AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box - Fan activity and noise

Notifications
Clear all

AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box - Fan activity and noise  

of  3
  RSS

Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

@tamm0r, I believe 12v 3 pin. The noctua universal fan is a 4 pin but runs fine with the 3 primary pins engaged. I'll take a photo of the box later

Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 Generation 7
Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ar33clb0-kZukmEZsb_W5ArEwFM-jTT4?usp=sharing

Aircraft jet engine take off video of stock PSU fan, and sample spool up to max RPM of the replacement. Photo of the box and part number of replacement.

Now, I have no more noise issues. The radiator fans and pump don't bother me at all. This PSU replacement is great.

However, still crashing 2-3 times per day by freezing the EGPU and often my laptop also. Working with a Lenovo thinkpad carbon 7. Otherwise happy with performance, allows me to game on my business laptop. I just have terrible stability so far.

Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Aircraft jet engine take off video of stock PSU fan

@charles_norris, holy crap, this is insane!

sample spool up to max RPM of the replacement

How did you "trigger" that fan spin-up?

Now, I have no more noise issues. The radiator fans and pump don't bother me at all. This PSU replacement is great.

My work place is in the living room and I'm quite sensitive to noise, that's why I plan to replace all fans inside the box. Disassembly seems only limited fun so I want to get everything fixed in one go.

However, still crashing 2-3 times per day by freezing the EGPU and often my laptop also. Working with a Lenovo thinkpad carbon 7. [...] I just have terrible stability so far. 

I don't have rock-solid stability but for now it's good enough. My setup is close to a window and when the sun literally burns onto the small TB3 plug it gets so hot that at some point my whole system reproducibly just freezes. I have an active 2m TB3 cable and even without direct sunlight the plugs get relatively warm so I guess the electronics inside just cannot deal with the additional heat.

Inside my laptop I also attached a small heat sink to the PCH chip as any TB3 connection caused chip temperatures of about 70°C which in turn caused my laptop fan to spin up noticeably. After I attached the heat sink the PCH temps stayed considerably lower and now my laptop is usually completely silent, at least when idle.

My laptop itself is placed on a simple laptop stand to improve air intake from below, but I'm already planning for a custom, ventilated solution. Noctua is going to make good money on me this month Mr. Green

But yeah, all in all it's a rather fragile setup 😕 

Otherwise happy with performance, allows me to game on my business laptop.

Same here. Being able to use my business laptop for gaming and other private matters was my main motivation to go with such a setup and being.

Dell Latitude 5591 (i7 8850H, MX130 dGPU), AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Btw, regarding your stability issue: which driver are you currently using?

Today I learnt that lots of people have problems with the newest GeForce drivers. The most stable and reliable version for now seems to be version 446.14 of the GeForce Game Ready driver. I just rolled back to that version because I had severe issue with the latest driver too. Warning: do not install the GeForce Experience application from that version as it has severe security issues (it's not needed for proper functioning of the driver).

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

@tamm0r

The spin up was by opening Apex Legends. By the way, it typically spins up like that only in the title screen. I think that there are parts of this box that either detect a game running or somehow calculate power draw as MAX COOLING NEEDED. I used MSI afterburner to cap the radiator fans at their lowest speed which does keeps my GPU temp at 38 non-game and about 50 during multi-hours of gaming on max settings (2560 × 1440). I couldn't figure out how to disable it, so that is why I replaced that fan.

I honestly believe all of the fans and pump are as quiet as anything I could get, its quieter than the laptop fan because it never goes above its min set RPM.

Thanks for the heads up about the drivers!

Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Posted by: @tamm0r

I don't have rock-solid stability but for now it's good enough.

I really should have kept my mouth shut. Yesterday my system crashed multiple times throughout the day and this morning another 4-5 times within 3 hours so I had to disconnect from the eGPU for some time to get work done. Also tried my passive TB3 cable but that didn't help.

However I noticed a strange thing: during normal desktop use (Virtualbox, Browser, PDF reader, MS Office) across 3 displays my mouse cursor started to freeze for a second every now and then, but much more often shortly before my system eventually crashed. Didn't have that behaviour the other days when I just played games.

What really baffled me was that my mouse cursor didn't freeze when I used the touchpad 😯 I plugged my mouse and keyboard directly to the laptop's USB ports and boom, no freezes anymore! At least for now - knocking on wood. Looks like there's a problem with the USB hub in my monitor where mouse and keyboard have been plugged in before. Or something else, I don't know. As I said, it's a fragile setup 🙁

During my research about freezes I stumbled upon this thread, might be of help for others: eGPU random freezes when power management set to 'Adaptive'

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tamm0r, I have this random freezing issues on the multiple laptops when running with an Nvidia eGPU. The only stable driver version I found to be 431.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

@tamm0r, Its been a while since I was deep in PC software and hardware. Is there a utility we can use to record system events to diagnose the root cause of the lockups?

My most common issues:

Engine Error - Apex Legends - Maybe resolved with some fixes from google for that software related problem

Screen freeze - System freezes during gaming (less often) or simple web browsing, especially after being on for longer amounts of time or coming up from sleep mode. Screen locks up, no response, disconnecting EGPU just leaves Laptop screen blank, requires hard reset.

95% of the time I am in Display 2 only, single screen (external).

Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
tamm0r
(@tamm0r)

Posted by: @itsage

I have this random freezing issues on the multiple laptops when running with an Nvidia eGPU.

Does it matter which enclosure is used?

Posted by: @charles_norris

Is there a utility we can use to record system events to diagnose the root cause of the lockups?

I'm not aware of any special tools for that. Windows 10 has an integrated Event Viewer (right-click on Windows start menu button) but on my machine there were no suspicious entries around the freeze/lock-up time. YMMV.

I realized however that I don't have the latest TB3 firmware installed :-x. Currently it's NVM 33 (whatever that is) and the newer one should be NVM 41. Since it's my work laptop I have to sort that out with our corporate IT support. I really hope to get rid of those crashes, had only 1 today so far (and 2 hours left until midnight).

ReplyQuote
Charles Norris
(@charles_norris)

I just updated yesterday and there was a TB and a power management update. No crash yesterday.

Aorus 2080Ti Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
 of  3