AORUS 2080 Ti Gaming Box doesn't turn on after freezing

Notifications
Clear all

AORUS 2080 Ti Gaming Box doesn't turn on after freezing  

RSS

anpham20
(@anpham20)

Hello,

My Aorus 2080 Ti Gaming Box suddenly stops working this morning. Below are some context about the issue:

- I bought the Gaming Box in April, it's been almost 3 months and it's been working fine. I've been using Razer Blade Stealth late 2019 hooking up with the Box through Thunderbolt Connection and an external monitor Dell U2719DX.

- Earlier this week, I switched to a different desk and had to relocate the Box with me as well. This time I use a different monitor, Dell U2515HC. Since I moved, I've seen some strange issues with the Box. First, my system froze when I was playing games (if I don't play games, it works just fine). Second, the box's fans often kicked in super loud (I could hear the noise even with earphones). When this happened, I couldn't do anything but forcing shut down then restarted the computer. If I played games again, the issue repeats.

- This morning, it happened again. This time I unplugged the Thunderbolt connection (I only realized and regretted this action after I did it, I guess it was not a smart decision) and the Box went silent. Since then, I couldn't turn it on anymore. I tried with a different power cord with a different power outlet, nothing happens. The cord works with the other eGPU though.

I really don't understand how this could happen. I'm not convinced that a different monitor caused this issue, but in fact, it happens after I switched to the other monitor. Also, I'm afraid that unplugging the Thunderbolt while the Box was screaming somehow damaged the power supply (or whatever) inside because it remains silent no matter what I do. I'm trying to contact Newegg (where I bought it from) and Gigabyte support. Any advice is appreciated.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Max-Q
Aorus Gaming Box 2080 Ti
Sonnet Breakaway 650W + AMD Radeon Vega RX Pro 64 / NIVIDA RTX 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@anpham20, When you switched to this different desk, was the power source the same? The issue seems to be power related. Have you tried holding the power reset button in the rear and see if there's any sign of life? On my RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box, there's a very low fan/airflow noise when I put my ear next to the top of the enclosure when it's connected to power.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
anpham20
(@anpham20)

@itsage, it was a different power source. I did notice the low fan/airflow noise when the box connects to power, but in my case since the occasion this morning, I didn't hear anything. I even connected it to the previous power source, nothing happened; that's why I guess something inside the box may have been damaged. Another strange thing: I have no choice but using the Sonnet 650W with AMD vega 64 with the new power source. I tested using and playing the same game and it's been working fine without an unusual freeze. Eventually, I still have no idea why the Aorus behaved strangely.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Aorus Gaming Box 2080 Ti

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@anpham20, Sorry to hear but it seems something happened to the PSU. I hope you can work with Gigabyte directly to exchange it.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
anpham20
(@anpham20)

@itsage, thanks for your words. I had to order an RTX 2070 Super to use with the Sonnet 650 while waiting for the Aorus Box to get sorted. Hope I don't have to pay more to fix it.

Aorus Gaming Box 2080 Ti

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@anpham20, I don't think moving your Gaming Box around is outside of normal use. There should not be any objections to replacement if there's a hardware issue with the unit. I hope you get back a working one soon.

ReplyQuote
anpham20
(@anpham20)

(UPDATE)

I have received the Gaming Box yesterday, Wednesday - August 5, after a month of sending to Gigabyte for repairing and them shipping it back. Within a day, it has issues, again.

When I first received the package, the Gaming Box works nicely - plug-and-play until I played some Overwatch matches when I noticed strange things happened. The screen freezes (and sometimes goes black) suddenly while the sounds keep going on in the background. After a few tens of seconds, it jumped out of the desktop and the game closes automatically with the warning "Your rendering device has been lost! Application closing!"  

I did some google researches and found out other people also have the same issue with Overwatch. Some main reasons are GPU drivers are not up to date, background applications, overheating components, graphical scaling in the game settings. I checked everything and didn't see any suspicious problems from my set up. However, this issue kept happening several times until one point, the screen goes black and there's a loud noise from the Gaming Box (just like previous time) and I had to shut down the laptop manually. This time, luckily, the Box still turns on when plugging in. However, there's no GPU detected in Device Manager even though I still see the Gaming Box appears in Thunderbolt Control Center. From then on, it stays like that. The Box is on and detected, but the GPU is not (see pics below). Another note: I NEVER had this issue with Sonnet Breakaway + RTX 2070 Super. This GPU is definitely not at the same level as RTX 2080 Ti, but this combo always delivers the most stable performance for my works and games.

Needless to say, I feel quite frustrated with the situation. It's neither my fault nor the support team. However, I feel that this Gaming Box (at least my unit) may have some issues with the thermal control that leads to overheating and crashes the game (last time was Witcher 3, this time is Overwatch). I cannot spend another $50 to send it back again and wait another month to get it fixed and god knows what will happen next. Wonder if I can ask for a refund at this point (it already passed return period from Newegg but still under 3-year warranty from Gigabyte).

This post is mainly for venting and looking for any advice. Thanks!

This post was modified 2 months ago

Aorus Gaming Box 2080 Ti

ReplyQuote