Aorus Gaming Box (GTX 1070) - USB not working properly  

Page 2 / 2 Prev

theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
December 16, 2017 2:44 am  
Posted by: usafballer

I’m trying to update the firmware on my Aorus Gaming Box within Bootcamp, but I’m getting errors saying the Thunderbolt Service doesn’t exist.  

I am currently using the Aorus just fine in Bootcamp to play games via hotplug method.  Am I missing some software on my machine in order to fully utilize this thing?  The reason I want to update the firmware is because CUDA Z is only reporting that I’m getting 12xxx H2D bandwidth, which I believe means I’m running pre-1.0 firmware?

Here’s the how-to on flashing the enclosure firmware in Boot Camp. I used the AORUS Gaming Box and all went well.

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
joehoyle
(@joehoyle)
December 26, 2017 12:43 am  

I have I think very similar issues with the Aorus 1080 gaming box. I’m trying to use it with an Oculus which is pretty needy on the USB ports. It needs at minimum 3 USB2 ports at full bandwidth, and I can’t even seem to get 2 USB2 ports working at full capacity for 2 Oculus sensors. It seems too much of the PCI bandwidth is given to the GeForce or something like that. Any suggestions very welcome. Not sure if there’s a way to test my USB port bandwidth / reliability?

It seems the 1080 has no firmware update, which the 1070 received, so not sure if it’s a case of holding on for that…

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 26, 2017 1:04 am  

@joehoyle, please see if booting via apple_set_os.efi, which decreases H2D eGPU bandwidth, gives better I/O port responsiveness as described at:

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/guide-update-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure-firmware-in-boot-camp/paged/2/#post-26809

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
joehoyle
(@joehoyle)
December 26, 2017 3:37 am  

@nando4 as  it happens I only ever boot with apple_set_os.efi, as without it I can not boot anyway (windows loading logo hangs)

ReplyQuote
atomsapple
(@atomsapple)
December 29, 2017 7:36 pm  

Wanted to chime in with my experience. I upgraded to the AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box as part of the presale. I haven’t really used it since I got it, as I was waiting for Christmas to open my monitor. I’m using this with a MacBook Pro 13″ nTB Mid-2017, which has a 1TB USB3 portable hard drive, a USB3 Gigabit Ethernet adapter, and my monitor’s USB3 hub connected to it. Connected to the monitor is a gaming keyboard and mouse.

With apple_set_os.efi via rEFInd, CUDA-Z reports H2D of 16xx MB/s and when running, the keyboard and mouse basically go in/out every half-second. While playing games, I see the mouse and keyboard stop working intermittently, sometimes never coming back. I’ve done everything from turning WiFi performance to 25%, disabling my WiFi card, and then eventually PCI Express Root Ports #9 and #10, nothing makes it better.

I can very rarely if ever get Windows to boot properly without apple_set_os.efi via rEFInd. I was able to get it recently and with my USB peripherals attached, CUDA-Z was reporting the same 16xx MB/s. I never did try it with no USB devices plugged in to see if it would jump higher.

Gigabyte posted the 1080 FW, the non-H2D and H2D versions. I popped the card out and followed the instructions to flash the non-H2D firmware. I see my CUDA-Z has fallen to something like 11xx MB/s, but the USB issue is completely gone.

Gigabyte and other manufacturers need to figure this out. We’re told to leave performance on the table and have USB working, or get full-performance and have USB not work.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Eminent Member
December 30, 2017 12:00 pm  

Interesting atomsapple, I have pretty such the exact same findings. I think the H2D finding are gigabytes issue (??) but particularly interesting is the windows boot scenario, why does using apple_set_os.efi make the 1070 recognized once into windows so much more reliable than without?

I used to have much more luck NOT using apple_set_os.efi than I do now, in fact I have to use it every time to get my external display up. I haven’t tried delayed start with F8 yet. 

ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)
January 2, 2018 9:56 am  

I’ve never had an issue hot plugging my Aorus Gaming Box. The booting takes a little while but it rarely fails.

The apple_set_os.efi does decrease the boot time significantly however, you loose the H2D benefits, if you have the right firmware of course.

I’m not happy with the way the firmwares have been handled. The 1080 box has been released with the same issues regarding the USB. I cannot upgrade and get the same performance as others because I need to use the USB ports. It really sucks that I have to sacrifice to maintain functionality.

ReplyQuote
MasaKING
(@masaking)
January 8, 2018 5:10 am  

I’ve same issue.But turn off  “Bitlocker”,I can now use it normally.I don’t know exact reason why it can be used.

Why do I think so, if I reboot with TB 3 connected it will be the Bitlocker recovery screen.

My System is Lenovo YOGA 920 Star Wars Special Eddition,AORUS gaming box GTX1080.

ReplyQuote
PessimisticKarma
(@pessimistickarma)
February 4, 2018 1:58 pm  

Anyone in contact with Gigabyte/Aorus regarding these issues? It’s rather annoying, got the enclosure because it had to USB ports, but now they are just not working correctly. Having my USB keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB-C hub next to my TB3 port.

ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)
February 5, 2018 10:01 am  

The last time I had contact from Brian (Gigabyte), he did say they are working on it.

Hi Kim sorry to hear you are having issues with your AORUS Gaming Box. We have not forgotten the community that supported us, I have forwarded the USB issues to our team and we are hard at work solving some of these issues. – Brian Ngo

I’m considering purchasing Thunderbolt 3 port extender for my MacBook so I can have my peripherals plugged directly into the laptop.

ReplyQuote
ang3l12
(@ang3l12)
February 14, 2018 12:06 am  

Applying the non-H2D firmware, as well as the USB sleep settings in the power plan fixed my issues with my mouse / keyboard connected not only to my aorus, but also my thunderbolt dock. 

HP Spectre x360 13″ late 2017

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register