Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Aorus 2070 with LG Ultrafine 4K 24inch and MBP15(2018)

Aorus 2070 with LG Ultrafine 4K 24inch and MBP15(2018)  

RSS

leelee
(@leelee)

So I'm new here, and I'm about to buy a new external gpu for gaming purpose, and right now I have MBP15 2018version and LG new Ultrafine 4K. The monitor has 2 Thunderbolt3.

And my plan is using one th3 cable to connect MBP15 with monitor, and another th3 cable to connect monitor with eGPU box, I know the th3 has daisy chain feature, but I'm still not sure if this will gonna work.

My goal is under macOS, I will be able to use my monitor and the USB devices from eGPU box (I'll connect my mouse receiver to eGPU USB port), I know the eGPU wouldn't work for sure(cuz it's Nvidia),

and under windows, I will be able to use both monitor and eGPU, an external SSD for Windows will also be connected as well using the USB port.

So if anyone could help me to find potential problems, I really appreciate it!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

The os may want the eGPU to be first in the chain. The new LG 4K can connect as a USB-C device instead of a Thunderbolt device to the USB-C port of the 2070 (if it has a USB-C port). In this mode, the LG 4K will only support USB 2.0.

I don't remember of macOS can use the USB-C port of an RTX card when it can't use the GPU part.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
leelee
(@leelee)

@joevt

Thanks for replying! I just ordered 2070 box online and I'll see if this gonna work once it arrives.

ReplyQuote