AORUS gaming box 1070 stops working for the second time  

RSS

Shumtlc27
(@shumtlc27)
December 6, 2017 2:11 am  

Hello folks! My AORUS gaming box has stopped working again today after a week from it being repaired by Gigabyte. Last time it lasted for about 1 month. Both issues are the same. Graphics card has no response after plugging it in to my xps 13. No RGB lighting after plugging in. PSU is still on though and I can hear the PSU fan spinning(still charges my xps 13). I would say I was using it rather intensively(around 12-16 hours a day), keeping temp at 70 degrees, but I don't think that will cause any problem to any graphics card, at least not dying in that short period of time. I don't think it is a fan problem since the rgb lighting doesn't even turn on. I am starting to get a little bit annoyed since I expected it to run 24/7 no problem for at least a year, and it disappointed me twice. I am currently out of the country of warranty and I am thinking of swapping the 1070 to a gigabyte 1060 mini itx 3gb. If it fails again I will have nightmare. Can anyone provide me any fixes or is it simply the graphics card dying? I am currently trying the draining PSU method. Many thanks!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
SohumB
(@sohumb)
December 6, 2017 7:22 am  

I'm in exactly the same boat; my first box worked for a month before it just stopped turning on, and my second stopped working a few days ago, after a month and a half. For the second one, I saw the device spark and smoke before failing. 

It's especially annoying because Gigabyte requires you to pay shipping when RMA'ing, which for a heavy device like this that you have to pack well works out to $20. This is probably okay if it's a one-time issue, but for what is clearly a reliability problem with the box itself that's completely untenable. A three-year warranty doesn't mean much if you have to keep sending the device in at your own expense to be fixed.

I've opened a support ticket, so we'll see how much Gigabyte does or doesn't stand behind their products.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
blackrocksteady
(@blackrocksteady)
December 6, 2017 3:13 pm  

So I had a similar issue with the 1070 while I still had it. I ordered it from Amazon, and I have had awful luck with electronics from Amazon 75% of the time. Needless to say, I only buy my electronics right from the source now.

After about a week of use the 1070 would charge my laptop, but lights wouldn't come on, and macOS ceased recognizing it. I was able to get it recognized and working again by simply unplugging the 1070 from both the wall socket and my macbook, waiting 10 minutes, and then trying again. Once it came on again, however, a sound like it was revving a jet engine started coming from the 1070. At this point i was fed up and returned the unit to Amazon. I ordered the Aorus gtx 1080 gaming box from Gigabyte and I have had much better success with it. I'm sure to fully unplug it when I'm not using it, and it works best plugged into the back right usb-c port, but I'm going on a month now with no issues whatsoever.

In summary, try unplugging the 1070 for 10 minutes, then try it again. I know it soudns too simple, but it worked for me. I hope this helps.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
SohumB
(@sohumb)
December 6, 2017 8:09 pm  

Yeah, I definitely tried leaving it unplugged for a while; didn't help in either case. (Especially in the latter case where there was sparks and smoke!) I feel like something about the PSU is dodgy in the units Gigabyte is sending out.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
December 6, 2017 8:45 pm  

I won't speculate about the point of failure here, but this guy has some pretty good advice on the cards:

https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3949-post-22844.html#pid22844

https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-4386-post-24996.html#pid24996

TLDR: Non-reference cards tend to fail under extended load.  Can you state what type of workload you're running?  In this case it might make a big difference.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
SohumB
(@sohumb)
December 6, 2017 9:31 pm  

I was using it for VR on a Vive, though I guess I did leave it running in VR for longish periods without turning it off. Is that really too high a load?

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
December 6, 2017 9:38 pm  

Not at all, I'm talking about max load password cracking and the like.  I'm not familiar with Aourus, but if you need something for professional use, I would look at a full-sized enclosure with a Founders Edition GPU.

Side note: wish I had a couple of weeks to spend 12-16 hours a day in VR!

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
SohumB
(@sohumb)
December 6, 2017 9:41 pm  

Oh, sorry, I'm not OP! I'm just someone else who's had the same issue; I saw this thread pop up as I was thinking of making one, and it was too coincidental to pass up posting in it 🙂

Definitely not doing any password cracking, no! Thanks for the advice in case I ever need to :p

ReplyQuote
Shumtlc27
(@shumtlc27)
December 7, 2017 7:22 am  
Posted by: Flint Ironstag

I won't speculate about the point of failure here, but this guy has some pretty good advice on the cards:

https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3949-post-22844.html#pid22844

https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-4386-post-24996.html#pid24996

TLDR: Non-reference cards tend to fail under extended load.  Can you state what type of workload you're running?  In this case it might make a big difference.

Thanks for providing the info! I am only using it for 1080p ultrawide gaming so I don't think it falls along the extended load category.

ReplyQuote
Shumtlc27
(@shumtlc27)
December 7, 2017 7:28 am  
Posted by: blackrocksteady

So I had a similar issue with the 1070 while I still had it. I ordered it from Amazon, and I have had awful luck with electronics from Amazon 75% of the time. Needless to say, I only buy my electronics right from the source now.

After about a week of use the 1070 would charge my laptop, but lights wouldn't come on, and macOS ceased recognizing it. I was able to get it recognized and working again by simply unplugging the 1070 from both the wall socket and my macbook, waiting 10 minutes, and then trying again. Once it came on again, however, a sound like it was revving a jet engine started coming from the 1070. At this point i was fed up and returned the unit to Amazon. I ordered the Aorus gtx 1080 gaming box from Gigabyte and I have had much better success with it. I'm sure to fully unplug it when I'm not using it, and it works best plugged into the back right usb-c port, but I'm going on a month now with no issues whatsoever.

In summary, try unplugging the 1070 for 10 minutes, then try it again. I know it soudns too simple, but it worked for me. I hope this helps.

Sometimes my 1070 fan also randomly spins at full speed when booting up. Very strange. I will make sure to unplug it when my gaming session is over when I receive my 1060.

ReplyQuote
Shumtlc27
(@shumtlc27)
December 7, 2017 7:32 am  
Posted by: SohumB

Yeah, I definitely tried leaving it unplugged for a while; didn't help in either case. (Especially in the latter case where there was sparks and smoke!) I feel like something about the PSU is dodgy in the units Gigabyte is sending out.

I also feel the same. The PSU could be the problem here, since sometimes I just get blue screens randomly. Also not to mention it disconnecting randomly. 

I will test it for a few days with my 1060 and provide update. We will see if it is a PSU issue.

jake52891 liked
ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member
December 26, 2017 5:50 am  

Not sure what it is about this month time frame but my 'Merry Christmas' from my box was it stopped working yesterday. Is there any updates from anyone who's died and they got it going again? 

I was using it for anything other than for anything taxing! Only some games, PUBG etc. 

2018 13" Macbook Air
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (Vega 64 295TDP)

ReplyQuote
deathtrapz
(@deathtrapz)
Eminent Member
December 26, 2017 11:13 am  

Occasionally my Aorus stops working, similar to OP. To solve this disconnect the thunderbolt cable from the computer or Aorus and the power cable from the wall socket or Aorus. Wait 10-15 seconds and plug the cables back in and reboot as per usual. The symptoms of the OP are exactly what I have, where the "PSU is still on though and I can hear the PSU fan spinning(still charges my xps 13)", this will only occur if you (re)boot your computer and this is the best solution to this issue.

The power supply however is actually a server grade power supply with a rating of 80 PLUS GOLD. 

2017 MBP 15" - Aorus Gaming Box 1070 - 2012 iMac 21.5"

ReplyQuote
SohumB
(@sohumb)
January 5, 2018 12:22 am  

I just got mine back (Gigabyte offered to pay shipping both ways this time). Mark today down as day one, we'll see if that month timeframe is a coincidence or not!

ReplyQuote
karit.ruks
(@karit-ruks)
January 13, 2018 5:40 pm  

My aorus gaming box 1070 thunderbolt 3 connection is really loose, is this normal? What I mean by loose is not the cable coming out from the socket, but I'd lose connection if say I turned my laptop around. I'd lose connection, then it would reconnect. Or could this be a problem with the laptop thunderbolt 3 port? Using it with a dell xps 15 9550.

ReplyQuote
jake52891
(@jake52891)
January 31, 2018 1:48 am  

PSU is the core problem, I tried use normal PC supply power and it works perfectly. I think the only solution to solve it is that unplug the power & plug it in again , then wait for 30 seconds, then plug in the thunderbolt 3 port into your PC. Your PC might not able to write the EGPU at first time, then run the switch GPU .bat as admin and restart(something u have to force 2 turn PC down after u run the Switch GPU.bat). It will able to read EGPU next time

ReplyQuote
(@stewart_l)
January 31, 2018 2:07 am  

Hey guys. In case you haven't seen the "unplug solution" from another thread, try disconnecting the power plug from the Aorus for 10 minutes to 10 hours (leave the thunderbolt cable still plugged in both the laptop and Aorus). Then put the power plug back into the Aorus and it might turn on again.  I say 10 minutes to 10 hours because two guys on another thread said it worked for them in 10-20 minutes. For me it didn't work that quickly. I left it unplugged overnight and then tried it just now and it works again.

ReplyQuote
troywright
(@troywright)
Eminent Member
January 31, 2018 8:24 am  
Posted by: Stewart L

Hey guys. In case you haven't seen the "unplug solution" from another thread, try disconnecting the power plug from the Aorus for 10 minutes to 10 hours (leave the thunderbolt cable still plugged in both the laptop and Aorus). Then put the power plug back into the Aorus and it might turn on again.  I say 10 minutes to 10 hours because two guys on another thread said it worked for them in 10-20 minutes. For me it didn't work that quickly. I left it unplugged overnight and then tried it just now and it works again.

Wow 10 hours is rough. For me it's about 10-20 seconds. Maybe once a week I have to do this. Normally a quick system restart will fix my problems. Maybe I am lucky now. Restart is ok with an SSD, so I don't really mind.

ReplyQuote
deathtrapz
(@deathtrapz)
Eminent Member
January 31, 2018 8:31 am  

For me what triggers the AORUS to go into this state is when im using it on windows bootcamp and I shutdown the laptop leaving it plugged in, then reboot into Mac still without disconnecting the AORUS. 

So to combat this when I shut down the computer I unplug the Thunderbolt cable before the system shuts down entirely, so when the screen goes black I unplug the eGPU. Then when I want to reboot I go to the boot menu first, then plug it in (not hot-plugging)

ReplyQuote
deathtrapz
(@deathtrapz)
Eminent Member
January 31, 2018 8:32 am  

^^Also mine only takes 10-30 seconds for the AORUS to 'reinitialise' into its working state

ReplyQuote
(@stewart_l)
January 31, 2018 8:56 am  

Ya I was surprised it didn't only take 1 minute let alone 30 minutes. It might have been ready after 1 hour but I wasn't awake to try it.

ReplyQuote
henrygrins
(@henrygrins)
February 22, 2018 8:17 pm  

I, too, am having OP's issues. My AGB 1080 worked for about the first two months, then started shutting down randomly (I suspect it was drawing too much power), then stopped working period. At first I could use the unplug trick, then even that stopped working. I can hear the two little (40mm?) fans trying to turn on, but they just pulse rhythmically and the system never turns on. Power Delivery to my rMBP is sporadic or on/off/on/off in a similarly rhythmic pattern. I sent it in for RMA about three weeks ago, got it back, and it's doing the same thing! I mean, precisely the same thing. At first I thought they hadn't even removed it from its original FedEx box, but I was assured this couldn't possibly be true. Gigabyte, to their credit, just sent me another UPS label and RMA number, but I'm wondering if I'm not better off just buying a new enclosure and sticking that awesome little 1080 mini in it. I'm no electrical engineer, but my best -- educated -- guess is that the PSU is not enough to power the card and/or has simply failed. Thoughts?

NYC-based motion/UX designer.
XPS 15 9560 | 2016 15" rMBP | Skull Canyon NUC | Akitio Node/GTX 1070 | Aorus Gaming Box 1080

ReplyQuote
obinoby
(@obinoby)
April 2, 2018 3:45 pm  

My 1070 Gaming Box is in the same case than yours.
It randomly stops working (PSU FAN is on, laptop is charging, USB on the GamingBox works but no GTX and no lighting).

I use a workaround that work every time it fails:

1. turn off the Gaming Box.
  2. Open the gaming box case and jiggle the graphics card and cables.
  3. Keep it open so you do not have to open it again the next time.
  4. Connect and turn on.

It seems it is more reliable when it is open. And I do not have to open it every time it fails.
It is a crappy piece of hardware tho. But it costed me the price of the GTX alone, so the eGPU case was basically free. I think I'll end up using the GTX in a new case like the Razer Core...

Side note : I'm using it under Linux and it mostly works but not the USB and the GTX at the same time.

ReplyQuote
BarbarySheep
(@barbarysheep)
April 7, 2018 10:33 am  

I'm new to eGPUs and this community (so please move this to the correct thread if necessary), so I've been doing my research for the past few weeks. I'm interested in getting an Aorus gaming box due to its compact nature, but I'm very put off due to reliability issues mentioned in this thread:

How reliable are your experiences with the Aorus gaming box? What other enclosures could I easily get hold of (UK) that aren't massive yet has a PSU capable of supplying enough power to a 1070 (this latter question isn't all that important)?

Thanks guys

ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)
April 9, 2018 10:41 am  

I've had my 1070 box since mid-last-year, apart from the occasional failure to start up (which a power cycle fixes), it runs like a dream still.

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member
April 9, 2018 11:11 am  

I've been using a second-hand box with a 1060 3Gb for a couple of weeks. So far so good. I'll definitely update if something comes up.

ReplyQuote
henrygrins
(@henrygrins)
April 9, 2018 12:40 pm  

Thanks all for your recent responses. I ended up buying a crypto miner's unused empty AGB enclosure on ebay and it works a charm after I swapped my 1080 mini into it. I'm wondering if the original chassis is toast or if I can reuse it for something else. 10 Gbe adapter?? M.2 RAID storage?

NYC-based motion/UX designer.
XPS 15 9560 | 2016 15" rMBP | Skull Canyon NUC | Akitio Node/GTX 1070 | Aorus Gaming Box 1080

ReplyQuote
(@olivier_declementi)
April 10, 2018 3:55 am  

Hi,

Sorry to stole your thread but I am having a similar issue I guess.

Everything was working perfectly fine under windows 10, by plugging the box during boot. Then one day it stopped working. I can't get Windows to detect it anymore :/

Any idea?

ReplyQuote
mikegleasonjr
(@mikegleasonjr)
July 17, 2018 9:37 pm  

Hey guys, to know exactly when your box is completely drained out and reset, just plug a USB device in one of its port. I have a 5v USB fan plugged in all the time.

So when the box is behaving strangely, I just cut the power, wait for the fan to stop and then re-apply power... works every time. The thunderbolt controller has reset properly and everything.

ReplyQuote
Micsco2018
(@micsco2018)
September 18, 2018 10:48 am  

I have the same problem. Today I brought my MacBook pro 15 2017 and the gaming box to the gigabyte service point for repair. The engineer plugged the box to their testing motherboard and the egpu LED lights turned on immediately and It's recognized as GTX 1080. Then they plugged it into my MacBook and as usual the lights and fan not turnd on.
So I think probably there’s nothing wrong with the box.  Then I brought my laptop to Apple Store. The genius seems quite enthusiastic about this problem. He guesses that the cause might be the bandwidth is not enough to run the egpu and offer me to replace the motherboard.. But in the end the problem is still not solved.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
September 18, 2018 11:17 am  

Bandwidth? He had no idea what he was talking about. The box is not macOS eGFX certified. Apple does not support eGPUs on Windows.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 18, 2018 12:54 pm  

@micsco2018 Try the power reset to see if this issue goes away. You basically connect the Gaming Box to the power source and the MacBook Pro. Leave the Thunderbolt 3 cable attached to the MacBook Pro but remove the power cable from the back of the Gaming Box. Let it sit like this for at least 10 minutes. Re-connect the power cable and hopefully your Gaming Box will work normal again.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Sace
 Sace
(@sace)
October 28, 2018 4:16 pm  

Have anyone experienced the box starting the PSU AND GPU fans but not turning on the LED's? Mine is not detected (tried MBP and a Dell Lattitude PC) at all but the GPU fan starts spinning when connected. There is no power in the USB ports either  😐

MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016)

ReplyQuote
Chega
(@chega)
November 14, 2018 12:27 pm  

Have the same issue. The first-time workaround with turning off power supply worked for me, today it does not work, if remove GPU from the box, box become recognized, USB ports start working, LED turn on, but if put it back, the box does not recognize again and again and again. Today I go to my neighbor to check standalone GPU working. Hope GPU is not dead, and it's issue of PSU, but if it's PSU problem, do not see how could it be fixed(using external PSU is not a good solution)... Very disappoint in Aorus gaming box...

ReplyQuote
Chega
(@chega)
November 25, 2018 11:15 am  

I went to my neighbor and checked GPU in his PC. GPU was dead, even not detected in BIOS. After that, I bought the same GTX1070, after plugging into the box all start works perfectly. Dead GPU I gave to service to try to repair it, but after diagnostic, they said that GPU chip has a short circuit. It was a very sad conclusion for me. And two days ago I saw this video on YouTube  (if need I can translate all steps). The symptoms were the same and I decided to try this repair after messaging with the author of this video. I removed fuse like on the video and solid little wire on this place and removed capacitors like on the video. After plugging in GPU to the box it starts work like a new! I have done stress testing and GPU works perfectly!!! If you have same symptoms like me and GPU does not work, check fuse by multimeter if it's dead you have on 90% the same issue like me. Think this method need to add to FAQ with problems. Now I have two GPUs and think to do SLI 😀
And some words about this issue. It's a very popular issue with this cards because of Gigabyte use capacitors with low capacity and voltage. And of course a bad location on PCB.

ReplyQuote