Share:

Cant make my setup work - Akitio Node + Vega 64 LC + MBP 15" 2017 macOS 10.14.3  

RSS

(@mate_kaszti)
February 23, 2019 8:49 pm  

Hi everyone out there,

I have a problem with installing the system. I have an Akitio Node EGPU box with Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 card installed. When i connect the system to my MBP i can see the box under my system report but the card is not recognized. I have the latest 10.14.3 OS installed. Restarting, hot pluging nothing is working. The card has native support on macos Mojave. THe card has no problem. It runs under a windows computer. 

I dont know what to do next. How to overcome on this issue step by step.

Please help!

🙁

Thank you

Mate Kaszti

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member
February 24, 2019 3:06 am  

When you say “The card has no problem under Windows”, you tested it inside of the Node with Windows? Or is your Windows box a desktop, and you placed the GPU directly on the motherboard?

If you didn’t test the GPU with Node on the Windows, then I’d say it’s your Node that isn’t working well.
My 1st guess would be power requirement.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 24, 2019 3:23 am  

What's the Thunderbolt firmware version of the AKiTiO Node? Also to keep in mind the power demand of the RX Vega 64. The stock 450W PSU of the Node will not be able to handle this GPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@mate_kaszti)
February 24, 2019 8:31 am  

I tested the GPU on a motherboard of a Windows PC. Works well.

Apart from the power requriments it should connect to the MBP on idle isnt it? Just to see if its working. If it would I would buy a new PSU for it. 

The firmware says under Akitio Node inXtron 25.1

Also recognized that using the stock cable for Akitio the system recognize the box but not the GPU and the GPU fan spins like hell. Using the Apple USB C stock cable from the charger it says Thunderbolt device can not be used and the fans are not spinning.

So my question is:
Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the Node?
Do I need a bigger PSU to make my MBP to recognized the card? (Just for recognition not utilizing the GPU) (If it will recognize it I would buy a big PSU to take out the full potential)

Thanks guys for the fast answers. I feel myself closer to the solution now 🙂

This post was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member
February 24, 2019 5:40 pm  

I can only comment from my experience with Vega FE/LC.
I used 550W PSU with no PD, and it wasn’t enough. 

From what I read, the Node has 400W PSU.
Many electronics needs higher power when they start up than when they are idle. GPUs are no exception.
The fans on my Vega also kicks in at high during boot up, but it calms down after it completes initialization. 
It’s only a guess, but it sounds like yours never completes the initialization.

On the side note, USB-C and TB3 are not interchangeable. The TB3 ports can be used as a USB-C port, but if you do (by plugging in anything USB-C, like your cable) it will no longer function as TB3 (until you unplug that is).

The firmware on your Node seems up to date. 

J

This post was modified 3 months ago

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
(@mate_kaszti)
February 24, 2019 6:16 pm  

Thanks Jyin,

I found out that the Node is up to date. 
Contacted to AMD and they also said that if the vents spins on full rpm without utilization is due to loss of power and continous restart loop. 

On the upcoming week I would swap out the stock psu with a 700W CoolerMaster Lite. 

I will share my results. Thanks for now 🙂

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member
February 24, 2019 7:51 pm  

Isn’t Coolmaster Lite 700 an ATX PSU?
I don’t think you can fit that inside of Node.
I am using ATX myself, but I have to let that sit outside of my Sonnet BB.

The Corsair makes the SF750 which is SFX, and may have better chance fitting inside of Node (No guarantee tho, since I don’t own either Node nor SF750).
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Platinum-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B07M63H81H

You will mostly likely have to use the paper clip, or something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-ATX-Bridge-Tool-Black/dp/B00NKQ4F98

J

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Tinktink
(@tinktink)
March 14, 2019 11:59 pm  

I actually upgraded my node psu to install a Vega 64. I went with an evga unit and it worked perfectly for use with my mb pro 2016. EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM - 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with DBB Fan, Includes Power ON Self Tester, SFX Form Factor, Power Supply, 123-GM-0650-Y1

just an FYI in case you are still researching

This post was modified 2 months ago

MacBook Pro 15" + Akitio Node (650W PSU Upgrade & Vega 64)

ReplyQuote