mini-eGPU with AKiTiO Thunder3 & Thunder2 & Node Lite (the best Implementations)
July-20-2017 nando4>> Just released! The US$599 Aorus Gaming Box with a GTX1070 is a factory mini eGPU. It betters the Thunder3/Node Lite DIY mini eGPU in this thread by offering power delivery and USB ports. See comparison.
mini-eGPU is the best way to get rid of your BIG Desktop PC and to have the same gaming performance. With AKiTiO Thunder2 and AKiTiO Thunder3 you can have only 20% performance drop of your Video Card and you can still play games with your old Laptop or your new Laptop that have only iGPU! In this thread i want to show you the best Video Cards that can fit in the Thunder2 and Thunder3 and the best Implementations from a users, because we want to make our desks clear and good looking! In this thread you can see that these small and good looking boxes can provide a great GPU power inside:
Comparison vs. all other BIG eGPU Chassis
Box 350 & 500
XG Station 2
|Graphics max power
||TI82||TI83||TI83||TI82 or TI83||TI83||TI82||TI83|
|Max GPU len (in/cm)
||7.87 / 20.0||12.60 / 32.0||12.20/31.0||12.20 / 31.0
||13.00 / 33.0
||12.20 / 31.0
||12.20 / 31.0
|Shipping weight (kg/lb)||2.89/6.35||6.25/13.75||5.00/11.00||~7.50/16.50||7.50/16.50||6.82/15.00||8.80/19.36|
The Best Implementations of mini-eGPU:
1. GALAX/KFA2 GeForce® GTX 1070 OC Mini 8GB (Length: 181.00mm / Height: 116.00mm)
2. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB (Length: 172.72mm / Height: 111.15mm)
3. ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB (Length 174mm / Height 111.15mm)
5. EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB (Length: 144.78mm / Height: 111.15mm)
6. ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini, 4GB GDDR5 (Length: 144.78mm / Height: 111.15mm)
8. GALAX GEFORCE GTX 970 GAMER OC 4GB (Length: 193mm / Height 111.2mm)
9. KFA² GeForce GTX 970 Gamer OC, 4GB (Length: 193mm / Height 111.2mm)
10.1 ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Length 204mm / Height 111mm) You will need to remove the Akitio fan and the Video Card metal cover*
11. EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SC ACX 2.0 4GB (Length: 172.72mm / Height: 111.15mm)
12. KFA2 GeForce GTX 960 2GB OC Short PCB (Length: 193mm / Height 111.2mm)
13. EVGA 750TI SC 2GB (Length 170.18mm / Height 111.15mm)
14. Gigabyte RX 460 WF2 OC 4 GB (Length 191mm / Height 111mm) You must remove the Akitio fan only*
Can i play games with these tiny video cards? The answer is YES you can:
(It's a laptop chart but with Thunderbolt we lose some performance either)
What about GTX 1080 mini?
On the market we have one 1080 mini video card: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Mini 8GB (Length: 211mm / Height 125mm)
With mods we can fit ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Mini 8GB (211mm x 125mm) in the AKiTiO length if we remove the fan and to cut the metal plate where the fan is. The problem is that ZOTAC GTX 1080 Mini is too tall and we can't close the cover without mods, but with new custom cover or to cut the AKiTiO cover we can have one of the best video cards inside AKiTiO Thunder2, Thunder3 or Node Lite!
You will need only external PSU power:
About external PSUs without fan we have 3 options for mini-eGPU:
- 220W from Dell DA-2 - the king of mini-eGPU builds enough for GTX 1070, GTX 1060, GTX 970 and GTX 960
- 252W from Mean Well 252W - the Dell DA-2 killer with easy mod and 32W more power enough for GTX 1080 - more info
- 120W - without mods (plug and play) for only PCIe powered GPUs like GTX1050Ti, GTX 750Ti, WX 5100 and RX 460
You will need only to replace the original AKiTiO Thunder2, Thunder3 or Node Lite 72W adapter with 120W and plug dimensions: 5.5*2.5 mm like this 120W AC Adapter Charger (£23) or eFreesia 12V 10A 120W ($22)
>> Click picture below to view album with step-by-step opening guide <<
Very very very interesting thread. I will create a small eGPU with one of these for an another Mac in the future. 1050ti seems nice!
Note: ZOTAC 1050TI work with default akitio thunder3 power supply! 😀
- Zotac 1050TI - Power Consumption 75W
- EVGA 1050 TI - Max Power Draw 75 W
here is one example with a GTX970 in the Akitio thunder 2
I went with the dell DA2 PSU and built the 8pin PCIe connector into the Akitio backplate right underneath the PCI bracket.
Very tight but it fits. The power supply for the Akitio itself is wired inside the Housing and soldered to the PCB tight underneath the Barrel connector.
So no barrel plug on the outside needed.