Can the old gaming box 1070 use the new mini RTX 2070 ?

Notifications
Clear all

Can the old gaming box 1070 use the new mini RTX 2070 ?  

RSS

sunson29
(@sunson29)

Dear friends, 

We all knew that the latest GIGABYTE AORUS Gaming Box RTX 2070 as been released.  I have 2 questions here, hope someone can answer. Thanks.
1. I have old gaming box 1070, so, can i just buy the gigabyte RTX 2070 mini, and replace it ?
2. Can I use this for xps 9550?   

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@sunson29, according to the unboxing done, it seems that all the components for the Gaming Box are the same other than the GPU itself. If you are able to get your hands on a small form-factor RTX 2070, it should work without issue. Do keep in mind that from Gigabyte's website, their stand-alone SFF RTX 2070 looks like it has a smaller cooling fan. This might affect your temps to some extent.

Another tested the RTX 2070 Gaming Box on a XPS 9560 which only has 2 lanes for TB3. There wasn't much of a score change between what he got on the 9560 and the 9570 (4 lanes) which he purchased soon afterwards. Assuming the 9550 has at least 2 lanes of TB3, you should be fine.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sunson29
(@sunson29)

@ishikawa_goemon Thank you for your help.  Are you saying there is not too much differences between 2 lanes and 4 lanes base on Dell XPS ?  I am using 9550, only 2 lanes I know.  

So, as long as I buy that mini 2070 from gigabyte, I will be fine ?  Right ?  thank you again.  

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@sunson29, take a look at the Unboxing RTX 2070 thread. Another user there reported on benchmark scores with the 9560 (2 lane) and the 9570 (4 lane). You can see for yourself that the difference there and determine if the eGPU tax is worth it in your use case. The short version is that on higher resolutions (more than 1080P), you start getting more bang for your buck on this eGPU. 

As for whether the mini RTX 2070 will work in your Gaming Box enclosure, I'd hate to have you take my words at face value and end up not being able to just plug-and-play. However (sorry for being a politician about this), I can say the following:

-The Mini RTX 2070 will physically fit as the Aorus Gaming Box dimensions have not changed
-The Mini RTX 2070 should not be drawing more power than the PSU can supply. If your GTX 1070 has a 8-pin connector and draws around the 204-205watt range when overclocked, you should have no trouble powering the GPU. Given that, do check on the forums as some users mentioned have to make a small mod on the TB3 controller board's PCB to get other small form factor GPUs to work.
-I think ZOTAC also makes mini form factor GPUs so that may work as well
-The Mini RTX 2070 should be adequately cooled as the cooling fans for the case and PSU have not changed

If you have access to a vendor with a good return policy (e.g. Amazon or Microcenter), I think it is worth the risk as none of the knowns would indicate incompatibility. 

ReplyQuote
T430up
(@t430up)

It might not work. There has been discussion in this forum, read this post and links:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/troubleshooting-rtx-2070-mini-in-aorus-gaming-box/#post-52590

T480s i7 + Aorus Gaming Box 1070
T430 i7 + EXP GDC 1060

ReplyQuote
sunson29
(@sunson29)

Hi , thank you so much again for your reply in such details!!! 
I think I may need to give a call to the gigabyte directly.  Thank you again!

ReplyQuote
sunson29
(@sunson29)

thank you, but that is a bad news. I really don't want to pay the money again for the box.  I hope I can just simply buy the 2070 :((

ReplyQuote
Yang Zhang
(@yang_zhang)

I currently kind of make it work with the old 1070 gaming box on my intel nuc mini pc without any hardware mod. You just have to discount the nvidia gpu from the nv tray icon everytime before you shutdown your pc and disconnect the tb3 cable. Next time you start up pc, plugin the tb3 cable and enable the gpu again. This works for me for a few weeks now. In case the box is not recognized by the computer, you have remove the card and plugin the tb3 cable and replug the card back.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

I haven't had the same success without the hardware mods but having gone though it, my advice is to stick with the 1070 (or sell the whole box.) Unless you really need the RTX it's not likely much of a difference.

(Going down the Rabbit Hole) if you buy the GPU and can't get the new card to work via software, then you will have to modify the box and that really tricky, though I am bad at soldering. Also it was only worth it to me as I got the Box empty for a solid discount. (It wouldn't have been much of a loss if the box had been fried.)

Early 2015 13" MBP with Thunder2 RX 470 on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.1 (Formerly)

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen and 2070 RTX Aorus Gaming Box (Custom)
Web development, Video Editing, 2D + 3D animation

ReplyQuote