BSOD when plugging Razer Core X Chroma i...

BSOD when plugging Razer Core X Chroma into Razer Blade Stealth 2019  

(@leon_woodward)

Hi guys,

I've a Radeon R9 280 installed in the Razer Core X Chroma eGPU which is connected to my Razer Blade Stealth (2019) via the included TB3 cable.

Drivers are up to date from what I can tell and the eGPU is working just fine, however if I stick the TB3 cable in while windows is up, the device will either immediately BSOD with error "driver verifier dma violation", or it will connect & disconnect 3 or 4 times before BSOD.

Removing the TB3 cable while windows is booted does not trigger BSOD. Restarting with TB3 Cable in works fine. It is only if I stick the cable in while the laptop's humming away.

I've tried with peripherals connected and with none connected, I've tried disabling the MX150 but still same issue

Any ideas?

Thanks

Leon

3 Replies
(@leon_woodward)

Update- I have installed a GTX 960 instead of the Radeon R9 280 with fresh drivers.
Behaviour is similar, however I no longer get BSOD upon hot plugging the eGPU into my laptop. Now the Nvidia driver is simply unrecognised and my laptop continues using the MX150 dGPU.
If i repeatedly plug in and out (giving a few mins between hot plugs) I invariably get BSOD.
The best thing however, is that from what I can tell, the very first hot plug after a reboot is successful. So if I start my comp from cold, realise I have not plugged in eGPU and then I do so- all good!
If I were to unplug my laptop while hot, show someone a funny video in another room, return and replug the system will not recognise the GTX960- and will eventually BSOD if I keep trying.
ugh!

theitsage
Admin
(@itsage)
Famed Member

This sounds like driver conflicts. Run DDU to remove AMD & Nvidia graphics drivers. Also disable Windows auto driver install feature in DDU. Restart once all drivers are removed. When you have same brand dGPU and eGPU, it's best to have both active (check Device Manager) before installing the latest graphics drivers.

1 Reply
(@leon_woodward)

Hi, its been a few weeks of me working woth Razer support to resolve this and I'm no closer. Current set up is the same, gtx 960 in the core x chroma connected to the RBS 2019. Behaviour is also the same, BSOD when i hot plug the chroma in (no prob from cold boot).
Ive reinstalled every driver at Razer's direction, including the TB3 drivers. I've updated BIOS, restored windows to recovery point and tried changing bios settings, no change and Razer at this point seem to be at a loss. 
Is there anyone else who has similar issues? Ill be looking for a warranty replacement soon if the issue cant be resolved. 
Cheers
Leon