Notifications
Clear all

AORUS gaming box 1070 stops working for the second time  

of  4
  RSS

goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Bandwidth? He had no idea what he was talking about. The box is not macOS eGFX certified. Apple does not support eGPUs on Windows.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@micsco2018 Try the power reset to see if this issue goes away. You basically connect the Gaming Box to the power source and the MacBook Pro. Leave the Thunderbolt 3 cable attached to the MacBook Pro but remove the power cable from the back of the Gaming Box. Let it sit like this for at least 10 minutes. Re-connect the power cable and hopefully your Gaming Box will work normal again.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sace
 Sace
(@sace)
Eminent Member

Have anyone experienced the box starting the PSU AND GPU fans but not turning on the LED's? Mine is not detected (tried MBP and a Dell Lattitude PC) at all but the GPU fan starts spinning when connected. There is no power in the USB ports either  😐

MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016) - Razer Core X - MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Mac OS X 10.14.1 + Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Chega
(@chega)

Have the same issue. The first-time workaround with turning off power supply worked for me, today it does not work, if remove GPU from the box, box become recognized, USB ports start working, LED turn on, but if put it back, the box does not recognize again and again and again. Today I go to my neighbor to check standalone GPU working. Hope GPU is not dead, and it's issue of PSU, but if it's PSU problem, do not see how could it be fixed(using external PSU is not a good solution)... Very disappoint in Aorus gaming box...

2018 14" Dell Latitude 5491 (MX130) [8th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Chega
(@chega)

I went to my neighbor and checked GPU in his PC. GPU was dead, even not detected in BIOS. After that, I bought the same GTX1070, after plugging into the box all start works perfectly. Dead GPU I gave to service to try to repair it, but after diagnostic, they said that GPU chip has a short circuit. It was a very sad conclusion for me. And two days ago I saw this video on YouTube  (if need I can translate all steps). The symptoms were the same and I decided to try this repair after messaging with the author of this video. I removed fuse like on the video and solid little wire on this place and removed capacitors like on the video. After plugging in GPU to the box it starts work like a new! I have done stress testing and GPU works perfectly!!! If you have same symptoms like me and GPU does not work, check fuse by multimeter if it's dead you have on 90% the same issue like me. Think this method need to add to FAQ with problems. Now I have two GPUs and think to do SLI 😀
And some words about this issue. It's a very popular issue with this cards because of Gigabyte use capacitors with low capacity and voltage. And of course a bad location on PCB.

2018 14" Dell Latitude 5491 (MX130) [8th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kim Jinwoo
(@kim_jinwoo)

Posted by: Chega

I went to my neighbor and checked GPU in his PC. GPU was dead, even not detected in BIOS. After that, I bought the same GTX1070, after plugging into the box all start works perfectly. Dead GPU I gave to service to try to repair it, but after diagnostic, they said that GPU chip has a short circuit. It was a very sad conclusion for me. And two days ago I saw this video on YouTube  (if need I can translate all steps). The symptoms were the same and I decided to try this repair after messaging with the author of this video. I removed fuse like on the video and solid little wire on this place and removed capacitors like on the video. After plugging in GPU to the box it starts work like a new! I have done stress testing and GPU works perfectly!!! If you have same symptoms like me and GPU does not work, check fuse by multimeter if it's dead you have on 90% the same issue like me. Think this method need to add to FAQ with problems. Now I have two GPUs and think to do SLI 😀
And some words about this issue. It's a very popular issue with this cards because of Gigabyte use capacitors with low capacity and voltage. And of course a bad location on PCB.

Hi, I have exactly same problem. Seems like linked video is not showing! Any ideas?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
chobochobo
(@chobochobo)

Okay, just to give you my experience. I've had this Aorus 1070 for a while now. Initially I used it with the 25th Anniversary Thinkpad (Lenovo) but it was inconsistent, and back then I had to plug in and out many times to get it recognized. I eventually got a Lenovo X1 Yoga (3rd) that didn't have a second GPU (Nvidia Geforce 940MX) like the TP25. It seemed to work ok but then stopped working after a while - I don't actually use the eGPU function that much, I'm pretty much a casual gamer now. I even took it apart fiddled around, and when I was ready to throw it out, the RGB lights powered up and it was working again. It then stopped working again about 6 months ago and google sleuthing suggested that thunderbolt updates from Lenovo broke it. I did firmware updates as suggested by Lenovo's Service Bulletin but it didn't work. I even wiped the machine, factory reset etc and that didn't make a difference. So I had a block on my desk that was nothing more than a glorifed oversized USB power supply. 

So today, I was all ready to throw it out but decided to google again. I came to this page and did the 'power reset' procedure - didn't work. Used a USB fan to check for power depletion - didn't work. At this point, my X1 Yoga did a forced Windows features update for some reason. It took ages and lo and behold, when it rebooted, the external monitor came up with a mirror of the X1 Yoga. It was working again! I don't know if it was the reset, the USB drain, or the new windows update. *shrug*

I tried to install the Nvidia drivers, but I got a blue screen of death. After it restarted, it came up with a message to install RGB fusion 2. I did that and tried again with the drivers, this time it worked. I'm going to reinstall some games now. I'm going to avoid any driver updates unless I have any more problems. 

It's been a frustrating experience owning the Aorus - it's probably put me off getting another eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  4