Notifications
Clear all

Aorus Gaming Box (GTX 1070) - USB not working properly  

of  6
  RSS

mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member

Yeah I have this problem too on my macbook pro 2017  win10 1709 + aorus gaming box 1080 using default firmware and the provided 1.5ft tb3 cable. Usb mostly works but intermittently hangs (probably about once every 10 seconds). Its bad enough that I had to switch to using a separate usb hub.

I also tried disabling the usb suspend settings but they didnt seem to help.

2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 (Q M1200) [7th,4C,H] + RX 570 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [build link]  

tchuna liked
ReplyQuote
tchuna
(@tchuna)

Just created new ticket on gigabyte support. Hopefully they will give me some info if they can replicate or guide me how to get it working properly via some settings tweaks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

mbp8k liked
ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)

This USB issue is only present in the H2D firmware update for the 1070, which I presume they may have used for the 1080 versions. I've been complaining for months on getting this fixed but it falls on deaf ears at Gigabyte, the guys here though are top shelf.

The advice of changing the USB settings work for some but not for all, and we only got it by digging around on here. I've lost hope that a new firmware addressing this USB issue will be released, as most can just plug a USB peripheral into a spare space on their machine directly. Please let us know if there is any progress on your ticket.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

tchuna liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The core of this expansion USB issue is with Intel and the enclosure Thunderbolt firmwares. While I don't know exactly the cause, Intel should be more upfront about addressing this usability concern.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tchuna
(@tchuna)

Gigabyte support requested quite detailed info about my system (firmwares, bios and drivers version) in few steps and pass it to some other team within the gigabyte company. They communicate quite frequent so looks like they definetly looking into it. Will keep you updated about the progress.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
w2best
(@w2best)

I have exactly the same problem!

Gigabyte gaming box is the only Egpu available in Sweden but unfortunately I'll have to return it after only testing it out. 

I have no faith that Gigabyte will solve this issue and I'm not going to have a 600 euro box standing on my desk without being used...

ReplyQuote
adamdavi3s
(@adamdavi3s)

Watching this thread....

I had a similar issue last night, with anything plugged into USB my HDMI (Oculus headset) kept disconnecting every few mins

unplugging the USB seemed to help (needs further testing)

i just assumed it was my precision m5520 and it’s crappy 2 lanes.....

2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 (Q M1200) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@all, the GTX1070 Gaming Box was released with a 25.25 firmware with the H2D issue. Subsequently, two new firmware were released for it at https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl

GTX1070 owners with USB issues should test the first firmware above. I believe this may be statically allocating USB bandwidth so that CUDAZ/AID64 H2D is lowered from 22xx to 15xx or (19xx) MiB/s, which is still better than half-H2D of 11xx of the 25.25 original firmware.

What that does is improve USB device responsiveness improves. Some CUDA-Z benchmarking would confirm this static allocation. This firmware downgrade strategy is also being applied by Mantiz whose Venus enclosure users are reporting the same USB unusability with full H2D firmware.

As for GTX1080 Gaming Box owners, no such firmware exists for you guys at present. Maybe ask for one or a partial refund for a USB hub since the advertised USB ports are not functional? The GTX1080 and GTX1070 Gaming Boxes have different device IDs so the GTX1070 firmware cannot be flashed to the GTX1080 enclosure using Intel's firmware flashing tool.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Good info thanks Nando. I have been one of the lucky ones with the USB ports working (2017MBP 15") I installed the F1.0 however are you able to explain the difference between the two? 

Thank you in advance!

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

Posted by: ICULikeMac

Good info thanks Nando. I have been one of the lucky ones with the USB ports working (2017MBP 15") I installed the F1.0 however are you able to explain the difference between the two? 

Thank you in advance!

Macs seem to have better USB support vs windows.  There are definitely driver differences that make the mac work better

The different firmwares don't do anything, for me anyway.

ReplyQuote
 of  6