AORUS GTX 1070 XMR mining performance

AORUS GTX 1070 XMR mining performance  

RSS

m4rkw
(@m4rkw)

Hi

If anyone has one of these running on a mac I'd be very grateful if you could post what H/s you get running xmrig ( https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig)

I'm wondering if it's worth the investment as an external mining gpu.

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

For a bit of fun I just got this working on my iMac Pro, so far only the CPU version (I have 10 core iMac Pro). With no tweaks to settings whatsoever, as I haven't played with that yet, I'm getting 382H/s. About $14 per month, yipee!

They also do a GPU version which I'm going to try next, hopefully that will do better...

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Update on this:

Using xmrig (CPU version) after tweaking the settings I am getting about 460H/s

Using xmrig-nvidia (GPU version) after tweaking the settings I am getting about 700H/s

Using xmrig-amd (GPU version) after tweaking the settings I am getting about 720H/s

Woohoo, I'll be rich soon as I'm running all three together (NVIDIA is the eGPU, my internal GPU is the AMD Pro Vega 64 16GB). I'm also still playing with the settings to find what's optimal.

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Stormbreaker
(@stormbreaker)
Eminent Member

I couldn't get it to work so far how did you go about detecting the GPU and configuring it?

I find xmr-stak to be easier in the setup process especially the compiled version. I recently wrote a guide on how to set it up with an amd eGPU.

It would be interesting to see how the hashrates compare. Your Vega should get a much higher hashrate even without an OC imo.

tbMBP 13" 2016 + RX580 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14 + Windows 10

Monero mining guide for AMD GPUs

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Stormbreaker

I couldn't get it to work so far how did you go about detecting the GPU and configuring it?

I find xmr-stak to be easier in the setup process especially the compiled version. I recently wrote a guide on how to set it up with an amd eGPU.

It would be interesting to see how the hashrates compare. Your Vega should get a much higher hashrate even without an OC imo.

Actually it was pretty simple, getting the amd version to work was much easier than the nVidia one (because the nVidia needed a patch in order to compile.

Basically I followed the instructions here, which at a high level are the following:

1. install brew and update/install the listed packages
  2. clone the git repository
  3. compile / build
  4. tweak the config

Here's my config as an example:

{   "algo": "cryptonight",   "background": false,   "colors": true,   "donate-level": 1,   "log-file": null,   "print-time": 60,   "retries": 5,   "retry-pause": 5,   "syslog": false,   "opencl-platform": 0,   "threads": [    {     "index": 0,     "intensity": 600,     "worksize": 8,     "affine_to_cpu": false    }   ],     "pools": [   {    "url": "hk01.supportxmr.com:7777",    "user": "48xCGSJtXzTVt45oz39qvkQEzUPkpyFKEG2sXSZthaLbcDepBw5WZnxXyBeHjQFJMB99dgdjMhG5WX8w1ZMo2YgpDaQV4qg",    "pass": "DANgerous25_GPU2_AMD:[email protected]",    "keepalive": true,    "nicehash": false   }  ] }

I don't really recommend the amd version though, because a) it totally hoses the system and b) it's not particularly profitable. In fact b) holds true for all three versions. I prefer the simplicity and output to say etherminer though.

I'll try xmr-stak and see what the hashrate is like. Stand by...

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

So using xmr-stak for Monero:

HASHRATE REPORT - CPU
| ID | 10s | 60s | 15m | ID | 10s | 60s | 15m |
| 0 | 49.3 | 50.1 | (na) | 1 | 48.9 | 49.7 | (na) |
| 2 | 50.0 | 50.3 | (na) | 3 | 49.2 | 49.9 | (na) |
| 4 | 49.4 | 50.1 | (na) | 5 | 48.6 | 49.4 | (na) |
| 6 | 57.7 | 58.5 | (na) |
-----------------------------------------------------
HASHRATE REPORT - AMD
| ID | 10s | 60s | 15m |
| 0 | 485.5 | 485.9 | (na) |
---------------------------
HASHRATE REPORT - NVIDIA
| ID | 10s | 60s | 15m |
| 0 | 757.2 | 737.0 | (na) |
---------------------------
Totals: 1595.7 1580.9 (na) H/s
Highest: 1598.9 H/s

Verdict: Similar hashrate, but much easier to use, no configuration to mess with, does CPU/AMD/NVIDIA in one hit. The build process is the same for other miners, even an idiot like me figured out the dependencies and got it working within minutes. It does hose the system like xmrig-amd, but I guess that is the same amd issue with my setup.

ReplyQuote
Stormbreaker
(@stormbreaker)
Eminent Member

Thank you for updating. I think these hashrates are fairly poor for the respective hardware. But then again I can imagine macOS just not being very mining friendly. Would be interesting to see the hashrates on the windows side of things.

tbMBP 13" 2016 + RX580 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14 + Windows 10

Monero mining guide for AMD GPUs

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
AusPA
(@auspa)

As an experiment I setup an Aorus eGPU 1070 GTX on my Laptop, a 2016 Dell XPS13.

It is mining XMR, averaging circa 590 H/s

According to ccminer, the GPU fan is max'ing at 36%, 73W, 63C

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote