Aorus gaming box 1070 works only through 3.1 cable

Notifications
Clear all

Aorus gaming box 1070 works only through 3.1 cable  

RSS

ekatanata
(@ekatanata)

I have a strange bug. My Aorus gaming box doesn't recognize by MacBook pro 2020 (4TB ports with i5 10-gen). Neither in macOS or windows and by any TB3 active cable. I tried two different. But if I connect them through 3.1 USB-C cable from my HP Z27 monitor it works fine. Also, it works through any cable with Intel NUC. I trying to understand: it is eGPU, cable, or MacBook issue. And it's safe to use it that way?

This topic was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ekatanata, The AORUS Gaming Box does not work through non-Thunderbolt connection. All of your cables are likely Thunderbolt 3. The 2020 13-in MBP with Ice Lake CPU is not straight forward to setup in Boot Camp. Make sure you have the latest Windows 10 2004 before connecting the eGPU. This GTX 1070 Gaming Box cannot work in macOS 10.14 and newer.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ekatanata
(@ekatanata)

@itsage, The problem is that the game box with normal thunderbolt 3 cable does not appear in the windows device manager or system report in macOS. I tried to install 2004, it shows the same result as in any other OS. So I think there is no chance to solve this problem on the OS level. It seems like a hardware problem and I cannot find an answer to why this happens. Interestingly what you say that type-c cable from Z27 monitor is thunderbolt 3 too. But it is marked with SuperSpeed logo and in game I observe some microshuttering like it's speed very low for this task. Actually now I try to find a new box for eGPU setup but it is also curious to find a solution in this setup too.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote