Apple Pro Display XDR with Mac Pro 6,1 2013

Notifications
Clear all

Apple Pro Display XDR with Mac Pro 6,1 2013  

RSS

(@yevgeniy_joss_ovsyaniker)

Hi dear participators of eGPU. Does anybody know, how it is possible to connect Apple Pro Display XDR to Mac Pro 6,1 2013?

Which eGPU could be connected to the Mac Pro by Thunderbolt 2 and that the eGPU's output would be Thunderbolt 3, to connect Apple Pro Display XDR?

Looking forward to hearing for you r suggestion ASAP, thank you!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@jake_kimball)

The Apple Pro Display XDR requires two DisplayPort 1.4 signals over Thunderbolt 3.

The BlackMagic eGPU works with the XDR because it has a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller with DisplayPort 1.4 inputs from the GPU connected internally to it. The downstream Thunderbolt 3 port will tunnel the DisplayPort signals to a Thunderbolt Display.

The problem with the mac pro 6,1 2013 is that it uses thunderbolt 2.0 not 3.0. This would limit how much bandwidth can be outputted so you most likely won't be able to run the full 6k resolution.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The Apple Pro Display XDR has multiple input modes that will work. By itself, the MacPro6,1 should be able to output 4K to the display using Thunderbolt 2.
For 5K, a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the GC-ALPINE RIDGE or GC-TITAN RIDGE might be sufficient (but you'll be missing the USB features of the display - USB ports, etc.). Two DisplayPort cables are connected from the MacPro6,1 to the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card. The display is connected by Thunderbolt 3 cable to the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card.

An eGPU should allow 5K or 6K. The fact that the MacPro6,1 only supports Thunderbolt 2 doesn't affect the resolution because the display is connected to the GPU in the eGPU, not the GPU in the MacPro6,1.

The BlackMagic eGPU can support 6K using dual HBR3 over Thunderbolt 3. All features of the display should be supported.

For other eGPUs, the capabilities and resolutions depend on the GPU.

A GPU that supports Display Stream Compression (DSC) can support 6K with a single cable using HBR2 DSC.

A GPU that does not support DSC can support 4K with a single cable (maybe 5K but only at 8bpc). Adding a GC-ALPINE RIDGE or GC-TITAN RIDGE could add support for 5K 10bpc using dual HBR2. The GC-TITAN RIDGE should be able to support dual HBR3 for 6K but I think the firmware doesn't allow it.

A GPU with a USB-C port such as the Radeon Pro W5700 should be able to support the USB features of the display. The W5700 supports DSC so it should also allow 6K.

Nvidia RTX cards have a USB-C port and support DSC, but they'll only work in Windows.

Connecting using a normal DisplayPort port is possible with a bidirectional USB-C to DisplayPort cable like the one sold by Moshi (supports HBR3, and is VESA certified). However, the display will be missing the USB features.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote