AORUS Gaming Box + 2017 HP Spectre x360 13" (ae000) + GTX1050Ti = No go. Anyone ...

Notifications

AORUS Gaming Box + 2017 HP Spectre x360 13" (ae000) + GTX1050Ti = No go. Anyone with ideas?  

RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I am trying to get an AORUS Gaming Box with a GTX1050Ti in it working with a new Spectre x360. The laptop is about two months old, and is the 8550U model (13t-ae000). I can't get the eGPU working with the system: Charging works, but the video card is not getting detected. The Spectre works just fine with the GTX1050Ti in a Thunder2 via the Apple adapter, and it also works just fine with my Mantiz Venus and R9 Fury. The Gaming Box with the GTX1050Ti works just fine with my ZBook. The combination of the Spectre and the AORUS, however, are not working at all. I suspected that the issue lies in the Thunderbolt3 controller FW, which showed up as the following:

ThunderboltDetails

My ZBook shows NVM FW Version 16.00, but the Spectre came up as N/A.

I downgraded the Thunderbolt Software to 16.2. Now the NVM FW shows up as version 20.00, but the Gaming Box still does not work. Here is what it looks like now:

ThunderboltDetails16

The device ID for the controller is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15D2&SUBSYS_11112222&REV_02.

The only way I got the Spectre to detect the eGPU was by first connecting it to my ZBook, then connecting it to the Spectre. It seems like the ZBook initializes something for the Spectre to take advantage of, somehow. Once the Spectre powers down, however, the magic is lost and the gaming box won't work with the Spectre again.

Not working means that not even the LEDs start working, it is all dark, only the charging works.

Any ideas, guys? I am a little at a loss here, as I was not expecting trouble with this combination - People have gotten the gaming boxes working with the 8550U Spectres.

Update #1: Removing the GPU from the box meant that the system recognizes the enclosure and the LEDs are now operational. Not sure how to proceed at this point, but maybe I'll try to update the enclosure FW.

Update #2: Both the regular and the H2D FW have had no effect. If the GTX1050Ti is in the enclosure, then the whole thing refuses to work entirely. I wanted to try a different card, but I have no other mITX sized ones, and the power connector on the board prevents a long GPU from being inserted into the slot even if the whole thing is taken apart. This is looking pretty hopeless.

Update #3: With the card removed, here is what the Thunderbolt Details window looks like. Maybe that helps someone help me here. I need to find myself a different GPU to test with, I suspect this Gigabyte GTX1050Ti is somehow responsible...

AorusNoGPU

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@yukikaze The PSU in the AORUS Gaming Box behaves differently than the other eGPU enclosures I’ve used. Unless the GPU connects with an 8-pin connector, it may not power the card on. One thing I’d recommend trying next is to plug the Spectre x360 into its original charger in one TB3 port then proceed to plug the AORUS Gaming Box.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

I'll try that. The main issue with the PSU being the thing to blame is that the configuration works perfectly with my ZBook. I guess it might have to do with the ZBook not using PD, so your suggestion would still make sense.

Edit: Interestingly enough, a RX560 without a power plug works here.

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

It’s really odd how some 6-pin cards work while others don’t. @attachsnow tried several cards and GTX 1050 was one that worked for him. I have yet to get the 6-pin RX 580 to run with the AORUS Gaming Box.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

I have a PNY GTX670 wiwth 2x6-pin inputs. The card is far too large to fit the Gaming Box, but it fits with the fan and plastic cover removed since the PCB is actually short. I can install a fan to blow air across the cooling fins, so it can be made to work. Unfortunately, none of the stores nearby carry an 8-pin to 2x6-pin splitter, so I'll only get one sometime next week off Amazon to give it a shot. I hope this works, a GTX670 will serve this setup well enough without me having to spend more money. I'd kill for an R9 Nano, but holy heck those things are expensive right now.

ReplyQuote