Arous Gaming Box 1070/1080 custom case/shell for bigger GPUs! Sheet metal design

Notifications
Clear all

Arous Gaming Box 1070/1080 custom case/shell for bigger GPUs! Sheet metal design  

RSS

Andrew
(@andrew_1)

Hello! First time posting here. so if the pictures are not big enough let me know.

A lot of people have the arous gaming box 1070/1080, it was pretty cheap at the time, one of the smallest egpu, and has a good power supply/PCB. I got mine for $400, which is very cheap. But the problem is that its soooo small that we can't fit any other gpus inside. There was this guy that designed a case for it, his design was not hard to design, but hard to make. Many panels and hardware, which would be more expensive to do in the States. (he ordered and made it in China) Link: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1848365-1-1.html

This is his post on a Chinese forum, I remember he posted it on here too, and there are so many ppl asking for the files. But he lost it in a hard drive swap? I used translation but anyway he lost it.

I've taken the challenge to design it with similar material as the original case/shell and simple manufacturing, its about 80% done, and here it is.

box
box 2
box2

The GPU used in the model is a MSI 3070 Ventus 2X, which I used cos its pretty wide/thick, mine gigabyte 3060ti its longer and thinner but it should fit perfectly too.

Its 18 gauge (0.0478in, pretty much the same as the real design) CRS, probably 1018? or any normal sheet metal steel should be good. There is only two pieces of sheet metal, one base and one cover.

Just need to be lasered out, some bends and press some hardware in. I plan to add a 3D printed base between the bottom of the case and the PCB, or just some standoff screws/spacers. Some rubber/foam will be used for support between them. It is optimized to be made in a machine shop tho.

The Chinese dude's design is a lot bigger than mine, I made mine as small as it could be but still be able to put most gpu inside, it's prob not big enough for a 3080 or 3090 tho, he also used two thick layers of sheet metal as the walls, and a lot of hardware, but there is no bending required and its simpler to assemble. 

You still have to de-solder the 24-pin then solder a right-angle 24pin, and get some extension cable for the 24pin and power to the GPU (8 pin).

I'm just checking the details and I'll make a prototype to see if every thing fits well.

I'll post all the files later, so those who are engineers can modify and make it to your liking. But anyone around bay area, CA wanna help? like if anyone works in a machine shop or any other engineers wanna help me with the design etc.

Cos this is just a side project I'm working on, some measurements might be off and I could prob make it a lot better by some way.

Anyway let me know what you think, what I can improve on and stuff, I'll post some update later this month prob.

Thanks! also I might be pretty slow to response, don't check on here often.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alex Zhan
(@alex_zhan)

I think this mode is more easily and chep. and the only shortcoming is it‘s not good looking 😛

IMG 2013
IMG 2014
IMG 2015
IMG 2016

macbookpro 15" late2013 Mantiz Sapphire Rx480 Xfx Rx5700

2021 Intel NUC11TNKI5 [11th,4C,G] + RX 6800 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Andrew
(@andrew_1)

@alex_zhan, That's actually a very interesting mod as well, but yeah like you said that's not very good looking. Plus its not exactly compact either XD.

And there is gonna be a lot of dust on the GPU and inside the case. Overall its brilliant and sketchy at the same time!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Andrew
(@andrew_1)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4894278/files

Here is the parts and assembly files.

Designed in solid works sheet metal.

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote