US$200 Chinese Domestic Market Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

US$200 Chinese Domestic Market Thunderbolt 3 eGPU  

RSS

Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

I recently came accross this two Thunderbolt 3 External GPU Enclosures that are extremely cheap and have some interesting features that would suit a budget eGPU build.

- Standard ATX Power Supply Mount. 
ATX Power Supplies are extremely cheap and can be purchased or salvaged second hand for even less, and are globally available. Furthermore, they can provide enough power for any GPU.

- Includes an open half-case, that can be used as is, have a custom case made for it or even mounted under a desk.

- Includes a jumper pin that is apparently designed for the use of NVIDIA cards with Bootcamp (Although I have no idea what this actually does).

Two things to take into consideration: I am unsure of what Thunderbolt Controller is being used in the enclosures and I have no idea of what Thunderbolt 3 power delivery (if any) they have.

The first model is branded as Wikingoo:

egpu thunderbolt 3 to pcie Graphics card external bracket stand by 6900XT rtx3090 ATX power supply.jpg Q90
egpu thunderbolt 3 to pcie Graphics card external bracket stand by 6900XT rtx3090 ATX power supply.jpg Q902

There is another version, branded as Vikinyee, that has a slightly different PCB (No red power button). 

Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock eGPU Notebook External External Expansion Supports 3090 and 6900XT High power Graphics.jpg Q903

If anyone has any information or experience with this enclosure I would love to know.

At the time of posting this, the enclosure can be purchased for $254.14 AUD (187.65 USD) delivered, making it only slightly more expensive than the R43SG-TB3.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago
2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@boltoway, I don't know if the savings would be worth it once you add a power supply. In one of the reviews, I saw a screen capture in macOS that shows the Thunderbolt mainboard identifies itself as TB4 eGFX, Vendor ID: 0x215, Device ID: 0x41. What I find interesting is the jumper header for card optimization. I think it has something to do with delay booting to prevent firmware compatibility issues with some Nvidia cards and Macs.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@itsage,

I think this eGPU would be particularly suitable for someone who already has salvaged or spare ATX PSU.

In saying that, even a modular Corsair 650Watt PSU can be acquired for under $100 AUD, bringing the total to ~354 AUD. The Razer Core X, for example, retails for around $540 AUD. While it definitely isn’t as pretty as the Core X, I personally prefer its half-case to the R43SG-TB3.

Do you have a link to the reviews? I would be interested in reading them.

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@boltoway, It's a good option if you already have some components. I'm curious what the Power Delivery is on this unit. It's one of the selling features of Thunderbolt 3/4 eGFX. The review I referenced is from a customer in Columbia. He posted a few screenshots and one of them showed the Thunderbolt mainboard IDs.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Saw this one before and skipped it prior to supply chain issues thinking (1) lack of PD advertising means it's likely only 15W bus power and (2) it was going to find tough low cost competition from the ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 and Sonnet Breakaway 350.

ADT-Link R43SG costs less and is more flexible, as described at: https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/adt-link-r43sg-tb3 , copied below:

Spoiler

ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 (or equivalent) offers a lot of flexibility

1.  Inexpensive - costs significantly less cost than a TB3 enclosure as seen in the Buyer Guide

2. Can host an unlimited GPU size

3. Can use a ATX or Dell DA-2 PSU for input power

4. Optional: once sized up with (2) & (3), can build a custom enclosure around it

5. My favorite:  can use the eGPU adapter either with a higher-performance M.2 slot or TB3 port.   Or mix and match.

Choose which device (eGPU, NVMe SSD) will use which port (TB3, M.2). You do not get such a choice if buy a dedicated TB3 eGPU enclosure. Though this is more relevant to PC than Macs.

6. If not being used to host a TB3 eGPU, the NVME-to-TB3 adapter (CY/cablecc) and 50cm TB3 cable components can be used to host portable, fast external NVME SSD storage.

Though now it might make a lot more sense. In-the-know users might seek out an ebay Sonnet Breakaway box and flash 87W PD firmware onto lesser units using tbt-flash to get lowest cost and maximum functionality.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

Boltoway and itsage liked
ReplyQuote