Notifications
Clear all

Aorus Gaming Box (GTX 1070) - USB not working properly  

of  6
  RSS

mac80211
(@mac80211)

Hello everyone,

I've been using my Gigabyte Aorus Box (the GTX 1070 version) for some weeks now. Things are working pretty well so far with one exception: USB. I already posted about this some days ago on /r/egpu and encountered two other people who are having similar issues. As you guys are dedicated to eGPUs on this forum I figured to try my luck here.

I have connected the eGPU to an Intel Skull Canyon NUC running the Windows 10 Creators Update with the latest Thunderbolt 3 drivers using the Thunderbolt cable that came with it. The Aorus box currently runs on the original non-H2D 1.0 firmware.

The issue is as follows: Whenever I plug in USB devices, things go somewhat crazy. Input devices like my keyboard, mouse or even Steam Controller get detected by the OS. However, they stop working randomly for a few seconds and work again shortly after.

I also tried a generic USB soundcard. There is severe audio crackling when listening to e.g. music. Recording audio through the soundcard makes things go even worse.

I originally thought that the H2D update was the culprit as it reduces bandwidth for USB devices. After switching between the original 1.0 and 1.0 H2D firmware this doesn't seem to be the case to me anymore.

Strangely enough, things work just fine randomly on both 1.0 and 1.0 H2D. However, this only happens very rarely.

Is anyone of you Aourus Gaming Box users here on this board experiencing this as well? I'm still not sure if I have recieved a faulty unit from Gigabyte at this point.

I'd like to use the ports on the Gaming Box because my Skull Canyon NUC only has four. While I could technically use an USB hub I'd prefer using the 3 ports on the Aorus as I then don't have to put another small box on top of my table. And I guess that peripherals like keyboards and mouses don't consume that much USB bandwidth.

Thank you very much in advance! Smile

tl;dr

• AORUS Gaming Box 1070, Intel Skull Canyon NUC
  • Windows 10, latest TB3 drivers
  • USB input devices randomly stop working for a few seconds, audio crackling with USB soundcard
  • Happens on both firmware 1.0 and firmware 1.0 H2D

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

yes, it's not an Aorus specific issue, it's any eGPU.

Do this:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Show additional plans

Select High Performance for your NUC

Select Change Plan Setting

Select Change advanced power settings

Select the + sign next to USB settings

Select the + sign next to USB selective suspend setting

Select Setting: Enabled, change to DISABLED

That should fix your issue, please confirm that it does.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

obake78, Reinhard1004, ang3l12 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
mac80211
(@mac80211)

Looks like my issues are finally fixed now.

Thank you so very much!!! 😀

ReplyQuote
adam_0089
(@adam_0089)

Hello, i did exactly what you mentioned but still the gaming box is not connecting, when i plug it in it says Try improving the USB connection.

What should I do? it’s brand new and I still can’t use it

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@adam_0089, what computer are your using with eGPU? Check and update BIOS and Thunderbolt firmware from the manufacturer.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

Thank you. That did the trick for me as well. Do you have a solution for LEDs in the Aorus gaming box as well? The led option is not there. Aorus engine says vga instead of gaming box down to the left and there’s no led icon down to the right. 

NUC6i7kyk latest update and firmware installed. 

Aorus gaming box latest update and firmware installed. 

ReplyQuote
Driver
(@driver)

Posted by: mac80211

Hello everyone,

I've been using my Gigabyte Aorus Box (the GTX 1070 version) for some weeks now. Things are working pretty well so far with one exception: USB. I already posted about this some days ago on /r/egpu and encountered two other people who are having similar issues. As you guys are dedicated to eGPUs on this forum I figured to try my luck here.

I have connected the eGPU to an Intel Skull Canyon NUC running the Windows 10 Creators Update with the latest Thunderbolt 3 drivers using the Thunderbolt cable that came with it. The Aorus box currently runs on the original non-H2D 1.0 firmware.

The issue is as follows: Whenever I plug in USB devices, things go somewhat crazy. Input devices like my keyboard, mouse or even Steam Controller get detected by the OS. However, they stop working randomly for a few seconds and work again shortly after.

I also tried a generic USB soundcard. There is severe audio crackling when listening to e.g. music. Recording audio through the soundcard makes things go even worse.

I originally thought that the H2D update was the culprit as it reduces bandwidth for USB devices. After switching between the original 1.0 and 1.0 H2D firmware this doesn't seem to be the case to me anymore.

Strangely enough, things work just fine randomly on both 1.0 and 1.0 H2D. However, this only happens very rarely.

Is anyone of you Aourus Gaming Box users here on this board experiencing this as well? I'm still not sure if I have recieved a faulty unit from Gigabyte at this point.

I'd like to use the ports on the Gaming Box because my Skull Canyon NUC only has four. While I could technically use an USB hub I'd prefer using the 3 ports on the Aorus as I then don't have to put another small box on top of my table. And I guess that peripherals like keyboards and mouses don't consume that much USB bandwidth.

Thank you very much in advance! Smile

tl;dr

• AORUS Gaming Box 1070, Intel Skull Canyon NUC
  • Windows 10, latest TB3 drivers
  • USB input devices randomly stop working for a few seconds, audio crackling with USB soundcard
  • Happens on both firmware 1.0 and firmware 1.0 H2D

Hi all, same issue with MacBook Pro 13' 2017 TB. Can you help with solution? Thanks advance

ReplyQuote
tchuna
(@tchuna)

Hello few days back I bought new eGPU  Aourus 1080 gaming box. graphic and displays working properly (3 x 4K DELL P2715Q ) but, peripherals connected through eGPU and its USB (mouse and keyboard) freezes repeatedly. I tried modify USB power settings mentioned here. USB settings was not present in power plan settings so I need to add them via registry in this guide  https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51294-power-options-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend.html. But still after modifying  USB selective suspend setting to disabled mouse and keyboard still freezes. Are there any other settings which can solve the issue? When I use my only one USB port on my Lenovo Yoga 920 with USB hub integrated in my monitor it works properly.

ReplyQuote
Smackintosh
(@smackintosh)

Posted by: tchuna

Hello few days back I bought new eGPU  Aourus 1080 gaming box. graphic and displays working properly (3 x 4K DELL P2715Q ) but, peripherals connected through eGPU and its USB (mouse and keyboard) freezes repeatedly. I tried modify USB power settings mentioned here. USB settings was not present in power plan settings so I need to add them via registry in this guide  https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51294-power-options-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend.html. But still after modifying  USB selective suspend setting to disabled mouse and keyboard still freezes. Are there any other settings which can solve the issue? When I use my only one USB port on my Lenovo Yoga 920 with USB hub integrated in my monitor it works properly.

I have the same issues with the 1070 box, even after changing the registry settings.  There appears to be a bandwidth component to the problem too.  If I only use a keyboard, it seems fine.  If I add a gaming mouse, both the keyboard and mouse will freeze up.  My USB DAC also has tons of static if used.  I am anxiously awaiting a firmware update to fix these problems.  Come on Gigabyte.  This is a known issue.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

tchuna liked
ReplyQuote
tchuna
(@tchuna)

Thx for information. Please, do you have link to gigabyte forum or support where they track this issue? I would like to be informed how is the progress with it. I wrote ticket on their support, and they was like there is no known problem at all. Attaching their response lower.

Question: Hello, i got problems with my new eGPU. graphic working flawlessly but problém is with usb peripherials connected via eGPU like mouse and keyboard. They freezing for intervals. Stops working and after few seconds they work properly and again repeating stoping and running. I check the forums, seems like common problém with eGPU and also with your lower model egpu with 1070. Please what settings should i do to get it working properly. Will ther be driver/firmware update. If so when. Do you know about the issue. Are others also experiencing it? 11/20/2017 11:22 AM
Answer:

Dear Radek,

Sorry for the problem you encountered. The problem may cause by the improper connection. Kindly confirm the power cord and Thunderbolt 3 are connected well to power plug and laptop Thunderbolt 3 output and try again. If possible, try other USB keyboard / mouse or test other USB device and see if the problem remains or not. 

Meanwhile, the drivers which on our website are verified and without the problem. You can remove the current VGA card driver, then reboot the motherboard and install your VGA card driver from our web site, click here

If there is anything we can support further through our system, please provide us product serial number and invoice to verify channel information as different terms may apply.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

11/22/2017 2:42 AM
        Do you think this answer is helpful? Yes   No  

Product Info
Product Name: AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box
BIOS Ver: F20
Operating System: Win 10 64-bit
Driver Ver: 23.21.13.8831

ReplyQuote
 of  6