillier
(@john_hillier)

@limozeen

Yes, sonnet breakaway box 650 and the ASUS Vega 64 air cooled which works perfectly on MacOS 

ReplyQuote