Notifications
Clear all

ASUS XG Station Pro Review - Cool, Calm and Collected  

of  9
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@damonhayhow No word on when it'll be available yet.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Locky28
(@locky28)
Eminent Member

Posted by: RobertRitter

I've coil whine with the XG Station and a MSI 1060 GPU, too. - It helps if you start a programm which keeps the graphics card a tiny bit busy. For my graphics card it is enough to start Microsoft Word and coil wineing is gone. Not all programms are working ie. starting an Browser had no effect.

I have nasty coil whine from my Rx580 as well. I'm wondering if using an external power brick means lower quality power feeding through.

Dell U2715H - Samsung T5 External SSD 500GB

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
damonhayhow
(@damonhayhow)
Eminent Member

Thanks @itsage.

2018 15" Macbook Pro I7 2.6 Ghz / 16Gb / 512 Gb / 560X. 2x LG Ultrafine 4K displays. Razer Core V2 eGPU, Radeon RX580, Sunnix UPD2018 Displayport adapter.

ReplyQuote
HonkusMaximus
(@honkusmaximus)

Is there anything on the chassis where a laptop lock and/or cable could be attached/looped through? For use with something like this for example:  https://www.kensington.com/us/us/v/7164/1686/combination-laptop-locks

2019 13" Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@honkusmaximus There's no Kensington lock slot on the XG Station Pro. The enclosure itself is fairly modular so you can use some type of combo chain lock to keep it locked at a desk.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
HonkusMaximus
(@honkusmaximus)

@itsage Thanks. I know there's no actual lock slot but was just curious if there were any easily accessible external protrusions that could serve a similar purpose.

It looks like on the XG Station Pro one would have to remove a side panel and thread the cable through part of the frame. Is there any less invasive way to secure it that you can think of without involving the removal of any panels? Reason I ask is I'm currently using a Mantiz Venus and it's simple enough to loop the cable through the lower section that serves as the "foot" if you will.

2019 13" Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@honkusmaximus The one solution I could think of is to loop the cable through the metal cover of the PCIe screws. Use an uncommon screw head here to both secure the enclosure and GPU. 

ReplyQuote
Steve
 Steve
(@Steve)

I just received an XG Station Pro today. Installed a two year old 980ti from EVGA. Connected to my Lenovo Legion y720 laptop in the hopes I'd be able to use both the internal 1060 and the 980ti for rendering in Blender. Plugging in an running the XG S Pro disables the internal card with no work around from Asus or Lenovo. I'm assuming there just aren't enough PCIe lanes... if anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear it!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
YanYangC
(@yanyangc)

not sure about the razer core v2, but since its essentially a taller v1, I can say that the v1 is significantly heavier compared to the xg station without its power brick

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rishin
(@rishin)

I am a complete noob in egpu! The gtx 1080 ti requires a 600 watt psu but there is 300 watt psu. How did you run a 1080 ti on it?

Dell Inspiron 5558

ReplyQuote
 of  9