Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Akitio Node Pro with RX580 crashes under load

Akitio Node Pro with RX580 crashes under load  

RSS

gerardo85
(@gerardo85)

Hi guys,

I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my set up.  I'm running a Gigabyte RX580 in a Akitio Node Pro connected to a Gigabyte Aero15 7th Gen processor.  On normal use, it works perfectly no issues nothing.  But when I try to run games, it will run a few mins then the Node Pro gets disconnected.  Fans will run at full speed for a while then stop.  I will then need to unplug the tb3 cable on the laptop, connect back in and it would work again.

I don't think my psu isn't strong enough as the Node Pro has a 500w psu.  While monitoring it, I noticed it would crash when my temps are around 70+ to 80 degrees Celsius.  But i'm sure the gpu can handle much higher temps as I read 70 to 80 would be normal gaming temperatures for this card.

I've also noticed that when I used afterburner to lower the core voltage, power limit and core clock, I got it to run stable.  But these all don't seem to make any sense to me.  Bios for both the gpu and the laptop have been updated to the latest.

I hope someone knows what's going on here.  

Gigabyte Aero 15 i7-7700HQ, Akitio Node Pro, Gigabyte Rx580

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@gerardo85 Here is a build guide with the Gigabyte Aero 15 (7th gen CPU). I would start with monitoring and logging the PCH temp using HWiNFO64 and see if this chip cause the crash. We found many H/Q CPU laptops have no cooling on the PCH which often has Thunderbolt 3 traffic routed through. Next is the firmware of the RX 580. If it wasn’t a brand new card when you got it, best to flash the original vBIOS onto it.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
gerardo85
(@gerardo85)

@itsage

Thanks, i'll have a look into logging it.  The firmware of the RX580 had the same results when it on either the original bios or the latest bios.  Next thing i'll try will be to find another computer to see if it faces the same issue.

ReplyQuote
gerardo85
(@gerardo85)

@itsage i've tried logging it while running furmark at 1920 x 1080, any idea what is an acceptable PCH temp? 

1st 3 runs, without lowering any settings, in less then a minute, it would crash.  The PCH would be anywhere from 47 to 50 degrees celcius. 

4th run, did a 10 minutes run with afterburner settings at power limit -20 with fans at full blast.  It ran the 10 minutes without issue, PCH stable at 46 degrees. 

5th run, ran it again at -15 power limit, it crashed after around 8 minutes.  PCH was stable at 46.5 but crashed at 47.  

Any thoughts?  

I have a google drive folder of the logs in the link below if anyone has time to take a look.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mQ9BfA8XH7Jbq6_jfON1vwZ8hbpZ0tG4?usp=sharing

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@gerardo85 Those temps are not a concern. I believe when I was testing PCH temp issue in the Dell XPS 9570, 80 degrees C was when the eGPU started having issues. You should check the RX 580.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
gerardo85
(@gerardo85)

@itsage thats where i'm at a loss, i'm not sure what to look out for.  Tomorrow i'll try to bring the whole unit to work and test it out on a desktop with a thunderbolt 3 port.  If the same thing happens, at least I can rule out the Aero 15.  

Test enclosure with card on another computer.
If works = Laptop is screwed
Doesn't work = Take the card out and test it directly from the motherboard

At least then I can narrow down to the problem.  Thanks anyway.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
gerardo85
(@gerardo85)

I've narrowed down to the Gpu being the cause.  Tested it on a different computer directly to the mother board.  Same symptoms, hopefully it is still under warranty.  I have a 1070 that I will give it a try in the Node Pro later to see if it works well.  If that goes well, then the enclosure gets a thumbs up.  😀 

ReplyQuote