Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Code 12 on XPS 13 9380

Code 12 on XPS 13 9380  

RSS

chrismantle
(@chrismantle)

I recently got a Dell XPS 9380 with a i7-8565 to use with my RTX 2060 in a Razer Core X eGPU enclosure. Since installing the driver along with the eGPU, i have been met by BSOD as well as code 12 in device manager.  

I installed the driver from Nvidias website, and since the device won't work with my laptop. I have tried the enclosure and GPU with a XPS 15 previously, so it should work.  

I thought it would be a case of plug and play, so i really don't know what could be wrong?

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Download and run DDU to remove existing graphics drivers then go through the setup process for your eGPU again. Do you have Thunderbolt Control Center on your XPS 9380?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
brrronco
(@brrronco)

Just received my Dell XPS 9380, I have a Razer Core X Chroma paired with a Vega 56 and I have the same problem (Code 12). I tried removing the AMD drivers with DDU and reinstalling them but I still have the same issue. What else should I try?

Is this useful in any way?

I did try the following Thunderbolt drivers:
- Latest from the TB website: 1.41.645.0 (4/8/2019)
- Latest from the DELL website: 1.41.613.1 (2/27/2019)

I have the Control Center installed.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@brrronco I would recommend disabling the PCI Express Root Port #5 and #7 in Device Manager. These PCIe ports host the SD card reader and wireless card. They can be re-enabled once the eGPU is working. It's also best to boot the laptop up with the eGPU connected. If it works, you can try disabling only Root Port #5.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
brrronco
(@brrronco)

I disabled both ports, uninstalled the eGPU with DDU and reinstalled it, still Code 12. Did I miss something or should I try something else?
I really don't understand why the same setup is working for some people but not for us that just purchased the laptop. Could it be Windows 1903? I don't know if I should try a factory reset to the older Windows version, but then it would still automatically update...

Edit: I fixed it! I will post a detailed solution tomorrow because I have been at it for way too long and need some sleep. Short version is that there are two sections in the Bios with Thunderbolt settings, I changed some options in both. I then uninstalled the drivers with DDU, installed them again (the eGPU worked for like 3 seconds during the installation and then disconnected), then shut down the PC, rebooted and it worked!
I'll post my Bios settings tomorrow with a better explaination =) Thanks for the help!

This post was modified 1 month ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Asuforce
(@asuforce)

@brrronco

I can't fix error which same as you.
So could you tell me how to fix error 12 ?

ReplyQuote