Aorus Gaming Box with old 6 PIN GTX 750 (will it work?) Edit: It does!

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Aorus Gaming Box with old 6 PIN GTX 750 (will it work?) Edit: It does!  

RSS

madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Question, would a repurposed Gaming Box work with a 6 pin GTX 750? It seems like some cards are less compatible with the Aorus boxes. I have a spare 750 that could be used now and am thinking that can be replaced with a better card later.

Thanks!

Early 2015 13" MBP with Thunder2 RX 470 on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.1 (Formerly)

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen and 2070 RTX Aorus Gaming Box (Custom)
Web development, Video Editing, 2D + 3D animation

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I am not sure my post is going to be very helpful, as it can be summed up as "maybe", but:

Have you checked out this thread?

Unfortunately there are no mentions of GTX750 successes there, but some of the later posts explain why some cards do not work.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Thank you @yukikaze! Actually, on reading more carefully, the last poster makes a really good point about the warranty. I get the impression these boxes might not be 100% reliable, especially monkey wrenching them. I think a more long term solution would be a proper box like the Node Pro.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

@veriestvarlet - Take a look at the Sonnet Breakaway 350W. Assuming you can live without power delivery to the laptop itself, they are a great choice due to their sub-200$ price right now.

The GTX750 will work in one until you grab a better card down the line.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the help @yukikaze. I did end up grabbing an Aorus Box from eBay (they had a sale and it was too low to resist.) Looks like the seller really took care of the box fortunately, and the 750 worked almost from the get go. 

One thing I didn't know, and haven't seen in many writeups, is that Thunderbolt 3 devices have to be Approved in Windows 10, as in there's a security layer there. At first, the box powering on but wasn't showing, and I was about to get frustrated but clicked on the Thunderbolt 3 software and did "Approve Attached Devices" and it worked great. It probably helps the 750 is a Gigabyte and that it has a 6 pin but those are speculation for sure.

Will make a writeup on the full setup.

ReplyQuote