Notifications
Clear all

AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box - Fan activity and noise  

of  3
  RSS

tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Hello!

Some days ago I got an AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box which is connected to my work laptop, a Dell Latitude 5591 (i7-8850H, Intel iGPU, NVidia MX-130 dGPU). TB3 drivers and firmwares on my laptop are up-to-date. I installed the latest drivers from the Nvidia website, not the ones from the Gigabyte website. Couldn't find any new firewares for the box so I guess that's fine.

While I'm waiting for a new monitor and a longer TB3 cable I made some tests and played around using the internal display and came across the following issues:

1. The GPU fans are always on even without any GPU load. They're constantly running at ~1050rpm while the GPU is at 34° C. I tried to reduce fan speed with the AORUS Engine application but nothing worked so far.
  2. The PSU fan is always on even when the laptop is on standby and power delivery is not used. I expected the PSU fan to stop after some time.
  3. Under full load the box is much louder than I expected. I have to admin though that this is my first (water-cooled) high-end graphics card since ages so it's of course highly subjective and probably nothing to complain about. It's surely also not helpful that the box is currently placed directly on the table behing my laptop. This will change though as soon as the longer cable arrives and I hope that the perceived noise level will decrease noticeably.

Overall I would have expected that at least when idle the box should be close to inaudible which it isn't. I don't see a reason why the GPU fans should be running at such low temperatures and zero utilization. Also during standby everything should be off. Is there anything I can do? Any other tools I can use? Or is it just how the box works atm and only a new firmware could help?

On the positive side: everything was a plug-and-play experience and being able to play Quake II RTX at 70+ fps on my work laptop is just awesome 😎

Thanks in advance!

Dell Latitude 5591 (i7 8850H, MX130 dGPU), AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tamm0r, It's unfortunately the nature of liquid cooling system. You always going to hear the pump. I'm curious why the fans don't slow down because the ones in mine do run at slower RPMs during idle. PSU always on is another Thunderbolt 3 Power Delivery necessity it seems. Hopefully a firmware update can refine these issues.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

@itsage, I'd be happy to hear the pump. All I hear are fans Evil

I did some further testing now... I disconnected the box and re-attached it after half an hour, not doing anything with it:

1. The radiator fans spin up immediately to ~1050 rpm, the pump starts working (I hear some "fluidish" noises for a very short moment, after that the fan noise takes over)
  2. After 10-15 mins the PSU fan spins up (not really audible)
  3. After another 15 mins the side fan spins upp (clearly audible)
  4. From now on none of the fans ever stop 🙁 

GPU temp is at 30° C, fan speed at 38% (!) according to both GPU-Z and Aorus Engine (latest version from two days ago). With AE I cannot switch off the radiator fans, manually increasing the fan speed however works fine so the tools is one step away from being completely useless. I also compared the driver from the Gigabyte website with its official counterpart from Nvidia and they're the same so there's no specific driver for the box.

grafik
grafik

Any ideas how I can reduce the fan noise? Is MSI Afterburner worth a try?

ReplyQuote
elana col
(@elana_col)

I don't notice the PSU fan when it's turned off, only the pump really. It's pretty loud while idle but it does get louder when playing games. The box is definitely louder than my previous pc but only marginally. It bothers me a lot more because it's on top of my desk instead of under it. I just wear headphones, I'm pretty content to know it's cooling so well. After all cool circuits are happy circuits 👀

But yea it did throw me off that it's so noisy in standby, I made a habit of throwing the power switch for my desk whenever I leave though. Not really too much effort imho. I looked in to it but I haven't found any options to otherwise combat any of these noise issues. If you do find anything please let me know, it is at the very least normal it seems.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

I just set this box up last week. My PSU Fan is a jet engine. Everything else is for the most part as silent as can be expected. The PSU fan is the tiny size and whines at a high RPM and turbulence noise.  Performance is great, temperature is super stable with a benchmark running constantly in the background. The little crappy PSU fan is the problem. It is moving almost as much CFM as the two top fans which I bet is unnecessary. I'm browsing posts and info about how to address this.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 Generation 7
Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Posted by: @itsage

@tamm0r, It's unfortunately the nature of liquid cooling system. You always going to hear the pump. I'm curious why the fans don't slow down because the ones in mine do run at slower RPMs during idle. PSU always on is another Thunderbolt 3 Power Delivery necessity it seems. Hopefully a firmware update can refine these issues.

@itsage, would you mind to have a look at which RPM exactly the fans are running when idle?

@charles_norris, did you find anything helpful yet?

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

@tamm0r, I did, I voided the warranty of the PSU and stuck a noctua 25mm fan in there and its amazingly better

Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

@charles_norris, interesting... I opened a support ticket with Gigabyte as I still believe that 1050rpm when idle is way too much. Meanwhile I believe this box was not built with quietness and thus "desktop-friendlyness" in mind but for reliability.

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

@tamm0r, indeed, the key is that the stock fan itself was junk. The new one I installed has comparable if not. Water CFM and I didn't change the fan profile at all so it's still running at 100%. It's just 1/4 of the noise or less, no whine or high pitch sound.

Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Posted by: @charles_norris

I voided the warranty of the PSU and stuck a noctua 25mm fan in there

@charles_norris, is the PSU fan running with 5V or 12V?

ReplyQuote
 of  3